Hair problem

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Spud
Andalucia.com Amigo

Hair problem

Postby Spud » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:40 pm

I am of the age when everything seems to be giving up. Now its my hair which seems to be getting thinner with no new growth. Does anyone know a remedy, hopefully not too expensive, either that or I must wear a hat all the time like Edna in Emmerdale.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Hair problem

Postby Enrique » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi Spud,
Look on the bright side, will only take seconds to wash and dry.
Get a Number 2 on top and 4 on on the sides, price around 8€
No comb overs please :thumbdown:

8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:19 pm

On a more serious note (shame on you Enrique :thumbdown: :wink: ) - massaging the scalp on a regular basis can be very beneficial. I have been told of 2 substances that apparently assist in hair growth - one is the gel from an aloe vera plant, and the other is olive oil - both massaged in well & left for as long as possible.

I have tried both (lost my hair thro radiotherapy 2 1/2 years ago, and it's still patchy & thin on top :thumbdown: ) - I found the aloe easier to use, and it didn't leave my hair sticky. Olive oil is fairly good, but tends to transfer to hats, pillowcases etc, and you need to apply neat shampoo to the hair BEFORE water to wash it, or you'll never get it out.... :lol:

I'd like to report that these are wonderfully effective, but as I've been very hit & miss in using them, it's difficult to say if they have done any good ! Certainly worth a try, especially if you're more consistent than I was !!

crazyred who posts on here has a good knowledge of herbal / homeopathic remedies - if she doesn't pop along with an answer, you could PM her... :wave:

Good luck - let us (or me) know how you get on :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi chrissiehope,
I have assumed that Spud is a male ,and if his genes dictate hair loss in later life then no amount of snake oil will restore his Billy Fury look.

PS. I was serious in previous post :thumbup:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi Enrique

I can see why you think Spud is male, but it was the reference to Edna that made me think Spud is female :) and although hair loss is, I am sure, distressing to males, for a female it can be devastating. I have had 2 ops for cancer; chemo; and radiotherapy, and I can assure you that the worst thing about all of these was the loss of the long hair I had had for 40 years :thumbdown: so maybe I am a bit touchy on the subject :oops: - no offence was intended :angel:

Anyway, male or female, I wish Spud all the best :thumbup:

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:44 am

No comb overs please

i don't know about that! I thought Bobby Charlton looked very becoming playing football with half a yard of hair hanging down on one side! What a cunning stunt. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:35 am

Spud, have you consulted your doctor about this problem? Sometimes there can be a physical reason for hair loss or thinning, thyroid problems or iron deficiency anaemia being two of the common ones (both easily treatable). About a year before I left the UK my hair literally started falling out in drifts, every time I washed it or brushed it. I was tested for all sorts of stuff but the doctor eventually attributed it to stress. I guess he was right because it stopped after I got rid of the source of the stress (work!) and my hair is now as thick as ever.

Good luck.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:33 am

Enrique wrote:Hi chrissiehope,
I have assumed that Spud is a male ,and if his genes dictate hair loss in later life then no amount of snake oil will restore his Billy Fury look.

PS. I was serious in previous post :thumbup:
Agree, assuming it´s male, just give in gracefully, nothing looks worse than silly comb overs. And the beloved ponytails of so many otherwise bald expats. More and more people seem to be losing their hair nowadays, I´m sure if there was an easy answer we wouldn´t have so many slapheads about. :lolno: Man up, as Enrique says, get a number 2! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Spud
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spud » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:01 am

Hello everyone. Just to let you know I am a woman and like Chrissiehope I find it very distressing. The doc thinks it could be stress related, living on the state pension money is always a problem. She told me to go to a herbalist but all they kept giving me was volume shampoos which made no diference. Never tried the aloe vera do you put it on straight from the plant or is there a lotion or something. My chemist offered me a shampoo that she said might work but as it cost 49 euros I had to decline. Wil try the aloe vera and see what happens. Thanks everyone.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:14 pm

Hello Spud,

I have some aloe vera plants in my house here( in the UK) - I just cut a leaf (or part of a leaf if it's big, ie more than about 5 cm long) off the plant, and then slice it lengthways and rub it all over my head, squashing it as I go to get all the gel-like substance. It looks a bit 'gunky' until it dries, but then it seems to make your hair look thicker - certainly not a sticky mess that needs washing out :D

p.s.the cut leaf 'seals' itself so the rest of the leaf can be used another day :thumbup:

p.p.s. if stress is the problem, see if you can find a therapist to give you an aromatherapy massage / indian head massage/ reiki / reflexology - they are all really helpful when dealing with stress :thumbup:

Good luck :D

Spud
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spud » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi Chrissie,
I have aloe vera on my terrace so I will give it a go. Hope everything goes well with you. I am very lucky my husband says he will still love me even if I go bald.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:31 pm

I had my hair falling out in big clumps when I was about 11 years old, the Doctors put it down to stress (my really horrid teacher at primary school) Mum was told to rub my scalp with olive oil. My hair did grow back eventually.

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Dear Spud

Have just consulted "The Fragrant Pharmacy" by Valerie Worwood. She also suggests asking your doctor to check if you have a thyroid deficiency or may be anaemic. She also suggests taking a vitamin B supplement - Brewers Yeast is the cheapest and easiest of these. You can make a good hair tonic by steeping rosemary, sage, thyme and lavender in any decent light vegetable or nut oil and use it to gently massage your scalp.

If you live in a hard water area add a few drops of vinegar to the water you rinse your hair with.

All these things are practical for those of us on very limited incomes. :wink:

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:58 am

Hi Spud,
As mentioned above, some medical conditions can cause excessive hair loss, as can some medications. Stress can be a definite cause as can hormonal fluctuations and nutritional deficiencies. As already mentioned, Vit B (especially B12), Vit C (especially if the hair is breaking and splitting), Vitamin E (which helps new hair growth) and Vit A (the beta carotene found in orange veg like carrots, pumpkin and sweet potato is easily converted by the body) can all be beneficial and also minerals such as Zinc, Iron, slilica & copper. Eating more Avocadoes and eggs can provide extra omega oils, vitamin E, B vitamins, fatty acids and silica.
I stopped using commerial shampoos and found that my hair was no longer clogging up the plughole after a shower. Instead I make my own from grated soap or use a bicarbonate of soda paste then rinse with an apple cider vinegar rinse. Apple cider vinegar can also be beneficial taken internally as hair loss can be due to a sluggish metabolism and a teaspoon in a glass of water per day may help.
Rosemary essential oil is fantastic for the scalp and can also help with problem scalp conditions as it is anti inflammatory and stimulates circulation, and adding some Lavender may help with relaxation and stress. I prefer to use it in coconut or jojoba oil as these also help to condition the hair and massage for about 20 mins per day.
Cutting out refined sugars, fats & carbs may also help and also upping antioxidants by eating more fruit and veg and drinking green tea may also help.
Maybe drinking some Valerian tea might also help you to relax and deal with stress better.

Supplementing and dietary changes may take 2-3 months to see any difference.
Hope this helps :D

Spud
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spud » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:42 am

Thank you all for your kind advice. :wave: