Vitamin D deficiency

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Vitamin D deficiency

Postby Wicksey » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 pm

Living on the sunny CDS I never thought I would suffer from Vit D deficiency but I have just discovered that I am! The recommended levels in the blood should be 30 - 80ng/ml (the Dr said 60 is ideal) and mine was only 18ng/ml.

The reason I had it tested is that I suffer from inherited (very) high cholesterol and when I tried taking Statins in the past they gave me very bad joint pains. Our Dr has found that sometimes intolerance to Statins is due to low Vit D levels, so I had it tested. It is quite worrying as, being a female of a certain age ( :thumbdown: ) I need to be sure that calcium is being absorbed for which Vit D is necessary as well. I see it also helps prevent joint and muscular pain, so maybe when I start my course of tablets I shall become superfit :thumbup: .

crazyred
Resident

Re: Vitamin D deficiency

Postby crazyred » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:15 pm

Wearing sun cream can also stop vitamin D absorbtion. 10 mins in the sun (90% uncovered) daily should provide all the vitamin D you need. If not and you decide to supplement, make sure it is Vit D3 which is easier for the body to uptake.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:44 pm

Thanks Crazyred. When you say 90% uncovered ..... do you mean my body 90% uncovered of clothes??? :shock:

I don't use suncream apart from what's contained in my face cream, but then I don't sunbathe, but do sit out and have lunch etc and am out and about in the garden, or going for a walk. I find it hard to believe that the blood count is so low, but have ordered some Vit D3 and will have another test in a few months to see what's happening.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:05 pm

10,000 to 20,000 IU of vitamin D are produced in 30 minutes of whole-body exposure... :oops:

Full article...........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D

"do you mean my body 90% uncovered of clothes???"........... :shock:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:38 pm

My calcium level is just under normal range according to my recent blood test. I don't think my vitamin D was checked though. Think I might start taking a calcium and vitamin D supplement. Hope you can get your vitamin D level up, Wicksey.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:47 pm

As few pieces of clothing the better but you should be OK with legs, arms and face exposed, or at least arms and face. People with dark skins need longer sun exposure. I'm sure I read somewhere that late afternoon sun is better because of the different type of UV but I'll have to check on that.

Eat a handful of nuts like almonds (will also help with the cholesterol) & brazil nuts as they contain high levels of calcium, while sitting out in the sun and try adding sesame & flax seeds to your diet (the omega oils in the flax may also help your joints). I've just started making a really nice seeded loaf which even the kids are enjoying!!

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/artic ... alcium.php

It also has tofu on the list which I would steer clear of as soya can adversely affect hormones.
Hope that helps :D

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:02 pm

So glad Wicksey posted as that info is very useful for me, too. Many thanks, crazyred, I've bookmarked the site.