Translators in Hospitals

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Translators in Hospitals

Postby Ursula » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:14 pm

Does anyone know if they speak English in Carlos Haya hospital in Malaga or would a translator be required :?:

It is for a friend who is having a triple bypass.

Thanks
Ursula

Babby
Resident

Re: Translators in Hospitals

Postby Babby » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:21 am

Hi Ursula

There is a team of voluntary translators at Carlos Haya Hospital. They come round automatically to see you if you are English, you don't even have to ask. And they explain everything that is going to happen to you in great detail. These people are absolutely marvellous - and why should you have to pay a translator in a hospital or clinic?

So Ursula, tell you friend they can rest assured that a translator is not needed and the service is absolutely free of charge.

Best regards

Babby
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:29 am

What a great reply....very reassuring for Ursula
:thumbup: to Babby.

Netty
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Netty » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Does anyone know if these translators still come round as other half is going in for treatment next week.
If not, does anyone have the name/number of a good interpreter at Carlos Haya hospital and also interpreter who might be available for non hospital matters as well ( centro de salud etc)
I have good days and bad days at Spanish and am not fluent unfortunately

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:37 pm

I hope Ursula's friend is OK. An update would be appreciated.
Dave

Netty
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Netty » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Just an update for anyone going in to Carlos Haya for treatment, there is a wonderful team of volunteers who come round in the morning to give interpretation help if you need it.We were getting by, but it was absolutely wonderful to have somebody who is fluent to interpret for the doctor and I cannot praise these volunteers enough.
Also for info I did not realise you needed to bring your passport as well as your health card- luckily I had some copies in the medical file with us but this was not liked by the admissions desk. Unfortunately the original was at home in Almeria I don´t know what would have happened if I didn´t have the copies.There is a sign up saying you need to bring national identity card or passport, but of course when you get an appointment and live in another part of Spain you don´t see the board.