Beginner Golf buddy anyone?

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
dingobingo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Beginner Golf buddy anyone?

Postby dingobingo » Wed May 28, 2014 8:55 am

I've just taken up Golf (1 week ago), and am battling the driving range embarrassment at the moment and wondered if there's anyone living near Baviera Golf who would like to take up Golf or has just started that would like someone to share that embarrassment with? A problem halved is a problem shared :-)

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Beginner Golf buddy anyone?

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:16 am

May I wish you good luck with your golf, it's a great game. There are not many golfers on this Forum. I play off 12 at the moment so I think we would frustrate each other. I also find Baviera expensive and not really challenging enough once you have played it a few times.
I have started playing at El Candado, just to the east of Malaga. It's very cheap, 9 holes and punishing; you need to think your way round it.
Last edited by ajtg1952 on Wed May 28, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingobingo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby dingobingo » Wed May 28, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi, thanks for letting me know. Would also be interested in anyone wanting to take up the sport but hadn't had anyone to do it with.

I picked up my first club last week and I only have experience of the driving (or missing) range there at the moment. Being on the course is a long way off for me :-)

All the best.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed May 28, 2014 7:26 pm

The best tip i can give you, have lessons before you get all the bad habits.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:38 pm

costakid wrote:The best tip i can give you, have lessons before you get all the bad habits.
Do you play golf?

Why I ask is that I have never had a lesson. When I was 20 my handicap was 3. In over 40 years I have added 9 strokes; not bad I think.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu May 29, 2014 8:27 am

I do play and was self taught. I then went for lessons and realised I was doing everything wrong. If you played off 3 with no lessons you must be a natural. Imagine how good you could have been. If you think of how many people play golf not a great percentage ever break 90 and even less 80. Breaking 80 is about 1% I think.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu May 29, 2014 8:29 am

another thing, If dingo has not been shown how to hold the club he may be holding it like a baseball bat lol

dingobingo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby dingobingo » Thu May 29, 2014 11:24 am

It's not a golf stick?

Had a couple of lessons to begin with and will have some more. My biggest challenge now will be transitioning from hitting irons off the tee to hitting them off the ground! Youtube tells me I need to hit down on the ball. Looks tough to me

GRANVILLE
Andalucia.com Amigo
Location: Rio Burmuza, Canillias de Aceituna near Velez Malaga

Postby GRANVILLE » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi Dingo hows the golf going, getting better? I live near Baviera and played it for the first time 2 weeks ago. I am back in England at the moment and wont be back until end of September but if you fancy a round let me know and we will arrange it.

dingobingo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby dingobingo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:21 pm

Howdy,

It's coming along slowly thanks. I can now it balls off the mats rather than those rubber nipples. My 8 iron through to 5 iron all seem to go the same distance however, but I'm told those mats aren't ideal as there's not as much give as there is with grass/dirt.

I'm out of Spain for a while now, perhaps back at the end of the year, perhaps next year. I'll give you a nod when I'm back. Have fun!

GRANVILLE
Andalucia.com Amigo
Location: Rio Burmuza, Canillias de Aceituna near Velez Malaga

Postby GRANVILLE » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Glad to hear you are sticking with it. Mats ar'nt ideal but its a start and you can build up to going on the course. In January next year i am moving to Spain full time so get in touch any time. Any excuse to play. Good luck with the golf.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:41 pm

I agree with Granville, mats at driving ranges are not good with irons as can't get below the ball. Don't worry about distances with mid to high irons, that will come with practise on the course. The other problem on the range are the halls, they don't go very far.
Hope you continue to enjoy it; golf is a great sport.

dingobingo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby dingobingo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:34 pm

Thanks! Someone else mentioned about the balls not going as far too. Cheers.

V-dog

Postby V-dog » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:53 pm

Have you heard of 'The Dan Plan' ?

Check out Dan McLaughlin for some interesting reading and hopefully some inspiration & motivation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_McLaughlin_(golfer)

http://thedanplan.com/

Hope this helps & Best of luck :)