Hay Fever

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
telboy
Resident

Hay Fever

Postby telboy » Wed May 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Never suffered with it until I came to live in Spain, but I suppose there's a price to pay for living in the campo amongst Olive trees. I am especially bad at the moment despite taking and antihistamine (ceterazina), it seems to have little on no effect. :wtf: :thumbdown:

Can anyone else recommend a remedy, jab or something from the medico :?:

terry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Hay Fever

Postby El Cid » Wed May 13, 2015 5:39 pm

Try Polaramine tablets.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 14, 2015 9:47 am

I'm on Becanase nasal spray at the moment - I find that tables give me side effects so I try to avoid them. It does take a few days to take affect but it's improving slowly.

It's a bad year this year :thumbdown: If I do need to take tablets I have Loratadina which is a non-drowsy antihistimine.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu May 14, 2015 11:30 am

Sympathy from me. I've had hay fever now for 4 weeks or more. It goes away then returns. Apparently this is the worst spring for hay fever in 10 years. I've tried antihistamine tablets and umpteen sprays - all to no avail.... until .... Ta-ra! It sounds a bit disgusting but this works for me. Still have the hay fever but I can now breathe.

25 cl water (boil it first and allow to cool)
half tsp salt
half teaspoon bicarb.

Now the disgusting part. Put mixture in a syringe (without needle) or ask pharmacist for a "skoosher".
Introduce plunger of choice into nostril and squeeze contents. The solution will either come out the other nostril or down your throat. Repeat with other nostril.

Note. If you have air-con, switch it off as you are trying to keep in a humid atmosphere. You could also invest in a humidifier.

Best of luck.
Dave

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Mon May 18, 2015 9:23 am

Thanks guys :thumbup:

Still suffering 3 weeks on, I'll give other over the counter products a try but I'll give Mowser's a miss. Breathings not too bad since we sleep with a window open during the night. Itching eyes and streaming tear ducts are the main problem not to mention blurred vision (soft focus) due to excessive eye protein deposit.

Just tried a nasal spray called disneumon pernasal fenilefrina. I think its all purpose for colds and other nasal allergies etc, will let you know how I go on :!:

terry

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon May 18, 2015 12:22 pm

I suffer. Try Honey from bees in your area. Must be local honey. It is not an old wives tale.

Paddy Maclachlan

Postby Paddy Maclachlan » Mon May 18, 2015 1:08 pm

I'm very glad to hear I'm not the only one suffering! I used to have hay fever as a kid but never as an adult until I moved here this year. It gets so bad at night it wakes me up. All recommendations and suggestions are welcome. Sympathies to the original poster!

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Wed May 20, 2015 2:28 pm

Mine just started, I have no idea which plant it is that is causing it.

I know it is not legal but as it is decriminalized, marijuana works for me (don't even need to inhale it, just walking into the same room as somebody else that has is enough).

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 21, 2015 8:52 am

We now leave the country. Living indoors without opening windows. Mask and goggles outside. Tablets.
It just gets impossible.
I reckon the peak olive pollen in the Poniente iwas 16th may this year. The rainif it comes next week should neutralise what is left. I am back on Wed.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu May 21, 2015 9:19 am

Olive, Where do you go because hay fever is not unique to Spain. Im English and have had it all my life.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 21, 2015 10:25 am

Not many olive trees in England!

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 21, 2015 10:39 am

They seem to be cutting down the olives around here and planting mangoes. There are zillions on the coast and hills here now so I wonder if that will cause problems when they all mature and flower. My worst hay fever ever was when living in France ... for me a good reason for not staying there. I would wake up and immediately sneeze over 20 times and would continue to snuffle and sneeze all day ... it was misery.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu May 21, 2015 11:47 am

If you are clear that it is hay fever then you cant go far wrong with Beconase.
However
If you think it might be Rhionitus instead ( the symptoms are very similar ) try Budesonida :
Its a Steroid Nasal Spray, available without Prescription for less than 4E all though it is a prescription medicine.

I never had hay fever until coming to Spain and don't have now, its recurring Rhionitus

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu May 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Sid, A guy as clever as you should know that hay fever is caused by many different pollens not just olives.
I have had hay fever since I was 3 years old and I never set foot in Spain until I was 19.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 21, 2015 12:37 pm

In case you didnt read Olive's post, she is allergic to olive pollen - hence my comment. The official pollen reports show that olive pollen is rated as being high at the moment in this area and not much else.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 22, 2015 10:10 am

Mrs olive suffered from hay fever in the UK. It was fairly easily controlled. Where we live there are three triggers. The yellow rapeseed like weed, then holm oaks followed by olive trees. Olive pollen being by far the worst.

Mr olive (me) never had hay fever till three years ago. After working in the groves last year at the height of the pollen I became so Ill that the doctor wanted me in hospital. That clinched it and from then on we both escape the pollen each year. Where? Britain is not too bad. No olives here! Sure our airways are a bit restricted but no glue eye or unable to breathe issues. Funnily enough there is even pollen in the air when you are flying. You can detect it.

Good thing for us is that after rain, olive pollen is neutralised so ten months of "paradise"

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Fri May 22, 2015 1:36 pm

Tried Loretadina as recommended by Wicksey, its beginning to work after about four days, however maybe the pollen count is subsiding due to the now cooler weather, even without rain. Temps were hovering around 38°C for a week or two in our area which didn't help whilst the trees, plants and grasses were producing pollen .

cheers all - terry

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri May 22, 2015 2:58 pm

Its rained twice quite heavily in Malaga this week so that may help. I was sneezing a lot on Thursday even after the rain.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon May 25, 2015 9:19 pm

I am back Thursday. i will let you know how i get on. No trouble in UK . Good to hear it has rained. :thumbup:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue May 26, 2015 9:12 am

More rain on Monday. Grrrrr