cost of MRI scan

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: cost of MRI scan

Postby Wicksey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:50 am

That's good hear Chrissie.

From what I understand an MRI is not an XRay and uses magnetic resonance which I don't think is dangerous. There was something on TV a few weeks back about how it works and why the machines are so expensive. Worse thing about the MRI is the noise and the tunnel which I found very scary first time. Second time I kept my eyes firmly shut and sang songs in my head to the beat of the machine :crazy:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:09 am

Wicksey wrote:..Worse thing about the MRI is the noise and the tunnel
The MRI scanners that Clinica Rincon aren't the tunnel type.
They have a scanner head that is positioned above the part to be scanned. So when my knee was scanned I could see everything as normal. Of course when my shoulder/ neck was scanned all I could see was the scanner head.
I found the whirring/ clicking noise very soporific and fell asleep. The operator said it was quite normal for people to fall asleep.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:13 pm

My MRI ones were as Wicksey described - quite claustrophic if you're that way inclined, and very noisy (tho' some are worse than others). They offer headphones with either the radio or you can bring your own music, but I find you can't really hear it properly, so like Wicksey, I close my eyes & just listen to the noises - I have even been known to fall asleep while my head is being scanned !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:16 am

gerryh wrote:
Wicksey wrote:..Worse thing about the MRI is the noise and the tunnel
I found the whirring/ clicking noise very soporific and fell asleep. The operator said it was quite normal for people to fall asleep.
Cheers
Gerry
That was a quiet one! They stuck ear defenders on me and it was still very loud. At least second time around I knew what was coming!

toaster150

Postby toaster150 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:50 pm

Can you use the results you get from Spain to get treatment in the UK ,i think i have to have ct scan or pet scan ,i think ct scan is the cheaper option ,information of hospital websites would be great if anyone knows ,i just had ct scan in UK on NHS ,but it will probably be my last .