Residency and Health Cover

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 7:01 pm

Residency and Health Cover

Postby RichardTownsend » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi all,

My partner Wendy and I have a house in Spain and over the next year we intend to spend 3-4 months there in total.

I have some questions about applying for residency in Spain and the implications for health cover.

There seems to be a '3 month' criterion which determines whether we need to apply for residency or not. Is that 3 consecutive months or 90 days over a year?

As we are early retirees, it seems that we may have to prove that we have health cover. That is an additional cost of becoming residents. This also implies that once we have residency we can no longer use the Ehic card. Is that correct?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a health cover provider that meets the minimum requirements of Residencia?

Many thanks for your help



Andalucia Guru
Posts: 2309
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 12:36 pm
Location: Torrox Campo

Re: Residency and Health Cover

Postby Lyric » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:12 pm

I think the requirement is for 90 consecutive days, therefore if you are visiting for 'extended holidays' of one or two months at a time (or less than 90 days) then there is no requirement to register and no need to get health cover, the EHIC card applies for emergencies.
Most, but not all, medication is available over the counter should your extended provision from your GP run out.

User avatar
Andalucia Guru
Posts: 7393
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:56 pm
Location: Los Alcázares, Murcia

Re: Residency and Health Cover

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:24 am

A bit of (understandable) confusion here: if you stay for more than 90 days you are supposed to register as a visitor. This does not make you a resident, just a registered visitor, so you continue to use your EHIC and/or private medics and it is wise to have appropriate travel insurance.
If you are in Spain for over 183 days in a calendar year you become tax resident, and of course you will have already registered as a foreign visitor. If you intend to move here permanently it is probably better not to have previously registered, as this can start a clock ticking on the time allowed to import personal possessions - such as a car - free of import taxes.
I have not heard of anyone getting into trouble for not registering strictly to the rules.....yet.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I [email protected] to disguise a cough.

lmj56 Amigo
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Residency and Health Cover

Postby lmj56 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:30 am

Peter that is how I understand it. We are looking at this ourselves to time our move. :thumbup:

Andalucia Guru
Posts: 2260
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:49 am
Location: East of Malaga

Re: Residency and Health Cover

Postby elusive » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Basically only apply for residencia olif you are moving here full time. If you are spending x amount of months here you are basically just a tourist. Use your blue card and,or get travel insurance for repatriation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest