Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby katy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:40 pm

There is a lot of fake news re. What is good for us...disgraceful.
All the panic buying seems to be for cheap stuff, toilet rolls, rice and pasta. Loads of unknown brands of baked beans etc from pound shops. Funny looking online at photos of peoples cupboards. :)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:12 pm

And there I was thinking that one positive of not having to work in the evenings was that I would at least get to see some footy :problem:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:23 pm

Usually the shops are empty mid afternoon but barely a parking space in Mercadona or Lidl at 3:30. Shelves were empty! I had genuinely run out of a number of my usual store cupboard goods and toilet rolls so I had to shop around for toilet rolls, couscous and tinned tomatoes. Barely any paper goods, tinned or frozen veg, milk, meat, no eggs in Mercadona. I hope things settle down a bit in time. It feels like a war zone! Not used to that here as we never usually have that panic buy thing, at Christmas etc like they do in the UK, so very strange to see so many people in the shops and so little on the shelves.

Just seen the UK Foreign Office now says only essential travel to Spain :?

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:32 pm

Wicksey wrote:
Just seen the UK Foreign Office now says only essential travel to Spain :?
Spain is a big place and it only specifies a few areas at present not the entire country

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain
I So Bella tis you

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:39 pm

120 plus deaths and 4,200 infections in spain now. State of emergency called for two weeks. Intresting to see what the death toll at this time last year for flu was?

One positive, spanish classes suspended until at least the end of march :thumbup: :wink:
Last edited by elusive on Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:44 pm

I So Bella tis you

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:50 pm

Lots of Tonic in Morrisons where we are and no one realy buying it...The virus is spreading fast but perhaps not as fast as Spain and Italy yet, i guess the social side of kissing of cheeks won't have helped in both of these countries.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:30 pm

Parts of the Costa Calida where we live are in "lockdown". We can only leave our town to buy essential foods or pharmaceuticals and there are roadblocks. There is little fresh food left on supermarket shelves. All bars, restaurants and entertainments are closed from midnight for (so far) for two weeks, and our local chippy knows of no financial assistance plans like suspension of autonimo etc.
The main reason is selfish inconsiderate Madriduenos escaping the city and bringing their germs with them. Look out if you have neighbours from Madrid, La Rioja and otherr hotspots appearing in their holiday homes, and for goodness sake do not greet them with handshakes and/or kisses!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:32 am

costakid wrote:The share market has been battered. Ive stopped looking, driving me mad watching money dissapear.
Unless you cash in your shares you wont loose. So most shares will bounce back in time. Sit back and hold on for the roller coaster ride.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:34 am

We made a trip to our nearest carrefour this morning to buy some towels and on leaving the store with three bath towels draped over my arm a woman entering stopped, stared at me and I swear you could see her thinking "Towels! I didn't realise I needed towels, I'd better buy some before they sell out" :crazy:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:46 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:
Wicksey wrote: Just seen the UK Foreign Office now says only essential travel to Spain :?
Spain is a big place and it only specifies a few areas at present not the entire country
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain
My initial quote was misinformation from the Telegraph who later corrected it to say it was only isolated areas.

Jet2 have rather over-reacted this morning as they have put out a statement to say 'we have taken the decision to cancel all flights to Mainland Spain, the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands with immediate effect'.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:18 pm

Jet 2 was very close to Spanish border when all their flights turned around, weird. Although they are all running round like headless chickens right now. But they could be in financial trouble. OH cancelled a golf match in Marbella for this weekend. Most are now worried about not getting back. BA allowed him and friends to cancel.

Will be a blow to a lot of the expat tourist bars on the coasts which run on a shoe string.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:37 pm

We are booked to fly Jet2 at end of the month, to return a month later. On return the car is due ITV, my permiso needs renewing and the tax return is to do...we need to be in Spain, so if we can go can we get back?
Not life-threatening stuff but high nuisance value!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:00 pm

Can't all those things be done before you go?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:16 pm

peteroldracer wrote:We are booked to fly Jet2 at end of the month, to return a month later. On return the car is due ITV, my permiso needs renewing and the tax return is to do...we need to be in Spain, so if we can go can we get back?
I'd wait and see if you can fly out in the first place before worrying about getting back!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:11 pm

peteroldracer wrote:We are booked to fly Jet2 at end of the month, to return a month later. On return the car is due ITV, my permiso needs renewing and the tax return is to do...we need to be in Spain, so if we can go can we get back?
Just never know. Would it be better not to fly to UK until things are clearer? How it is now the situation could get worse. Just read today that 3000 Madrid fans flew to Liverpool for the Anfield match a few days ago. Could be a big increase in victims around there next week.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Sanchez is considering a total closure of Spanish airspace.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:18 pm

I think the dilemma while be self-resolving..

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:44 pm

Latest news, total lock down it appears, from Sur in English :
Measures to be announced include the restriction of movements in the whole country, allowing only those that are essential, from 8am on Monday 16 March.
Citizens will be ordered to stay at home, unless they need to go out to buy food or medication, to travel to and from work, to care for dependents or to go to the bank, or in cases considered as force majeure.
There will be greater presence of the security forces on the streets and the armed forces are now all under the orders of the Minister of the Interior, Fernando Grande-Marlaska.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:42 pm

Just read a BBC news item that Jet2 flights from UK to Spain have been turned around mid air and sent bck to the UK.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris