Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:13 pm

Speaking with a friend before Sid and agree with your comments re. the Hoarders having no more room for stuff. Apart from a few empty shelves it was business as normal today from what I could see. As an aside just heard land boarders are closing in Spain but can't find a reliable source to back this up. Got it on a whatsapp from an old Spanish friend.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:48 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:As an aside just heard land boarders are closing in Spain but can't find a reliable source to back this up. Got it on a whatsapp from an old Spanish friend.
Seems to be true. Reported by https://www.facebook.com/DrivingSpain/ too. Apparently starting at midnight today.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:58 pm

Itv news have just confirmed land borders closed from midnight.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:34 pm

You can read the details here:-
https://english.elpais.com/society/2020 ... virus.html
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:36 pm

Can anyone confirm whether Correos is working normally? I sent a package with masks in it for use in the pollen season, as local supplies at Agri stores and olive co op had sold out, for OH. Still in transit.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:11 pm

Correos website says yes but maybe delays.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:04 pm

I have a photo clip of this but for some reason I'm unable to upload it here, however :

I live adjacent to the Hotel Reina Isabel in Las Canteras, Las Palmas, I was at my window today checking out the street outside which for two days now has been absolutely dead, there are cops on literally every corner, making sure that everyone is complyiing with the emergency laws.

At 14.00 two grossly overweight Brits, North westerners as far as I could tell, Mancunians maybe, both heading towards the beach with towels and a beach bag which I found strange because I know they would have been warned against this because my friend Cristobel works in the hotel.

The couple were blocked by two Policia local and asked what they were doing, mr fatty replied, and I heard it quite clearly, "who's asking" ? one of the cops replied that there is an emergency law in place and that they were restricted to the hotel except for emergencies, mr fatty who's clearly a bully and probably used to getting his own way began to point at the cop and said" listen pal, Iv'e paid two grand for this holiday and no Spanish c****s gonna tell me what to do, at this point for some reason I looked at my watch, after 1 minute and 8 seconds and several pairs of other cops later the two were on their way to their ultimate lockdown, fabulous result, these jerks truly deserved to be put in their place.

Having said that we do not normally have this kind of low life in Las Palmas, I truly wish I could share the clip but it's not happening !

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:17 am

There’s always one, or in this case, two. Excellent result.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:46 am

So with this restrictive EU border closure why are the airlines not cancelling flight and refunding. The EU have announced it , we have flights booked for april and can still book more. If I am correct it means no eu member can leave their country to travel to another member state for 30 days.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:03 am

Come on Costakid, you know as well as i that travel companies are the greediest in the world next to the insurance companies and banks, there's no way they'll stop selling and no way they'll refund, the corona virus will do one good thing for mankind and that's to expose the global results of corporate greed to the masses.

As of now I would not book anything anywhere !!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:16 am

Totally Manic, a friend is due to fly to Malaga on Saturday with Ryanair. He knows his holiday is off but has not heard a thing from the airline. To all intents and purposes the flight is still on.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:29 pm

That was a brilliant story Manchesteral.

Friends in the UK said that they will be going to the local village shop and the farm shop for food, as it was like a riot in the supermarket. If one good thing comes from this it may support small local food businesses. I've always had a large store cupboard of food mainly because I like to cook a wide variety of meals so have everything in stock from various jars of curry paste to tins of dolmades (I stock up on the stuffed vine leaves when Lidl has a Greek week last summer!). I think that we have plenty of food for a number of weeks and with the neighbour's greenhouse offerings won't go short on veg either. It's just the boredom which is a killer for me and the fact I've had all my various dancing classes and dinner dances cancelled .... it's the only exercise I enjoy and I miss the social side too. I do wonder when normality will return.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:45 pm

Wicksey wrote:That was a brilliant story Manchesteral.

Friends in the UK said that they will be going to the local village shop and the farm shop for food, as it was like a riot in the supermarket. If one good thing comes from this it may support small local food businesses. I've always had a large store cupboard of food mainly because I like to cook a wide variety of meals so have everything in stock from various jars of curry paste to tins of dolmades (I stock up on the stuffed vine leaves when Lidl has a Greek week last summer!). I think that we have plenty of food for a number of weeks and with the neighbour's greenhouse offerings won't go short on veg either. It's just the boredom which is a killer for me and the fact I've had all my various dancing classes and dinner dances cancelled .... it's the only exercise I enjoy and I miss the social side too. I do wonder when normality will return.
A year or 18 months? At least that was the timescale of the last flu pandemic in 1918 - but with a world war going on, poor hygiene and little understanding of viruses

But our parents and grandparents were called to fight a war. We're being asked to sit in our houses. We can do this.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:53 pm

I think the real problems with the quarantining will come after another couple of weeks when folk start getting stir-crazy. I have just walked up to our Mercadona for a few essentials and passed a van parked up, back door open and some sort of generator running. As I got close enough to read the signwriting I could see it was a mobile dog-grooming service! Don’t think that comes under essential travel or service.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:20 pm

peteroldracer wrote:As I got close enough to read the signwriting I could see it was a mobile dog-grooming service! Don’t think that comes under essential travel or service.
The Government have backtracked on the hairdressers staying open and the service will only be available in people’s homes, and provided for the most vulnerable members of society for reasons of hygiene.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:05 pm

There will be no time to be bored. Several hours a day reading the news, e-mailing, messaging and phoning old folks, family and friends, cooking inventive meals with unusual ingredients, reading all those books bought years ago to get stuck into 'one day' but never had time, until now, turning out cupboards and rummaging through stuff to get things in order so that if death comes speedily with the virus we do not leave a mess for someone else to clear up, evenings playing Scrabble and doing jigsaws and catching up with zillions of DVDs we never had time to watch before, my OH making a new chicken hotel and gardening like never before in the vegetable patch, etc. etc. I'm writing my third book (I know you all know, sorry) so all this lovely time with NO interruptions is simply bliss. It's wonderful.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:15 pm

Manchesteral wrote:...travel companies are the greediest in the world next to the insurance companies and banks, there's no way they'll stop selling and no way they'll refund...
I'm keeping tabs on the situation for a relative who is in Fuertaventura, originally due to fly back to Liverpool tomorrow with easyJet. Flight has been cancelled and they're awaiting further info on rescue flights. According to their website, however, if you choose not to travel, you can get a refund: https://www.easyjet.com/en/policy/coronavirus-spain
I think I read also that they have waived the fee for changing flights to another date (presumably post-corona, whenever that might be)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:21 pm

Spot on lavanda. I do not get people who cannot think of anything to do at home. Total lack of imagination. Heck people could even talk to each other.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:23 pm

Airlines such as Easyjet, Ryanair etc won't cancel any flights till nearer the time, they play on the hope that things may change so they would rather hang onto your money till the last moment..In the meantime they rely on people to panic and cancel their flights voluntarily which results in a complete loss to the passenger. Sit tight and do nothing until they tell you that they are cancelling your flight.
For those travellers who wish to change their travel dates ...Easyjet and Ryanair are allowing passengers to do so FOC. Sounds good but it won't be easy for many people, holidays will be abandoned due to the financial circumstances the CV has caused many families.. Also holidays are booked well in advance at places of work and are not easy to change and fit in with all holiday staff bookings and to add further complication there is no guarantee that the new date bookings will go ahead... no one has any idea when this situation will improve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:23 pm

costakid wrote:So with this restrictive EU border closure why are the airlines not cancelling flight and refunding. The EU have announced it , we have flights booked for april and can still book more. If I am correct it means no eu member can leave their country to travel to another member state for 30 days.
I have received emails from BA and EasyJet offering a credit, change or refunds on pending flights. I have also been told that Premier inn have changed their terms and conditions to allow changes to my booking.

Greedy is not something I would be accusing the airlines of at this very moment, Pending bankrupt might be a better description. Thousands of jobs are at risk.