Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby katy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:12 pm

Just said 150,000 British stranded have been brought back from Spain and more to come. Bet it is feeling quiet for those of you living in tourist areas.

K&LTupper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby K&LTupper » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:38 pm

katy wrote:Just said 150,000 British stranded have been brought back from Spain and more to come. Bet it is feeling quiet for those of you living in tourist areas.
Last edited by K&LTupper on Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:38 pm

Sadly the loudest noise has been traffic on the autovias with cars carrying those still ignoring the law and fleeing the big cities for their country homes.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:40 pm

katy wrote:Just said 150,000 British stranded have been brought back from Spain and more to come. Bet it is feeling quiet for those of you living in tourist areas.
Here in Las palmas there are virtually no tourists all hotels, bars and restaurants closed.

I am officially stateless at the moment, having told the U K authorities that I am moving here full time I now find myself in the position where I am unable to complete my residencia application, I'm actually wondering what my legal status is now that my 90 days are up ?

K&LTupper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby K&LTupper » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:45 pm

K&LTupper wrote:
Where did you see or hear that? That is a lot and tbh not really noticed that kind of mass exodus from Spain in this area on the CDS

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:59 pm

I left on the thursday before lockdown kicked in an Malaga airport was dead. I actually thought everyone had left who needed too. Flight less than half full.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:31 pm

from the Guardian this afternoon:
'The UK’s foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, has announced plans to fly home thousands of British citizens who have been left stranded by the coronavirus pandemic.

The government will launch a £75m airlift initiative which includes a mixture of charter flights to special ‘priority countries’ and subsidies for tickets on commercial flights where they are still running'

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Raab also said that 150,000 had been rescued from Spain, 5000 from Cyprus and xxxx from Morocco. Sky News report.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Thats prob the amount of peole that were there when lock down started. people on packages were brought back at their stated time.hotels have been shut since around the 26th so its been quiet for a good while Airports have been on go slow.certainly not processing tens of thoundsands at every airport in the last few days.

The main complaints are from ppl stuck in far flung countries like india ,thailand etc.where theres not loads of flights everyday like in europe

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:48 pm

Street bingo been played in the village today. Someone with a megaphone calling out the numbers as people were sat on their balconies with a G&T. Not sure how they collected their winnings though. :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:06 pm

K&LTupper wrote:
K&LTupper wrote:
Where did you see or hear that? That is a lot and tbh not really noticed that kind of mass exodus from Spain in this area on the CDS
Read on Tupper. I don’t do fake news.

K&LTupper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby K&LTupper » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:17 pm

Many thanks yos

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:29 am

Lovely little exchange of numbers going on but, can we really understand anything from numbers being tossed around? I thought the statement meant that 150,000 HAD been evacuated from Spain, etc, etc, which is maybe about right for tourists in early Spring. Who knows? Now there are people in far-flung destinations who need to be 'rescued' ...

Manchesteral; don't worry. My sister and brother-in-law have broken the 180 day rule, by a long way, having spent time in Spain on and off all last year and since the start of October — but it's not like they have a choice.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:41 am

Man with covid arrested in the middle of nerja yesterday for doing a runner from a madrid hospital!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.diar ... t_amp.html

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:30 pm

Lavanda wrote:Lovely little exchange of numbers going on but, can we really understand anything from numbers being tossed around? I thought the statement meant that 150,000 HAD been evacuated from Spain, etc, etc, which is maybe about right for tourists in early Spring. Who knows? Now there are people in far-flung destinations who need to be 'rescued' ...

Manchesteral; don't worry. My sister and brother-in-law have broken the 180 day rule, by a long way, having spent time in Spain on and off all last year and since the start of October — but it's not like they have a choice.
Ahh, I thought it was 90 days ?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:39 pm

90 days then you have to apply for resident status if you plan to stay and 180 is when you become tax resident regardless of whether you have resident status or not.So two different things.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:03 pm

Assuming they did not exceed the 183 days in 2019 the clock would have started ticking again 1st January, so they have until July 2nd to get out (and stay out) of Spain before the taxman would be interested.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:25 pm

Thank you elusive, I was are of that, the problem is that I have now exceeded my ninety days but am unable to process my residencia application because the government offices that deal with this are now not processing applications, at least 3-6 months I'm told ! It's not a huge worry, I just want to get it done !

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:27 pm

Reports say the situation re. Virus is now worse than Madrid in Segovia and Soria. Some patients will have to be transferred to other regions.

https://www.elmundo.es/espana/2020/03/3 ... b45f1.html

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:38 pm

All the whinging re. Madrilenos using their second homes and in UK too but have noticed the woke celebrities are quietly travelling.
Elton John has suddenly popped up in LA along with Harry and Markle. Richard and Judy claim to be stuck in Florida and the Queen of green Emma Thompson Quietly tucked up in Scotland after having moved moved to Venice because of Brexit or Boris whatever. Do as I say not as we do.