Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby olive » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:26 pm

It all smacks of knee jerk or lack of reaction to something unknown. E.g. how far the virus travels on sneeze

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:32 pm

Question: If we have been shut down for 15 days or so, we are told the incubation period is 15 days max, how come the number of infections is doubling every three days? I don't understand the Maths. Is shut-down not effective?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:56 pm

Just watched the bulletin on Sky, the infection spread in the UK is below 1 through lock down. Without lockdown it would be 3 so it is working but it does take time for this to kick in. Obviously if none of us ever left our houses the spread would be gone in a few weeks but with people working and shopping etc this will never happen.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:18 pm

gerryh wrote:
Paulinmalaga wrote:
gerryh wrote:How does driving on your own in your car for a few extra kilometres effect the "exposure to contracting or spreading this virus" ?
Cheers
Gerry
Simple, if you drive from an area such as velez Malaga with No confirmed cases to an area nearby with Confirmed cases then it's more of a risk.

"
Yes but, if you live in an area without any confirmed coronavirus and your nearest supermarket is in an area with confirmed coronavirus and the one a further few kilometres up the road is in an area without confirmed coronavirus what are you supposed to do?
Cheers
Gerry
Ask the Guardia see what they say. They may ask to see your evidence of local contagion by supermarket location
I So Bella tis you

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm

It's you who brought up the driving to a place with possible contagion as justification for not driving a few more kilometres.
I prefer Devil advocates reason that dring further increases the chances of an accident and possibly putting a further load on the emergency services.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:40 pm

During my 22km drive yesterday and then 22km back I saw two trucks, one tractor and three cars. There's more chance of being hit by an asteroid than another vehicle. However, it may be different in Andalucia.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:54 pm

gerryh wrote:It's you who brought up the driving to a place with possible contagion as justification for not driving a few more kilometres.
I prefer Devil advocates reason that dring further increases the chances of an accident and possibly putting a further load on the emergency services.
Cheers
Gerry
As you wish :crazy:
I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:03 pm

Pamela1 wrote:Sound's like last year, same pattern, Feb 2019/20 both lovely followed by cold and miserable weather during April, last Easter turned out to be a dead loss.
The weather is expected to be good this weekend both here in the North of Spain and in the UK. I was going over on Saturday.

My wife tells me that cases are falling in this area and that they are thinking of closing the Basque Country to stop anyone going in or out. Not sure how much of that is true though. I know some of the bolthole villages where the virus hasn't touched strictly control cars in and out.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:09 pm

Here in Gran Canaria we've been on strict lockdown for 18 days now everyone is following the rules (except for a stupid English couple who were carted away and fined heavily €1600 I believe) we have 9 confirmed cases and 1 death so the lockdown rules appear to be working here! Having said that there are only about 850,000 inhabitants on the whole Island and apart from Las Palmas, Arucas and the tourist traps down south the rest of the poulation are scattered around in much smaller communities, we will wait and see !

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:13 pm

markwilding wrote:
Pamela1 wrote:Sound's like last year, same pattern, Feb 2019/20 both lovely followed by cold and miserable weather during April, last Easter turned out to be a dead loss.
The weather is expected to be good this weekend both here in the North of Spain and in the UK. I was going over on Saturday.

My wife tells me that cases are falling in this area and that they are thinking of closing the Basque Country to stop anyone going in or out. Not sure how much of that is true though. I know some of the bolthole villages where the virus hasn't touched strictly control cars in and out.
I suspect we will all be in for limited movement for some time between countries, provinces and so on. Especially if a hot spot. Maybe testing at checkpoints and immigration will be introduced. Ok proceed, fail straight to self funded isolation for three weeks as a min

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:49 pm

Lavanda wrote:During my 22km drive yesterday and then 22km back I saw two trucks, one tractor and three cars. There's more chance of being hit by an asteroid than another vehicle. However, it may be different in Andalucia.
Yep, that attitude is rife it seems in countries affected by this plague. F*ck everyone else I'll just go on as I please.

I'm not scared of catching it but yet stay local, I just want the restrictions lifted so life gets back to normal. However the more traffic on the road and the more people out and about the further that wish vanishes in to the future.

And as for your asteroid comment.....beyond belief.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:01 am

elusive wrote:
Not sure how you are only supposed to shop in a little village that has a small corner shop and not much else.the one time ive been in the local village butchers (hardly no meat) half of the old women in the village were sat there gassing! no social distancing in there.
OTH and i were discussing Spain's Virus figures yesterday, i brought to his attention a phrase i often heard used * no pasa nada * it was often used by the elderly and middle aged who either had no education or very little..Couldn't help but notice this line in your post Elusive.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:45 am

Yep, that attitude is rife it seems in countries affected by this plague. F*ck everyone else I'll just go on as I please.
:lol:

Lovely little comment DA but since my OH came back from the UK on Thursday 5th March he has not left our finca once. Not once. I have left twice to shop locally, once to the vet and once to Carrefour 22km away. On that trip I shopped for others, of course, especially gluten-free foods for one person in my village. Extremadura is not a crowded place full of shops catering for everyone's needs locally. Cross people that like to criticise other people without knowing the full story always make me smile but, I understand how self-isolation can make a few people, not used to isolation, a bit cranky. I won't be going out again for two weeks, locally or not, but I am sure you can find something to complain about in that, as well. I don't mind. Go ahead if it makes you feel less frustrated.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:02 am

Some clarification for those not sure about lock down. 35 Q&A and when the law is broken.

https://elpais.com/espana/2020-04-01/35 ... ridad.html

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:38 am

Devils Advocate wrote:
Lavanda wrote:During my 22km drive yesterday and then 22km back I saw two trucks, one tractor and three cars. There's more chance of being hit by an asteroid than another vehicle. However, it may be different in Andalucia.

I'm not scared of catching it but yet stay local, I
I'm a little worried especially for my wife who works in a hospital. When she was tested though I did think that I hope we have it because the cold symptoms we had were really mild.
I see Matt Hancock, who has had it, is out of quarantine. That would be the best scenario. On the one hand, not contracting it means being worried but nothing else. On the other. getting over it should mean that's the end of it.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:07 am

I know how you feel Mark about your wife, against my will mine too is also having to go about her business as what's now classed as essential in these times. I also agree that catching it with the mild symptoms and recovering is a good thing to happen.

I'm more wary of passing it on though, I may have it and not know, that's why I stay local, plus the village we live has everything you'd ever need plus more, negating the need for a long trip to a town or city to visit a supermarket, which we only use for basics anyway in normal times.

What has riled me, and not really Lavanda if I'm honest is peoples self centred attitudes.

I'm as you know involved in the classic/sports car community running an online group myself and taking part in others.....all events this year are off and all the cars are off road and under cover.

You then get the idiot (many of them in fact) who'll post with a big smiley face saying he'd took his "whatever car" on a run for bread....it's allowed isn't it? Then he'll pop in that the shop was 20 miles away wink wink. These people get shot down thankfully by the majority. They always back off then and add that they were also collecting supplies for the vulnerable.

Just stay as local as you can, easy really. It's not really all about you is it? it's about others.

The more people flaunt the advice the more governments will tighten the restrictions, you get almost to the point of "if you can't beat them join them"

I dislike Nicola Sturgeon with a vengeance, but the lady said one of the most sensible things I've heard from a politician during all this. She said if your life feels normal at the moment you are not doing your bit.

Hope your Mrs is ok too Mark and people leave the roads free for her.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:29 am

Lyric wrote:Torrox, in the "Campo"
As I sit on my lofty perch and look around I see about eight houses, there are more further up the track. They have to pass me if going to civilisation. The cars I see daily five are Spanish non-campo residents and the three English residents )I don't see them every day. But the Spanish come and go daily. One is retired Local Police so that's ok then.
Nobody cares.
A campo shack way across the valley is owned by a Guardia Civil officer. Normally it's just a weekend place but since lockdown he has moved into it permanently. He comes and goes by moto every day but there's also a large van plus another car there. Last weekend there was a different car visiting them. The van is in and out all day long, we see them go out several times a day. Last weekend as we look down the valley we saw a number of the usual weekend places inhabited, so nothing's stopping them here.

When I say I want to visit a particular supermarket, they are all in the same vicinity. I cannot live on the food they have in the tiny pueblo corner shops and cannot source the cat food I need either. As Gerry says, I am travelling alone in my car. I go to the local and nearest supermarkets and food shops and I only go out to do that, and I do as large a shop as I can when I go out. I've been out 3 times in as many weeks.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:25 pm

That’s about us as well, Wicksey, but without all the weekend people.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:28 pm

Sounds like very little has changed for some then Wicksey. :crazy:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:51 pm

Anybody, no matter where you are got some good stories of communities pulling together in this crisis?

I really didn't think it could happen nowadays but I'm blown away to see it is. Local shops laying on deliveries here, butchers van has just left ours. Local Taxi's now not earning are doing free click and collects from supermarkets for the frail and vulnerable, usually with locals doing the online ordering for them. All sorts going on.

Then last night, a local nursing sister put a request in on the village facebook page. She said with the no visiting restrictions the patients in her ward were now running short of soaps, smellies, body washes, tooth brushes, ladies things etc. and asked if anyone had any new/unopened items to donate.......just leave them on the step and she'd collect when she finished her shift. My Mrs got a bag full of stuff together, mainly Christmas gifts and the like from the girls in work she'd not used, we put them on the step and sure enough they were collected.

The nurse has just now posted and put this picture up of a selection of stuff she collected, saying there is too much to take in on this shift....straight away a local airport run/minibus firm said they'd take the rest and follow her to work.......It got to me I'll admit. Some true superstars out there.