Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Paulinmalaga
Resident

Re: Coronavirus

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun May 17, 2020 4:36 pm

But thankfully No protests that I've heard of here in Andalucia
I So Bella tis you

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun May 17, 2020 4:49 pm

Lavanda wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:58 pm We could have a HUGE moral discussion about the balance a society needs/wants to strike between protecting the old, ill and vulnerable and allowing young people to get on with THEIR lives and plan and work for THEIR futures and also pay the taxes needed to support the old, ill and vulnerable. I make no judgements but some things seem blinking obvious.
Good post Lavanda, yes i totally agree.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 17, 2020 5:13 pm

I can't see the point because the would just take us back 70 or more years. but I would argue against the survival of the fittest.

But if it were to happen, my bet would be that the ones who advocate it the loudest , would be first in line to bleat how unfair the world is when it the time came for them or one of their loved ones to be thrown to the wolves`

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun May 17, 2020 5:23 pm

markwilding wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:31 pm
Beachcomber wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:22 pm It is not just the UK. There have also been protests in Spain as well as other parts of the world.
Agree crackpots aren’t limited to the UK. I notice that some still prefer not to accept the scientific evidence that this is not caused by 5G masts.
Apparently this "2 metre social distancing law" is pushing some of the Flat Earth Society members over the edge.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun May 17, 2020 5:55 pm

Protestors in Andalucía as well:

https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/425999 ... -gobierno/

No mention of 5G masts, though.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun May 17, 2020 6:21 pm

No one is throwing anyone to any wolves. There are many fit people over 70 and even 80 who want to move on with their lives. Even my ancient parents are horrified that they should be isolating for ever. At their age they have said what does it matter if they spend some fabulous few months enjoying themselves and then pop off rather than sit at home and still pop off. No one gets out of this alive, Mark.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun May 17, 2020 6:35 pm

Beachcomber wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:55 pm Protestors in Andalucía as well:

https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/425999 ... -gobierno/

No mention of 5G masts, though.
Thats not a protest......that's 100 people with flags walking around for 30 minutes....you see any riot police or public disorder? All i see is an elderly man strolling in a salmon pink shirt and a straw hat maybe he'd lent his tin foil hat to a friend :wink: ....not really that intimidating now is it. All seems calm and orderly nothing more than you see on occasion outside Ayuntamientos.

" The participants have arrived at around 12 noon and have demonstrated for more than half an hour walking from one side to the other of the square in front of the consistory, wearing Spanish flags and practically all wearing masks and trying to keep their distance." :l
:lol:
I So Bella tis you

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun May 17, 2020 6:40 pm

markwilding wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:26 pm
peteroldracer wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:09 am Seeing all the problems with protesters in the UK, why don’t they just put them all in buses and take them into a Covid19 ward? They would not need PPE.
A bit strong but they do seem to have some odd reasons for lifting the lockdown quicker such as the virus only affects those with underlying conditions and people over a certain age as if old people don't matter and should not be factored into the equation.

However, Isn't the a main point to all this to protect the most vulnerable but they seem to be saying that these groups are expendable.
maybe they mean the vulnerable groups should be protected as they are now. But the rest of the population that is,for the huge majority not effected seriously by its effects shouldnt be kept in the same sort of "lockdown" as the at risk groups. Considering everyons been told to get on their bike (norman!) Not sure what that many have to complain about.they want to try a spanish or italian lockdown for 8 weeks!! :wink:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun May 17, 2020 6:55 pm

"Protesta en las calles de Sevilla contra la gestión de Sánchez y el Gobierno"

We will just ignore the headline then, shall we, and pretend it never happened.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun May 17, 2020 7:03 pm

An order will be made this week for mandatory mask wearing in business shops etc and closed public spaces. Not known of it will include the streets and open public spaces. According to el pais.Great. Just when the temps are going up. Might not get corona but add sunstroke to the list instead. It was bad enough in the hairdressers for 45:mins

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 17, 2020 7:11 pm

I wonder if I can get an official exemption from a mask, as my COPD makes walking bad enough without having a piece of cloth half blocking my mouth - a bit like some in the UK are excused car seatbelts for medical reasons?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun May 17, 2020 7:14 pm

Yes, headlines can be very misleading as is evident by the accompanying photograph and the lack of any reports of this "protest" yesterday in Seville in any other of the main news outlets such as El Mundo, El Pais, Sur, La Vanguardia, ABC and Dario Sevilla etc
I So Bella tis you

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 17, 2020 7:19 pm

Although nothing like it was in Franco’s day the Spanish press can be selective about what they choose to print. Just like “it was in the Daily Blob so it must be true” it could be “it is not in the Daily Blob so it can’t have happened”.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun May 17, 2020 7:21 pm

peteroldracer wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:11 pm I wonder if I can get an official exemption from a mask, as my COPD makes walking bad enough without having a piece of cloth half blocking my mouth - a bit like some in the UK are excused car seatbelts for medical reasons?
Fernando simon has also made such points. He wouldnt say which way he stands on it but says theres alot of ppl who would struggle to wear one for long periods of time and in his opinion the best defence is two meters.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun May 17, 2020 7:28 pm

I note that La Vanguardia was on the list that didn't cover the protest in Seville. Or did it?

https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/20200 ... o-ext.html

Pretending it didn't happen won't make it go away.

On the subject of masks, I went to the petrol station today to get some diesel for my tractor and didn't see anyone wearing a mask including the occupants of a Guardia Civil vehicle which turned up whilst I was there.

Perhaps they all think that breathing back in one's own exhaled breath is not a good idea from a health point of view, or maybe they just don't care.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun May 17, 2020 7:48 pm

peteroldracer wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:19 pm Although nothing like it was in Franco’s day the Spanish press can be selective about what they choose to print. Just like “it was in the Daily Blob so it must be true” it could be “it is not in the Daily Blob so it can’t have happened”.
Spot on
I So Bella tis you

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun May 17, 2020 8:28 pm

elusive wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:21 pm
peteroldracer wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:11 pm I wonder if I can get an official exemption from a mask, as my COPD makes walking bad enough without having a piece of cloth half blocking my mouth - a bit like some in the UK are excused car seatbelts for medical reasons?
Fernando simon has also made such points. He wouldnt say which way he stands on it but says theres alot of ppl who would struggle to wear one for long periods of time and in his opinion the best defence is two meters.
Surely the answer is more common sense. Meet the law by wearing the thinnest and therefore least obstructive mask. Avoid long walks wearing a mask (e.g. get dropped off at shop if you have to be out). COPD ? Avoid being anywhere where you might get infected. Would you survive being in ICU? Presumably the science says masks are a good idea in certain situations like shops and public transport or is it just fake news to punish us further.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 17, 2020 9:22 pm

My common sense tells me that me wearing a mask does nothing for me, but if the lawmakers say everyone must wear one that leaves unable to do very much. I am unabled by COPD but a mask makes me disabled.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun May 17, 2020 9:43 pm

The masks what the townhall gives out are the most basic thin ones. Presume the ones you can buy in a chemist are the same. but they are still pretty fleecy and you get very warm breathing into them.They only thinner ones to wear would be a self made one using a thin scarf. Whether that would reach legal requirement i dont know.

Taking ppls freedom away when they are just getting it back is alittle unfair by saying get dropped off or dont go out. Simon mentioned ppl with mental health problems and kids who would struggle wearing them out playing. What about ppl doing sporting exercise.

The advise about the masks has changed alot but the feeling from the drs now is that it wont stop you from catching it but its more for those who may have it before symptoms show and help them not to spread it without realising.

I hope bars and cafes will be handing out straws :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 17, 2020 10:53 pm

markwilding wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:13 pm I can't see the point because the would just take us back 70 or more years. but I would argue against the survival of the fittest.

But if it were to happen, my bet would be that the ones who advocate it the loudest , would be first in line to bleat how unfair the world is when it the time came for them or one of their loved ones to be thrown to the wolves`
Those who want to continue to isolate still can. One of the endless stats we are bombarded with states that 1 in 4 deaths from the virus were also suffering from dementia. Anyone who has seen a relative in various stages would be surprised that young people should lose maybe years of their lives to try to protect them. I would not want to live in a care home with double incontinence, difficulties swallowing, having to be spoon fed etc.

Many young people have already had their lives put on hold. Some graduating this year have had jobs cancelled. These are the people who in future will have to pick up the bill for this debacle of a lockdown which was initially only implemented to prevent hospitals being overwhelmed. Has gone on long enough.