Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby Beachcomber » Mon May 18, 2020 6:47 am

Another one in four deaths from (or should that be with) the virus are said to be in patients that were overweight or obese. I am not sure if this falls into the category of 'underlying health problems'. Probably not because both now seem to be considered to be lifestyle choices rather than a condition that should be rectified. Just look at how the fat brigade tried to demonise Adele for dealing with her weight problem and accused her of 'betraying their cause'.

Add to this the number of deaths that were attributed to coronavirus by doctors who claim they were pressured to do so despite the fact that the virus was not even present and the figures take on a whole different aspect.

And all this for what? We can only speculate but what we do know is that the lives, livelihoods and lifestyles of future generations have been devastated over the past few weeks mostly by people who have considerably less time on this earth in front of them than they have behind them.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon May 18, 2020 10:50 am

Yes, but there were also many more cases of people dying outside hospitals without having taken a test and were not included in the figures especially at first. Many of these deaths were put down to the underlying problem but these problems were manageable before Covid. China is a case in question. How many people really believe the figures were as low as reported by the Chinese government?

There is no misinformation about the fact that the elderly and people with underlying health conditions are those at most risk. this is not a government conspiracy to keep this information from us This has been clear from the start and is not something that only RT is privy to.

You are also being extremely selective about what doctors are saying. If you really want to listen to what doctors are saying, why don't you mention the fact doctor are complaining about lack of PPE equipment and are lamenting that many public service workers have died in both care homes and the hospitals? not to mention their fear of taking the virus home to their loved ones. Another reason to make sure that the curve is flattened so as not to overwhelm hospital to a point they can't cope?

The vast majority of medical workers understand the needs for the measures.
Last edited by markwilding on Mon May 18, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon May 18, 2020 11:06 am

Beachcomber ... ?not sure who you are referring to when you say : 'the lives, livelihoods and lifestyles of future generations have been devastated over the past few weeks mostly by people who have considerably less time on this earth in front of them than they have behind them.'

I would also add that maybe, now they have time on their hands/time to think, those 'future generations' should seriously consider ways to live in this world which dont recreate the same mistakes etc etc

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:13 pm

Agree the lives, livelihoods and futures of the youth and also those with young families have been devastated by this virus. It is horrendous for those who will already be financially destroyed and those who will join them as the months unfold..I for one do not want to see the young, fit and healthy held back any more than needs be.. Enough is enough...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 18, 2020 12:20 pm

If masks are to be compulsory then they should be sure that everyone knows how to handle and wear them properly. The number of times I see people on the TV with them stuck under their chin when they don't have them covering their nose and mouth, or even people with them on over their mouth but with their nose uncovered!

I see people continually adjusting them and fiddling around touching them, they are surely spreading more germs than containing them? It's unusual here to see people in the shops without one on, although the other day in Mercadona I noticed a woman without a mask then saw that she didn't even have gloves on. She was scratching the area between her nose and mouth then handling all the fruit.

If they are to be compulsory then I'm hoping there'll be better and cheaper supplies of them. Our local farmacia didn't have any last week and the ones I have bought a while ago were expensive.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon May 18, 2020 1:02 pm

However, when we talk about generations to come where is the evidence? My parent' and grandparents' generation went to war and in spite of the devastation to lives and the economy, the baby boom generation have had life expectancy and living conditions unseen before due to a move towards a decent heath system and improved working conditions. as well as social responsibility.
Last edited by markwilding on Mon May 18, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon May 18, 2020 1:09 pm

First confirmed case in competa according to the regular updates.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon May 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Mark, is it too difficult to accept that the youth and the younger generation need to get back to getting on with their lives or are you quite happy to continue with the lost opportunities and the financial destruction of not only their lives but the financial destruction of many others..Do you have an alternative besides a vaccine that may never happen?

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon May 18, 2020 1:47 pm

I have no sympathy for anyone, of any generation, who bought into this consumerist, capitalist system/life style ... and got us into the mess all of us are in today ... this is a big wake-up call ... start thinking alternatives NOW

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon May 18, 2020 2:09 pm

Talking about getting back to work. At the Mrs's place they furloughed 12 of the secretaries and office staff......My Mrs and the other partners all worked from home to keep what business there was ticking over.

There were tears and screams from the young-ish ones who said they were being "victimised" and why us.

Roll on last week when the housing market kicked off again and they were asked to return to duty, mostly working from home.

The tears and screams were worse than when they were furloughed. I think people are becoming to like the crisis.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon May 18, 2020 2:14 pm

You have fallen into my clutches, Gavilan. Do not buy anything Made in China not matter how cheap it appears to be. Invest your money in Made in Spain things instead. The whole idea of enriching a rogue hostile state and impoverishing your own and making it dependent on said rogue state has ALWAYS been completely stupid and short-sighted to me.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon May 18, 2020 2:31 pm

the problem with 'dont buy anything from China' is that it seems close to racism to me ... also, not a question of who/where made it but the quality/integrity/treatment of workers etc ... but do think to focus on what can be produced within each own country makes sense ...

DA ?were the kicks and screams cos the housing market had kicked off again (makes me want to vomit!) or cos they had to go back to work (albeit from own home) ?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon May 18, 2020 2:53 pm

Are some of you deviating away from the true intention of this thread into politics?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon May 18, 2020 2:59 pm

markwilding wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:02 pm However, when we talk about generations to come where is the evidence? My parent' and grandparents' generation went to war and in spite of the devastation to lives and the economy, the baby boom generation have had life expectancy and living conditions unseen before due to a move towards a decent heath system and improved working conditions. as well as social responsibility.
Good observation Mark, I have not spent the best part of fifty years working to pay for the feckless attitude some of the younger generation have regarding what many consider to be an entitled lifestyle.

When I was younger (in my 20's and 30's) I often worked very long hours in order to achieve the lifestyle I wanted and at the age of 65 when I retired this attitude paid off.

I am not a professional nor do I have a particularly spectacular academic record. In my childhood we did not have very much in the way of luxuries, my fathers attitude was always " if you can't pay for it with cash then you have neither earned it or can afford it Mortgages not withstanding) !

It's way too easy today to live off the state and buy everything on tick.

The young of today will have to do the same as we "boomers" as some seem to disrespectfully call us will have to work for it, if they want it, that's my rant done with now :-) !

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon May 18, 2020 3:42 pm

The uk is built on debt but unfortunatly thats the only way alot of ppl can survive until the end of month. ppl who work two jobs and dont live off anyone. Yet get to the end of the month with litterally nothing left Sterotypes are way to easy to use when judging others and the situations they are faced with.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon May 18, 2020 3:47 pm

gerryh wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:53 pm Are some of you deviating away from the true intention of this thread into politics?
Cheers
Gerry
Yes, Gerry. But probably because in the end everything comes down to politics.
Whether the government are right or wrong to impose a lockdown and balancing that with our human rights, and whether we should be trusted to make our own decisions and take risks with our own lives.
Decisions on crashing the economy which will make us all the poorer for years.
Everything is politics when it comes to the coronavirus. It could have just been left to rip through the whole population very quickly, but the government would have been criticised and Pedro might have lost his tenuous hold in Madrid when the bodies piled up too quickly in the morgues.

Politics.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon May 18, 2020 4:02 pm

We were discussing this in the very first week of lockdowns. Even then we could see the enormous economic impact that would be greater than the last financial crash. One person said that the tens of thousands saved by a lockdown over not having one , would each Cost millions, possibly billions. So it has turned out. On top of that is the anguish and mental stress many but not all of us have suffered that will scar for years. ( I have a 26 year old relative in ICU ( not Covid 19 yet) and there is so little any of us can do. Cant even visit) .

And yet 99% of leading nations chose to follow this lockdown route. Are they all wrong? There must have been good reason . Surely.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon May 18, 2020 4:07 pm

gerryh wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:53 pm Are some of you deviating away from the true intention of this thread into politics?
Cheers
Gerry
You are quite right Gerry. Thanks for pointing that out.

This thread is about the virus in Spain and specifically in Andalucia. It is not about politics particularly it’s not about UK or any other countries politics.

If anyone wishes to discuss such subjects feel free to start a new thread.

It’s already become one of the longest threads ever and it doesn’t need to be diluted by irrelevant posts.

I don’t have the time or the inclination to keep posting polite requests to keep it on topic. In future any off topic posts will be deleted

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon May 18, 2020 4:10 pm

Meanwhile, more protests across Spain (including Andalucía):

https://sevilla.abc.es/andalucia/cordob ... ticia.html

K&LTupper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby K&LTupper » Mon May 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Just won a bet with myself.....made me giggle