Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:15 pm

"It is a choice everyone is allowed, you need not be affected by the actions of people who you think are not "taking it seriously"."

Agreed, DA but how do I know if the person beside me, who has just coughed, will affect me — or not? As for my brother, he was only advising me not to travel to the UK at the end of June but to wait. I shall be taking his advice.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:20 pm

It is very difficult to know exactly what to believe. My, brother, who lives in London, says the same as you DA but in the press we see cases of people congregating at the beach or beauty spots, not unlike here last Thursday when I saw photos of beaches packed but when I went, it was half empty, even after many were closed until later in June, Maybe the pictures in the paper put people off

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:36 pm

Lavanda, Mark yes it is difficult, and this is all part of mine and Beachy's perceived doubts about things, it is not just not stacking. Misinformation being the culprit for these thoughts I reckon.

A few of the beach/seaside pics you mention have already be called out as fake.......ie one of them was 3 years old, however the media don't care.

The media has had a huge part to play in all of this , and if you read the excellent link Beachcomber posted I believe it even more to be true. Do people on a county lane walk honestly put themselves in danger by passing another human briefly at a range of 1 metre sin mask? I doubt it very much. Yet some are paranoid about it.

We have become or at least are becoming Nations of curtain twitchers and tut tutters if we think people are breaking the smallest rule, and quite often the person being vilified has done no wrong.

No conspiricy theories in my mind, just poor management, over reaction and bad calls throughout, leaving most people who sit down and think about it baffled.

It is a shame Lavanda you will not be going to see your brother as planned, but as I said it's your choice, and that's the way it should be. Better than being banned from seeing him.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:18 pm

elusive wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:52 pm
Wicksey wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:49 am As we enter Phase 2 today I was wondering how many more places may be open now that some seating indoors will be allowed as well as on the terrace. Certainly last week most places remained shut as I guess it wasn't worth them opening with just a few seats outside. Walking along Torrox Costa and through Nerja, it was pretty dead.

The place I ate on Friday has a huge outside area and was packed with people, and others queuing to eat there as we left. It's funny though that the tables were well set apart but the chairs around the tables were just as close. I sat elbow to elbow with my friend and other groups were sitting close together too on their tables. I plan to explore the shopping centres this week to see if everything has opened up, like Dunnes and C&A (not that I need any new clothes as I've been bumming around at home most of the last two and half months :lol: ).

El engenio website shows whats open dunnes is and the other with doors that open to the outside.

Re fines i know of someone fined in torrox travelling from frigiliana to competa to work. All the correct documention but torn up by an officer in torrox and a fine handed out.
Thanks elusive. I understand that all internal shops in centres can open now so I'll see how I get on. Last week we were shocked by the state of the place. We thought the work may be nearly finished but it doesn't look anywhere near. The new floor tiles are damaged and badly laid.

When was that fine? We've been free to travel within the province since phase 1.

Torrox Costa beach was almost empty this afternoon. A few more eateries open but still very quiet.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:21 pm

Good post DA and I agree with it all. However, my brother and I were discussing me going to see our parents, 97 and 93 years old. Obviously, I wanted to consult him and get his input as they are OUR parents and we both want to see them but also keep them safe. It's a joint decision and I respect his advice.

PS I watched Beachcomber's link. Seems entirely sensible to me.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:31 pm

wicksey all shops within El Ingenio that I saw were open, even the ones with no direct access to the outside...such as Zara and H & M. Was mainly up the top end by Dunnes so couldn't confirm if C & A was open. Nothing upstairs to sit and get a drink whatsoever.
Dunnes you had to queue at the door closer to Wortens and were let in as and when the max 90 people limit permitted. Big queues to pay as floor markers every 2 meters to stand on from halfway down one Isle right up to cash till. Everyone in masks as you'd expect and you had to sanitise your hands in front of the guard as you were let in. New toilets open on the ground level by Zara.
I So Bella tis you

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:00 pm

A general question , are toilets now open and are they cleaned after each use or just now and then like the Mercadona ones in the past?

Just interested from a practical point of view . I still wonder how the airlines and airports are going to manage the logisitics. Toilets are a necessary service but a pinch point for possible infection.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:00 pm

Lavanda wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:21 pm Good post DA and I agree with it all. However, my brother and I were discussing me going to see our parents, 97 and 93 years old. Obviously, I wanted to consult him and get his input as they are OUR parents and we both want to see them but also keep them safe. It's a joint decision and I respect his advice.

PS I watched Beachcomber's link. Seems entirely sensible to me.
Thanks Lavanda, appreciate that and glad also you rated Beachy's link.

Well what a coincidence talking of parents, I've not had any meaningful contact with my mum since February, she is 91 and self isolating obviously. Yes we've had lots of phone chats and I've done 3 fleeting drop offs of essentials for her when shops were empty but nothing else.
So she phoned yesterday and has asked us to go around for a couple of hours in her garden tomorrow now things have eased....she lives about 50 miles from us.

Now I like you worried about this after we said yes, I know there is no chance of us spreading anything to her, especially as I know how the seating will be laid out in her garden. However at 91 I know she'll not last forever and if she left us within a fortnight of us visiting I know we'd be thinking "was it us?". I'm also concerned with stories from ordinary people re. loved ones death certificates being signed off as Covid related when they believe it not to be the case. It would haunt us forever if that happened. You've made the right choice.

I'm dreading going anyway as she'll just spend the hour telling OH what an awful child I was and "just like his father" :mrgreen:
Last edited by Devils Advocate on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:10 pm

olive wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:00 pm A general question , are toilets now open and are they cleaned after each use or just now and then like the Mercadona ones in the past?

Just interested from a practical point of view . I still wonder how the airlines and airports are going to manage the logisitics. Toilets are a necessary service but a pinch point for possible infection.
The ones I mentioned in my post above in El Ingenio ground floor nr Zara are brand spanking new and spotless, yes there was a cleaner evident with all sorts of sprays and a guard ensuring both male an female sections did not exceed a few people at any given time. In the gents each basin had auto hand sanitisers and hot dryers attached.
I So Bella tis you

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:11 pm

That's rather funny, DA, but I do empathise with how you feel about the whole visiting thing.

On another matter, I just read an article in El País in English and this quote relating to foreign tourists coming to Spain, stood out:

"“In Spain you will find physical distance but emotional closeness.”"

I think that is lovely. The whole article is here:

https://english.elpais.com/politics/202 ... gions.html

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:19 pm

Personally although I'm not particulary 'frightened' of catching something , I wouldn't like to think that I was responsible for spreading it to others.
So commonsense rules methinks, just lets see what happens in a few weeks , maybe ?

I've actually enjoyed being in 'lockdown' I've got loads done in the house,saved money and lost weight..
Regards,
Gordon

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:28 pm

Me too, Gordon. The garden looks fantastic. I've actually cleaned the cooker, as well. Last time I did that I ended up in hospital on a respirator as I inhaled the fumes of the cleaning agent and nearly killed myself. Poxy cleaning. Silly idea, really.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:42 pm

Yes, the lock down was great for that, gardens better than they've been for years and the "Junk room" we've never touched in 25 years of living here is now a lovely extra room we'd forgotten we had.

Only glitch was I made a Carlsberg fueled bid on a job lot of vintage steam Mamod and Wilseco engines on Ebay.....on the 3rd day of Lockdown it seems.

I was shocked and bemused a few days later when an email landed saying "Congratulations", the explaining I had to do to OH!!

Anyway, she seems to have got used to the smell of live steam, meths, compound steam oil and burning tablecloths as the weeks have gone by returning them to former glories.

She says she's hoping it's not the new normal :mrgreen:

Yep, lockdown has been different to say the least.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:58 pm

Thanks for the update on engenio paul. Cars finally in for its ITV tom so it will have to wait one more day.

wicksey. Fine was during phase 0 i presime but when ppl could work

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:14 pm

Thanks for the info Paul.

Re toilets, the Mercadona ones have been open throughout lockdown as far as I'm aware. I've certainly used them a few times when out as Lidl and Aldi had theirs shut. The restaurant I ate at last week had a one way queuing system for the loos which worked well. They weren't cleaned between customers but there were hand cleanser gels to use before and after as well as the usual soap and water.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:12 pm

The very good news, No new deaths recorded in the last 24 hours

However, the bad news, between March 1 and May 12, there were 43,295 more deaths than what would normally occur in Spain, based on the figures for previous years which is 52% higher than would be normally expected for the same period.

Make of that what you will but most people can only come to one obvious conclusion.

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news ... 43000.html

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:53 pm

Yes, lockdown is over, about time. As a rule of thumb everything is worse in the YUK especially if looking for an excuse not to see “beloved” relatives...keep safe. We are all going to hell on a handcart. Any cure for UK derangement syndrome :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:21 pm

If anything positive has come out of this it is the change in my Grandson. He moved in with us a week or so before the lock down (parents abroad) fed up of sitting in lectures surrounded by Chinese in masks. From lounging in bed until midday he is now up around 8.30. We set up a share account when stocks crashed and bought cheap, called it the Covid fund. He has made a few thousand and probably taught him a lot more than his costly Uni course. Good at doing our shopping too after OH had an operation. Totally matured.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:53 pm

Katy..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ....priceless :mrgreen: