Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby olive » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:54 am

There was a piece on BBC news about UK dentists. Might be the same in Spain.

There is a significant cost in PPE and extra protection. They didn't say but no doubt we, the customer, will pay. The cost of some of the PPE had gone up 6000%. Maybe that is why some dentists in UK are not opening just yet.

What was more concerning was that to observe the government guidelines, they would see only a third of the number of patients that they used to be able to process per day. With pent up demand that surely will be a problem. Some of the measures were no waiting room - you do that outside, no use of the toilet.

Finally some procedures like descaling (other than manual) would not be cost effective to carry out........

I think that will be a theme reflected through other apparently simple things in life.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:17 am

They have had 3 months to work it out. What about all the fear of Aids and Hepatitis etc. In the past. Just holding out for more gov money.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:29 pm

elusive wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:24 am
We always used to wear wrap around glasses at the dentist in the uk. Dont get given anything here
I should change your dentist. I am always given wrap around glasses at my dentist here when I go for my annual check-up and cleaning (Antonio Martínez in Vélez-Málaga). They are always very careful - last year he gave me a prescription for antibiotics because I had to take a prophylactic dose just before my appointment as I'd had cardiac surgery the year before.

I think his surgery has now reopened, I must give them a ring as my check-up should have been in April.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:00 pm

Yes poor Dentists, they really struggle financially don't they, especially in the UK ? Why they might not be able to get a new top of the range Merc every couple of years :think:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:47 pm

Free at Last wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:29 pm
elusive wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:24 am
We always used to wear wrap around glasses at the dentist in the uk. Dont get given anything here
I should change your dentist. I am always given wrap around glasses at my dentist here when I go for my annual check-up and cleaning (Antonio Martínez in Vélez-Málaga). They are always very careful - last year he gave me a prescription for antibiotics because I had to take a prophylactic dose just before my appointment as I'd had cardiac surgery the year before.

I think his surgery has now reopened, I must give them a ring as my check-up should have been in April.
We have used him for years. Its not an issue i just shut my eyes!

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:42 pm

So dentists back............why are hairdressers in England still not allowed back to work? Pubs still not open, England will lose a lot of pubs if they don’t get up and running soon.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:25 pm

P!@$ up in a brewery comes to mind!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:14 pm

I think we will see a lot of changes. Only the best cafes/bars will survive eg those with big outdoor space. Lots of free office space as companies see the savings in working from home. Maybe the offices freed up will become affordable housing? Lots more electric bikes and the marvellous but dreaded ele tric scooters. Great opportunity for software hacks/ gizmos to enable speed limited electric bikes etc to go faster!

It will be interesting to see what ppe Etc Spanish dentist implement and what effect it all has on treatment costs and waiting lists. The point with the English dental practices is many havent reopened . What ppe and safety are hairdressers being asked to carry out? Will they have temperature checking of customers, no waiting area? Or are they classed as lower risk?

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:13 am

olive wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:14 pm I th What ppe and safety are hairdressers being asked to carry out? Will they have temperature checking of customers, no waiting area? Or are they classed as lower risk?
As far as Spanish hairdressers are concerned, these are the precautions which had to be put in place before they could reopen. No waiting area (my hairdresser kept the door locked and clients were only allowed to enter when their stylist was ready for them), only one client per stylist at any one time, all staff and clients must wear masks and gloves, only disposable towels and gowns to be used, workstations and chairs to be disinfected between each client, no magazines allowed and no drinks to be served to clients.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:46 am

Yes, Free at Last. Our hairdresser opened up two weeks ago and does all that. It seems to work and everyone is happy.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:24 am

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel ... da3092121d

Well, that clears all that up nicely, doesn't it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:43 am

What is safe and what is not?

Apparently ......

It's too dangerous to allow schools to reopen to educate kids.....

It's too dangerous to allow public transport to open......

It's too dangerous to allow shops to reopen....

It's too dangerous for dentists to reopen unless the government supply them with tons of PPE........

BUT

It's completely safe to meet in thousands to protest/damage/wreck things........

It's completely safe to sit on a beach with thousands of others.........

It's completely safe to sit crammed in an aircraft with loads of others.....

It's completely safe to sit in a cinema with loads of others.......

It's completely safe to allow anyone from anywhere in the world to come here totally freely .......

It's completely safe to re-open hotels to anyone ........

It's completely safe to re-open pubs and restaurants so you can sit with loads of others.......

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:48 am

Free at Last wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:13 am
olive wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:14 pm I th What ppe and safety are hairdressers being asked to carry out? Will they have temperature checking of customers, no waiting area? Or are they classed as lower risk?
As far as Spanish hairdressers are concerned, these are the precautions which had to be put in place before they could reopen. No waiting area (my hairdresser kept the door locked and clients were only allowed to enter when their stylist was ready for them), only one client per stylist at any one time, all staff and clients must wear masks and gloves, only disposable towels and gowns to be used, workstations and chairs to be disinfected between each client, no magazines allowed and no drinks to be served to clients.
My hairdresser opened on 4 May. When I went the other week she said that she could now allow one other person in to wait, keeping their social distance. She did everything you describe above, but she hasn't raised her prices to cover the extra costs and work. Still only 10€ for a wash and cut :thumbup: I'm still surprised that we opened our hairdressers comparatively quickly after such a strict lockdown.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:00 am

Very true Olive.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:16 am

That's about it, Olive, which is why I think the whole thing is just crazy.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:48 am

Yes, Olive, well summed up.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:55 am

I'm totally confused. Which country are were talking about the UK Or Spain?

In Spain schools have reopened for older children to complete exams which are going ahead, However, by the end of May most 16-18 year olds would have have finished anyway (The older year start cramming for their A level type exams at home and go back for 3 days and this is going ahead in schools) and the younger ones finish this week, the same as every year. The last week is to resit exams which students failed. Attendance at my academy always drops to almost nothing by the third week in June, I have 3 students, who have gone to DO an exam today in Bilbao
Public transport has continued normally.
Many shops reopened around 4 weeks ago and the bigger ones 2 weeks ago so now all are open.
As already mentioned Dentists are open
Social distancing must be maintained in bars, Bars are busy but the few people are spread out inside and most(including me) seem to prefer to be outside and the table are spaced out
Cinemas are open but not at full capacity.
People coming from abroad have to quarantine.
I did see on the local newspaper that the beaches were busy but the one day I went there was plenty of space to maintain 10 metres apart with no problem.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:06 am

I'm totally confused. Which area are were talking about, Bilbao or Andalucia?

Or even Extremadura. The only things we have up and running here are coffee shops and bars with open air terraces. Food shops and supermarkets are open and always have been. Hardware shops opened last week. Schools are all shut and we are still not able to travel to the next Extremeño province. There may be Phase 1, 2 or 3 in operation throughout Spain but it is not the same everywhere — yet.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:15 am

Wicksey wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:48 am
My hairdresser opened on 4 May. When I went the other week she said that she could now allow one other person in to wait, keeping their social distance. She did everything you describe above, but she hasn't raised her prices to cover the extra costs and work. Still only 10€ for a wash and cut :thumbup: I'm still surprised that we opened our hairdressers comparatively quickly after such a strict lockdown.
No, my hairdresser hasn't raised the prices either. It was the same a few years ago when the rate of IVA was increased from 10% to 21%, the hairdressers didn't pass on the increased cost to customers.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:32 am

Lavanda wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:06 am I'm totally confused. Which area are were talking about, Bilbao or Andalucia?

That is not what I wrote

It doesn't matter where I'm talking about in Spain,. In phase 1 any shops less than 400 square metres were allowed and in Phase 2 all shops can open
Any differences are made at local level.

Andalucia is in phase 3 as is Extremadura

I have read that Extremadura. has different restrictions regarding travel but this is due to a decision made by your own regional government. This is due to end next week.

A quick check also confirms that Selectividad exams are going ahead in Extremadura between the 30th June to 2nd July. School finishes from early to mid May for these students anyway to give them time to prepare

The younger ones did not return but they would have more or less finished anyway by now.

So Are the bars where you live packed with no social distancing within different groups?
Did public transport close?
Are the cinemas not complying with capacity restrictions or are they full?
The damage and demonstrations are definitely a refence to the UK, although I know that there was a peaceful one in Madrid at the weekend
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 11 times in total.