Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:21 pm

katy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:54 am
Free at Last wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:15 am
Wicksey wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:48 am
My hairdresser opened on 4 May. When I went the other week she said that she could now allow one other person in to wait, keeping their social distance. She did everything you describe above, but she hasn't raised her prices to cover the extra costs and work. Still only 10€ for a wash and cut :thumbup: I'm still surprised that we opened our hairdressers comparatively quickly after such a strict lockdown.
No, my hairdresser hasn't raised the prices either. It was the same a few years ago when the rate of IVA was increased from 10% to 21%, the hairdressers didn't pass on the increased cost to customers.
Poverty wages when they have to pay for rent, equipment etc
She's the owner of the business with her husband. She could charge more if she wished, I expected her prices to have gone up but she's chosen not to for now.

Nerja was still very quiet today. Hardly anything open much. I expect the weekends will be busier with travel between provinces now allowed.

We had a light lunch out today. My OH is convinced the owner grabbed a handful of salad out of the bowl to put on our plates :? He wore gloves but he had handled everything .... money (as they don't take cards), the cloth that was constantly used to wipe the counter tops etc. I could not believe he handled the salad without tongs but my OH is sure of what he saw. We later watched him use the till, handle money, pick up a note that had fallen on the floor then handle a slice of pie and put it into a bag for a customer. Not good practice, even without Covid :(

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:34 pm

It's only a "maybe" Paul. I've been to Vietnam and there are millions of people everywhere and I would imagine that many people die of all sorts of things all the time. Maybe no one is organised enough, willing enough or concerned enough to start counting individual deaths attributing them to Covid-19 or some other cause. The other three countries you mentioned are all in Africa and maybe they are a bit disorganised in their counting as well. It's not a given that every country in the world is as obsessed as we are in Spain with Covid-19.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Yes I get where you're coming from that Africa maybe aren't counting but I would have thought something would have leaked to the press to support this if say Ethiopia had huge excess deaths or any other African country for that matter.
Your last sentence is most odd, its a global pandemic and as such I imagine virtually every country is taking this as seriously as Spain has. I don't think Spain is any more obsessed with Covid-19 than any other nation from what I can see.
I So Bella tis you

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:11 pm

"Your last sentence is most odd, its a global pandemic and as such I imagine virtually every country is taking this as seriously as Spain has. I don't think Spain is any more obsessed with Covid-19 than any other nation from what I can see."

I agree other that in some countries they have other epidemics, wars, hunger, political instability and any number of distractions.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:17 pm

I lived just over three years in Kinshasa, Congo. Health services are dire, almost non-existent, even the rich fly to other African countries. A 26 year old who dies from diabetes is taken with a shrug of the shoulders as there is no treatment. There is a fear of "hospitals" as most never come out alive so they will do anything not to be admitted. Some other African countries are similar. Have been to kenya a lot visiting relatives and was sent a video recently of young people in quarantine escaping from an improvised hostel. Also the population tends to be very young so may not have had bad symptoms. No transparency in recording stats either. I think it is one of those issues we shall never know. Sadly for many health treatment is considered evil.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:22 pm

Intresting question. If as you say there has been lots of flights and movement into some countries then i guess the lack of movment isnt one? Could be lots of different reasons as said above. lack of counting,lack of healthcare system,lack of reporting by the west?You could even throw genetics in there aswell

Intresting article on the bbc about the new study to find if there was a paitent zero in the uk. Like the genetic study they did here. They found there wasnt one. There were over 1,300 different codes and showed the most came from spain in march,italy and france

Which cafe was that wicksey? Or maybe i shouldnt ask.
Last edited by elusive on Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:25 pm

Lavanda wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:11 pm "Your last sentence is most odd, its a global pandemic and as such I imagine virtually every country is taking this as seriously as Spain has. I don't think Spain is any more obsessed with Covid-19 than any other nation from what I can see."

I agree other that in some countries they have other epidemics, wars, hunger, political instability and any number of distractions.
Yes of course you're absolutely correct in all you say....I'll leave it there
I So Bella tis you

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:26 pm

elusive wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:22 pm
I can't pm you as you seem to have disabled the option? It's somewhere we've eaten quite a few times as they do nice home made cakes and quiches. It's just today we were sitting next to the counter and could see behind the till area. I guess in today's climate of having to wear masks, use handwash entering shops etc we just were observing the staff more closely. I was surprised they only took cash as most shops say they prefer contactless cards.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:02 pm

I had to buy an 10C extra bag in a supermarket after paying for all my shopping and they let me use my phones to pay for it. It's the best way because it's not necessary to touch any buttons.

Wicksey wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:26 pm

I guess in today's climate of having to wear masks, use handwash entering shops etc we just were observing the staff more closely. I was surprised they only took cash as most shops say they prefer contactless cards.

You have a good point and I wondered how often the cleaning cloth gets changed. I asked the waiter to skirt some cleaning liquid on my hands as I left a bar on Sunday but he told me it was too powerful for hands and directed me to the normal stuff at the entrance to the bar.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:22 pm

Re vietnam. Just listening to a dr on the news and said country got mentioned along with others in the area that had excellent track and trace systems which kept numbers low. So theres an answer for that country

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:39 pm

elusive wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:22 pm Re vietnam. Just listening to a dr on the news and said country got mentioned along with others in the area that had excellent track and trace systems which kept numbers low. So theres an answer for that country
Thanks Elusive, thats a more sensible summation as nearby Thailand is also very low and I struggle to believe that they aren't organised and collecting data on Covid-19 deaths
I So Bella tis you

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:47 pm

Agreed. That's pretty impressive for Vietnam. Most people do live in the big cities with their SmartPhones but there is a huge rural population in the countryside. I struggle to work out how they would be tracked and traced BUT maybe they do it without the phones in some way. Good for them.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:12 pm

Wicksey wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:26 pm
elusive wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:22 pm
I can't pm you as you seem to have disabled the option? It's somewhere we've eaten quite a few times as they do nice home made cakes and quiches. It's just today we were sitting next to the counter and could see behind the till area. I guess in today's climate of having to wear masks, use handwash entering shops etc we just were observing the staff more closely. I was surprised they only took cash as most shops say they prefer contactless cards.
Feel free to name and shame directly on the forum Wicksey. We all need that info at the moment to avoid those places that are not taking it seriously and conversely, we need recommendations for those that are.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:46 pm

Lavanda wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:47 pm Agreed. That's pretty impressive for Vietnam. Most people do live in the big cities with their SmartPhones but there is a huge rural population in the countryside. I struggle to work out how they would be tracked and traced BUT maybe they do it without the phones in some way. Good for them.
Track and trace doesn't only rely on smart phones. It has many elements. In the UK there is a track and trace system but no app at present. Testing is important.. if someone tests positive, they are asked many question where they have been etc and who they a have been in contact with etc etc etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... t-it-right

However, there is an there is an app in Vietnam
More here on how they used track and trace
https://vietnaminsider.vn/insiders-view ... ble-enemy/.
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:01 am

Iberia Express have just cancelled my neighbours flight to the UK for the 30th July, 4th August. She spoke to them and they are not happy with UK virus control. Although flights across Europe are being resumed at the beginning of July the UK as destination is not happening until 19th August — and maybe not even then. I know that Ryan Air and Easy Jet are flying and Easy jet keeps sending me mails but I do not know if they really ARE going to be flying. The way things are going it would be easier visiting my parents if they lived in Vietnam (see above conversation).

The motorhome option is still on the table.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:31 am

And demand is surging!

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:14 am

Thank you Mark, very interesting article, fair play to Vietnam. Glad that they were really on the ball and not just ignoring the situation, hope its a similar situation for the other countries I mentioned in my original post.
I So Bella tis you

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:38 pm

Mercadona is selling a 70% alcohol aerosol spray for cloths, shoes, tins etc 400ml cannister €1.80
I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:58 pm

Football is back tonight.
A big Andalusian/ Seville derby at 10pm
Sevilla v Betis

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:21 pm

Lavanda wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:01 am Iberia Express have just cancelled my neighbours flight to the UK for the 30th July, 4th August. She spoke to them and they are not happy with UK virus control. Although flights across Europe are being resumed at the beginning of July the UK as destination is not happening until 19th August — and maybe not even then. I know that Ryan Air and Easy Jet are flying and Easy jet keeps sending me mails but I do not know if they really ARE going to be flying. The way things are going it would be easier visiting my parents if they lived in Vietnam (see above conversation).

The motorhome option is still on the table.
It is all very strange, while Iberia Express are not flying to the Uk or from the Uk to Spain during July.. Iberia who is the parent company of Iberia Express have tickets on sale both ways but they could end up being tickets which eventually get cancelled, so annoying if they are taking peoples money knowing full well they have no intention of flying.