Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:39 am

Exactly, Pamela. My friend booked and paid for the tickets and a few days later Iberia Express cancelled.

My sister and bro-in-law are in Murcia. They spend October to March in their house and go back to the UK the rest of the year. Britanny Ferries, Santander to Portsmouth, have cancelled their trip FIVE times since the end of March, always booking another date but always cancelling just before the sailing. At the moment, maybe, they are set to go on 8th July but I think they are planning on driving through France instead.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:55 am

I changed my BA tickets for April to London in late July. Last week the fight was cancelled but I was offered the option to change to another flight which I did.
That flight this week has had a slight time alteration but now I'm getting emails from both BA and Iberia regarding the changes so it looks like I'm flying with Iberia to London.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:20 am

I'm getting a lot of ads from Easyjet about their sales, but all I want at the moment is our refunds for the cancelled flights in May and June (plus Ryanair as well). I should think a lot of people are reluctant to book again when they're still awaiting their refunds. Our German neighbours are coming out on 2 July but I'm not sure who they're flying with. It will be interesting to see if they actually get here as planned.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:30 am

Here is some info on when things change. Spain lifts its 14 day quarantine at the end of the month

https://www.thelocal.es/20200609/which- ... -from-july

The confusion regarding flights to England is the 14 day quarantine period. Of course people won't book short stays to the UK if they can't go anywhere.
I haven't booked a hotel yet because I'm waiting to see if the regulations change but I am checking the prices regularly. I've never seen the prices so low for central London.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:38 am

Mark, that link won't work as it says I've reached the free article limit. I did just see that Lufthansa are resuming flights before the page disappeared. I'm not sure anyone knows how flights will go until they start. I read a few weeks back of a German flight being turned back from Sardinia as the airport was still closed and there were only 2 people on board! https://www.businessinsider.com/eurowin ... 020-5?IR=T

Also read today about the latest hair-brained idea from the UK government that people shouldn't be allowed to take hand luggage and that it should all go into the hold (which would affect us here as well). I agree with O'Leary that this is ridiculous as a bag in the hold gets handled by many more people than if you just take it on board yourself. Also, there is the increased amount of people queuing to check in bags and the scrum around the dreaded carousel. It would be better to say no hold luggage :?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:21 am

Wicksey your posts has reinforced my view that it would be madness to fly right now. Hold or cabin baggage there is always a scrum, will be no distancing when passengers start rummaging in the lockers or at the conveyor belt.

As for booking a hotel in UK there has been no decision as to when they will open

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:26 am

Wicksey wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:38 am Mark, that link won't work as it says I've reached the free article limit. I did just see that Lufthansa are resuming flights before the page disappeared. I'm not sure anyone knows how flights will go until they start. I read a few weeks back of a German flight being turned back from Sardinia as the airport was still closed and there were only 2 people on board! https://www.businessinsider.com/eurowin ... 020-5?IR=T

Also read today about the latest hair-brained idea from the UK government that people shouldn't be allowed to take hand luggage and that it should all go into the hold (which would affect us here as well). I agree with O'Leary that this is ridiculous as a bag in the hold gets handled by many more people than if you just take it on board yourself. Also, there is the increased amount of people queuing to check in bags and the scrum around the dreaded carousel. It would be better to say no hold luggage :?
is that hair brained? In an ideal world there would be no air travel, however to get the economy going and some degree of normality there has to be air travel. You have to make changes. Those unsightly scenes where people are trying to cram their bags into the overhead ten seats further away are firmly etched in my mind. All luggage in the hold and kept to a minimum in the early days seems quite sensible to me.( Anyone remember when OLeary suggested no bags. The money you saved on bags, handling could be spent on buying disposable clothing at your destination!) Hold luggage could be disinfectant sprayed on putting on to the carousel. Baggage handlers could wear gloves. The unseemly scrums at the carousel will need to be managed too with social distancing. To get flights going again there will have to be some changes. What are other countries airlines doing?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:45 am

markwilding wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:58 pm Football is back tonight.
A big Andalusian/ Seville derby at 10pm
Sevilla v Betis
I watched the game last night, very weird to watch a top class game without spectators !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:56 am

olive wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:26 am
Wicksey wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:38 am Mark, that link won't work as it says I've reached the free article limit. I did just see that Lufthansa are resuming flights before the page disappeared. I'm not sure anyone knows how flights will go until they start. I read a few weeks back of a German flight being turned back from Sardinia as the airport was still closed and there were only 2 people on board! https://www.businessinsider.com/eurowin ... 020-5?IR=T

is that hair brained? In an ideal world there would be no air travel, however to get the economy going and some degree of normality there has to be air travel. You have to make changes. Those unsightly scenes where people are trying to cram their bags into the overhead ten seats further away are firmly etched in my mind. All luggage in the hold and kept to a minimum in the early days seems quite sensible to me.( Anyone remember when OLeary suggested no bags. The money you saved on bags, handling could be spent on buying disposable clothing at your destination!) Hold luggage could be disinfectant sprayed on putting on to the carousel. Baggage handlers could wear gloves. The unseemly scrums at the carousel will need to be managed too with social distancing. To get flights going again there will have to be some changes. What are other countries airlines doing?
I have long advocated that hand/cabin luggage should be restricted to nothing bigger than a hand bag.
For years now since the introduction of more costly checked luggage people have been abusing the hand luggage rules in order to get round the charges.
Last year at Malaga airport witnessed a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens with 11 items oh hand luggage checking in and they got away with it, they took up almost 2 full overhead lockers !

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:13 pm

Manchesteral wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:45 am

I watched the game last night, very weird to watch a top class game without spectators !
Did you not see the virtual crowd or hear virtual cheering?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:18 pm

Tried watching German league but unwatchable due to zero atmosphere in grounds.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:24 pm

markwilding wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:13 pm
Manchesteral wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:45 am

Did you not see the virtual crowd or hear virtual cheering?
Yes, but it's not the same ! Good result though !

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:41 pm

I've heard the Spanish cup final is being held back until people can go to a match.

Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad are in the final so it was to be a bit special for the region.

I bought tickets for Euro 2020 and those are being carried over to next year.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:34 pm

Manchesteral wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:56 am
olive wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:26 am

I have long advocated that hand/cabin luggage should be restricted to nothing bigger than a hand bag.
For years now since the introduction of more costly checked luggage people have been abusing the hand luggage rules in order to get round the charges.
Last year at Malaga airport witnessed a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens with 11 items oh hand luggage checking in and they got away with it, they took up almost 2 full overhead lockers !
Personally we fly fairly frequently between us, about 6 times a year. I've needed to take hold luggage only once in the past few years and we really do not need hold luggage as our trips are generally a week or less and we travel light. Our cabin bags are within the size limits and it does annoy us when people get away with taking more than they should on board but then it's up to the airlines to police the system. I would rather not take a hold bag unless there was absolutely no choice. It is the UK government that mooted this idea, and it seems that airlines were not consulted.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:52 pm

Same here, One idea we had was to go anyway and risk the fine. However, It remains to be seen if the pressure being put on the government will force them to abandon it. It is definitely possible to book a hotel for late July in London and when i go on booking sites as far as I can make out some hotels are open now at special rates for key workers.

Galicia are looking at being the first region to allow free movement throughout Spain from Monday. However, an agreement to allow free movement between the Basque Country Cantabria and Asturias has been put on hold due to a spike here in Bilbao and vitoria. Local news is reporting 32 new cases and 3 deaths. at a hospital in Bilbao and another 8 cases in vitoria

This will be a good tester to see if the spike can be contained

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:11 pm

Cake and eat it springs to mind.

In this case the uk has a policy to reduce infections. Folk have been quick enough to criticise lack of uk actions. Why risk a fine ? Just wait or go somewhere else.

What are other airlines proposing in other countries regarding carry on luggage? The airlines themselves will be against it as they have to pay for baggage handling whereas they dont pay the customer to carry on luggage.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:12 pm

Surely Inter-regional travel throughout Spain can only be agreed nationally?

If another region has closed its borders how can people from another region get in?

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:35 pm

El Cid wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:12 pm Surely Inter-regional travel throughout Spain can only be agreed nationally?

If another region has closed its borders how can people from another region get in?

Sid
During the final agreement for the emergency powers, powers were devolved back to the autonomous regions so they can make the decisions but as far as I know only if they are in phase 3

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news ... hange.html
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:41 pm

Yes, but they can let people leave the region but they can’t control where they are allowed to go. When we get into the New Normality all regions will be open but not before.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:43 pm

The other point you make is a question I asked myself so it will be interesting to see how it works.

The agreement between the Basque Country Cantabria and Asturias is easier to understand, even though it's doubtful it will go ahead now.