Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:20 pm

I have lost count at the number of times i have read that face masks do not protect anyone from covid 19...Even in the Uk they said at the very beginning that they were as much use as a chocolate fireguard but i have noticed as time moves on the paranoia is getting worse and it is fast becoming totalitarianisum which may be ok for some but the vast majority of people will only be pushed so much and there will be unrest and protests..All sense of common sense is being lost.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:55 am

We now have three threads on masks.

They must serve some purpose.

In years to come will we have mask competitions, masks to represent your family clan, town, deluxe masks, full face masks, breathable masks, flesh coloured masks, 100 euro masks?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:25 am

Maybe sooner than yrs to come, may have already been thought about. Good point though as it could make a nice little earner, bespoke family masks etc, they probably already promote favourite football club masks.
Can't help but think thieves must be smiling at the thought of mandatory masks! :lol:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:07 am

Have walked past a shop in my town which makes and sells the traditional flamenco dresses, wedding outfits and First Communion get-ups for children. They have a whole range of masks in co-ordinating fabrics in the window, including children's sizes in white or cream for those Comuniones! Quick off the mark there.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:09 am

I'm sure I saw an article int he paper yesterday about someone making a fortune producing masks with company logos on them. For our nightly walk in the campo I won't be wearing a mask I'm afraid, we never see another person on foot.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Free at Last wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:07 am Have walked past a shop in my town which makes and sells the traditional flamenco dresses, wedding outfits and First Communion get-ups for children. They have a whole range of masks in co-ordinating fabrics in the window, including children's sizes in white or cream for those Comuniones! Quick off the mark there.

The communion set up shop in velez has the dummies modeling the latest masks!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:47 am

For peter. N332 says from the 13th in murcia masks must be worn regardless. Looks like the whole country will be at it by the end of the week at this rate

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:03 am

So they fling open the borders for all to take their holidays there with no prior mention of this totally manic ruling, 10's of thousands of people book their hols then the bombshell is dropped on them, I for one would be totally hacked off about it if I'd been daft enough to book, although if the house had not have sold last year we'd have had little choice but to go.

There will be chaos there with people who've not worn a mask yet then are forced to do so at all times on their overdue vacation, and all with the threat of a large fine if they don't,even if they are in the remotest place you could imagine. I'm betting the tourists will become a cash cow this year. I just hope common sense prevails and they adjust these proposals today.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:11 pm

It will certainly kill off the tourisim for the rest of the year. I was looking to go off upto valencia in the near future but if it comes in there i wont bother. You dont mind wearing them in confined spaces in and out but if im walking into my village and theres not a soul around then its just plain ridiculous. And certainly wont be worn.

Mask wearing only works when everyone does it as you are protecting others by wearing one not yourself. Seen enough tourists of all nationalities without one in sight. So you have the mentality of well if you walk past me without one on dont expect me to put mine on.

Then you have the other extreme in the uk.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:19 pm

If you are a "resistor" better make sure you can afford the odd €100 multa!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:39 pm

If im walking into my village without a soul in sight it will be firmly under my chin. Then again they might have drones looking for you :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:56 pm

Devils Advocate wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:03 am So they fling open the borders for all to take their holidays there with no prior mention of this totally manic ruling, 10's of thousands of people book their hols then the bombshell is dropped on them, I for one would be totally hacked off about it if I'd been daft enough to book, although if the house had not have sold last year we'd have had little choice but to go.

There will be chaos there with people who've not worn a mask yet then are forced to do so at all times on their overdue vacation, and all with the threat of a large fine if they don't,even if they are in the remotest place you could imagine. I'm betting the tourists will become a cash cow this year. I just hope common sense prevails and they adjust these proposals today.
Can't see the young who visit Benidorm adhering to wearing masks. The places I visit in UK I would guestimate that 99% don't wear masks except for Doctors visits. I am not sure that there will be many visitors this season. If bookings are up why are flights so cheap? Can imagine all these tourists coming back from holiday looking like Minstrels with the white unsuntanned mouths (apologies to the wokes) :wink:

Many of these countries saying they are open have small print, some rules worse than masks. I would mention one I was going to book but won't dilute the mask discussion.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:12 pm

elusive wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:11 pm It will certainly kill off the tourisim for the rest of the year. I was looking to go off upto valencia in the near future but if it comes in there i wont bother. You dont mind wearing them in confined spaces in and out but if im walking into my village and theres not a soul around then its just plain ridiculous. And certainly wont be worn.

Mask wearing only works when everyone does it as you are protecting others by wearing one not yourself. Seen enough tourists of all nationalities without one in sight. So you have the mentality of well if you walk past me without one on dont expect me to put mine on.

Then you have the other extreme in the uk.
As per my earlier post, a study in California suggested you had a much reduced chance of catching the virus by wearing a mask thus it is actually about protecting yourself. We were talking about the transmission today. If it isas ligth as they say then it might be like pollen present in the wind blown air . That can be as high as 20000 feet or what everheight planes fly at. We have noticed pollen intake on plane flights despite what they say aboutthehepa filters. As ever who knows.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:39 pm

I actually think that wearing a mask will increase the chance of catching the virus for some people..Face touching is something which comes naturally and people tend to forget after it's too late...For those wearing masks in heat and feeling uncomfortable may find themselves forever adjusting and touching the mask while forgeting to hand sanitise first..Children will fiddle even more so.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:44 pm

A lot of people here are starting to worry about holidays around Catalonia which has seen a real spike in positive cases over the last week or so.
2,489 infections, double the amount from the previous week.

There is another problem for the reginal government because local lockdowns have been judged illegal. it would seem that local governments have to use different measures to keep people at home. Only the central government can implement confinement legally.

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news ... surge.html

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:03 pm

I understand that confinement can only be compelled by way of a state of emergency which it is not in the power of regional governments to impose.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:54 pm

I've read all the comments here and on other threads regarding the mandatory use of face masks, I'm wondering how they will deal with the mindless British morons who infect the less salubrious holiday areas and generally disregard the law when they're pi55ed up, they have already created trouble in Magaluf (as per usual).

I was talking to a Doctor friend of mine yesterday who's son is a Captain in the army and he tells me that the army are quietly drawing a number of soldiers from various areas of Spain for "special standby duties) this is unofficial and only word of mouth but I wouldn't be surprised if they really clamp down on the pond life who generally infect these areas, I certainly hope so !

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:20 pm

Brit in mallorca already arrested for going around restaurant tables coughing over everyone and mentioning the C word

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:30 am

Slightly new direction but still Covid-19: In the last week there has been a marked rise in comings and goings among the British Spanish residents in the area where I live. A couple who were stranded in the UK since March flew back into Madrid last week on a RyanAir flight that was totally packed — not one free seat. Some friends are going to the UK next weekend and are flying. Another friend I met today is off to Germany at the end of the coming week and I am going to the UK on Monday. What is driving this increase in travel? New cases of Covid-19 are, allegedly, on the rise almost everywhere. Do people not care anymore? Is it that people feel they need to get on with their lives no matter what? Do people feel confident that they will not get the virus (fuelled by no one knowing anyone who has had the virus, maybe?) Has fear of the virus 'peaked' and do people wonder what on earth all the fuss was about? Any ideas?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:36 am

Many of the Irish and British will have there little trips curtailed very soon, many of them have no legitimate reason for travel other than to organise drug deals, this will stop soon :-9 !!