Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby elusive » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:26 pm

Totana above mazzaron has gone back to stage one. Nightclubs amongst others causing the problems again.why they are allowed to open is beyond me. As someone who worked in that atmosphere for 15 plus years they are a total germ fest! A breeding ground at the best of times.

I was at the dentist this morning. No price changes. But while chatting he said is supplier of gloves that he wears have put the price up from €5 a box to 15!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:47 am

Just been for a walk and noticed some hedgerows are now being used as mask dispensers. What a clever idea.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:13 pm

I read that Spain could be taken off the safe list. Nice when they have been encouraging people to book holidays. There was a family in the news who had booked a holiday with TUI to Spain. Due to travel in a couple of weeks she found out from another source that their hotel was closed and there was no intention to open it. Despite this the hotel was still available to book on TUI website! Spent hours trying to sort it with the company and no sucess until she contacted the press and they offered the family another hotel.

Think I have fallen too. After seeing head of Barbados tourism on TV. stating Barbados is open and not restrictions etc I booked for November on BA sale. A few days later I found through google that arrivals have to have been tested within 72 hours of landing or if not tested on the Island and stay in quarantine until result which could take 48 hours! No warning of this on BA website although I can cancel or change at anytime. easy to get tested before leaving the UK but not certain of result in time with a 72 hour deadline.

Seems these companies can get away with anything now using Covid as an excuse, should be a case for the trades descriptions Act.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:48 pm

COVID is used all the time now as an excuse Katy. Everything I try to do: the opening hours are reduced, there's only one member of staff to do everything, phones aren't answered, emails not answered! For the moment we are not booking anything, but will wait until the last minute. Even then quarantine could be introduced in the UK at short notice from what I've read. That's why we'll do things separately .... just in case.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:27 pm

Staggering to read this from not even 2 years ago, 50,000 deaths from flu in the UK in 2018 and no lockdown or mask wearing, shattered lives and economies. What is the difference now? Article partly behind the paywall but the first paragraphs with the numbers are visible......and true.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... effective/

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:49 pm

That was just in England and Wales BTW and seemed to have been caused by an ineffective flu jab, a colder than usual winter plus late delivery of vaccines. Presumably a lot of people did not have to go into hospital or need the ICU perhaps for flu, whereas serious case of Covid did require that, putting more pressure onto the NHS thereby warranting the lockdown. An article from 30 June 2020 in a medical journal says: Britain recorded 65,000 more deaths than usual in the past three months as the coronavirus ravaged the country but numbers are now returning to normal.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:19 pm

The point is disregarding the time of year, strain of flu or any other parameter more people have died on a year to year basis from flu than have died from Covid, yet no lockdown or restrictions to prevent it. Looking at other countries records now and it seems a similar trend elsewhere.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:37 pm

In spain 15,000 died from flu in the last 2 years with no lockdown

It's not actually possible to find a years's worth of Covid 19 statistics

More than 28,000 have died from covid from March to the present time, about 4 - 5 months with a lockdown.

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/ne ... rlos%20III.

https://www.healthplanspain.com/blog/he ... begun.html

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:17 pm

In addition the UK has brought back the 14 day quarantine for Spain so I suppose Spain will do the same on travellers from the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53540691

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:09 pm

Good point mark. Forgot about that. Depends if they want to get the tourists in or not? We have family due at the end of august. Flight only cost 30 quid with free rearrangement so no big deal either way
Last edited by elusive on Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:32 pm

Devils Advocate wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:27 pm Staggering to read this from not even 2 years ago, 50,000 deaths from flu in the UK in 2018 and no lockdown or mask wearing, shattered lives and economies. What is the difference now? Article partly behind the paywall but the first paragraphs with the numbers are visible......and true.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... effective/
I now remember articles saying the vaccine had not worked but never gave it another thought. I wonder if this virus had not been whipped up by the media and there had not been testing it would never had got to this mass hysteria. Leaders all over the world are like headless chickens, all copying each other and led by the media.
I read the whole article and on the page was a prediction we may have to start wearing gloves ffs!

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:13 pm

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:53 pm

markwilding wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:17 pm In addition the UK has brought back the 14 day quarantine for Spain so I suppose Spain will do the same on travellers from the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53540691
Can Spain afford to turn visitors away? I think they will stay open and get what money they can for July and August.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:17 pm

So do i costakid, no fool would turn money away just for spite and Spain certainly cant afford to do it and if they did then what justification would they have, they would have one heck of a job explaining that to their tourism sector,

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:37 pm

Our friend was due to come over to us in August but that wont happen now. Her work told her that 14 days self isolation will be without pay. I wonder how long it will be before the isolation will be reviewed. 3 weeks?

Vaccines. Uk is expecting a large number to get vaccinated against flu to save burdening the nhs is flu victims. Keep beds free for second cv19 wave? Is Spain doing a similar bigger than usual flu vaccination programme?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:00 am

As far as I Know, it is always available, especially for the elderly. The mother in law always has hers without fail

At least, the consensus from Costa, Pamela and my wife is the quarantine won't be reciprocated. Having had time to think about it over a nice drink, I've come to the conclusion they are probably right.. We will know in the next day or so.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:53 am

It's irrelevant whether Spain imposes quarantine as there will not be any Brits coming as the FCO advice has gone back to essential travel only which rules out travel insurance.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:07 am

That's a massive point the OH brought to my attention yesterday, how many will realise it?

We just have to face the fact it's simply not worth the financial risk and stress of travelling outside your own country with the goal posts moving every 5 seconds and the pretty dire holiday you'll have anyway if you do. We'd have had to have flown out no matter what by now if we'd not been lucky enough to sell up last year, but I'd not have been looking forward to it. It's as though the aim is not only to make people obedient, it seems they want to take any enjoyment they may have away....as well as their livelihoods and mental/physical wellbeing. Next "happy" period should be Christmas, now watch that get manipulated in to a complete and utter nightmare too.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:37 am

All very true, DA but I am happily at the home of my parents and will see what unfolds. Had I come to the UK with a holiday and hotels in mind I would not be a happy bunny right now. I don't think this upsurge in cases is a second wave. It's still the first one that, after all, never went away. It won't go until there is no one left to infect or it gets bored.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:12 pm

Hope everything goes perfect for your remaining stay Lavanda and you have a great time. I also hope no more goal posts change and that you get back to your house with no unneeded stress or worry.