Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:40 pm

My daughter told me that while she was in Spain the one thing she noticed was that people don't seem to know the meaning of the word self distancing, she thinks people have a false sense of security because they are wearing a mask and that's probably more reason to think masks are doing no good whatsoever...
I don't think it is just a Madrid problem, if bars are busy everywhere and crowded then there is bound to be infections passed on... They were all busy in the local village while we were over there and in all honesty the bars we visited had as many people in them as we are used to seeing under normal circumstances..Does it have anything to do with very low infection rates in the area and an attitude of it hasn't really reached us here, who knows!
Trying to control people is a never ending battle because Europeans are not by nature obedient people and unless they lockdown as they did before then it's a battle they will be facing every day... locking down isn't the answer, it just prolonged the spread and damaged the economy..The min they lift it then it starts all over again.
Interesting to read a big news story some weeks back about a mother who thought it was ok to still take her child into school in Madrid after the child had been tested for the virus until the result was known...No different here only not every story will hit the news headlines...A class of children in sons school were all sent home with temperatures, the schools are not allowed to tell the parents to get them tested...they can only suggest they follow gov guidelines..Turns out one child got a test and is positive while the others are still trying to get tested because there is a shortage...teachers who came into contact with the class are now at home self isolating as are all the children in the same class...then a child in his class was sent home with a temp, the mother kept him off for one day and sent him back in...they had to ask her to come and collect him again as he was still running a high temp..She was very angry and said ok i don't know why i bother sending him to school then if you keep sending him home, they learnt that it was her birthday and she was having some kind of day time house party...I don't think it entered her head to get him tested or that he could have a virus which may spread to others! In the meantime the school have no clue as to whether the child has been tested/is going to be tested or or even if she intends to return him again on Monday...In the meantime track and trace only works if someone has been tested positive and if people don't get tested with symptoms then the track and trace is useless at best..I expect it won't be long before the whole school closes and it could well be avoided if people do the right thing.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:58 pm

There seems to be a misunderstanding of my post regarding overcrowding in Madrid. The problem isn’t because people aren’t social distancing. I don’t know where your daughter was but here in general people social distance including in bars where tables are separated on terraces and inside bars the tables are even further apart. Spaces have been created in the road in many places to allow bars to accommodate more customers while having a good distance between tables. I spent the afternoon in Bilbao yesterday and did some shopping and didn’t notice a lack of social distancing. It might be different in other parts of Spain but I spent a couple of weeks in Catalonia and it was similar . Young people are the ones that tend to congratulate together.

The overcrowding I wrote about are in underprivileged areas where families live very close together in flats where maybe more than one family live in the same flat. This is causing a major problem in Madrid. Obviously, there are also other spikes where large groups get together in family and friends gatherings in other parts of the country but that’s another story.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:25 pm

Masks don’t seem to have stemmed the flow of infections here.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:39 pm

I do not think things in Cáceres, Mérida or Trujillo are any worse than anywhere else, Elusive, but I don't really know. Nothing seems to be making headlines here ...

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:49 pm

I could only speak as i found Mark the same as you have. My daughter was in Malaga area, far away from Bilbao. People might think ah no wonder it would be tourists...yes very much so and the majority of them were Spanish, not all youngsters but of mixed ages.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:12 pm

Lavanda wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:23 pm I agree, Mark. I am still not convinced by masks but I do wear then as I like to be law-abiding.

The bigger problem is lots of people crammed into an inside space celebrating events such as First Communions. Look at what is happening in a tiny village in a remote part of Spain. It's not just Madrid and overcrowding issues, is it?

https://norteextremadura.es/eljas-sierr ... UnsLa4A3Pc
Can’t see how the masks work when cases are rising. This evening we went for drinks at a neighbours house, I realised we were 7. When I mentioned it someone said restrictions didn’t start until Tuesday, another person said it doesn’t count for South East and a third said so what! There are some who are really scared, called bedwetters. We had a flu jab yesterday and walking back through the village an old woman holding a mask turned her face to the wall as we walked past. Ha ha. I think it should be left to take it’s course, what will be will be.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:29 pm

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:25 pm

Although people queue with the 2m gap, they still are reaching around you in the shops to get things off the shelves beside you without so much as a perdon. It is pretty quiet here now that August is over and we only go shopping in the mid afternoon anyway, but I've not noticed that people are giving me space when in the shops. It's probably true that the masks give a false sense of security.

I managed to eventually get to see the Dr the other day and an appointment to have my blood tests. The health centre was quite busy at blood taking time with people milling about in the corridor and we were dealt with two at a time in the nurses room. The last time I had my blood tests was the week before lockdown started in March, and then we were allowed in only one at a time to have our blood taken and the door was shut between each patient. Last week, there were four members of staff and two patients in the small nurses consulting room at once! Plus the door was open and others were sticking their heads in for a few words too ... business as usual apart from the fact it is devilishly difficult to get a physical appointment in the first place!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:50 pm

'business as usual' ... I hope with all my heart that we don't go back to 'business as usual' ... we have made such a mess of this planet and we are paying for that and we should start rethinking just about everything we do ...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:42 pm

I meant at the Dr's, Gavilan. The fact that all and sundry is in the nurses room whilst you're having blood taken.

I am hoping long term that the world will be a better place, but with corrupt and greedy governments and rulers around the globe who care for nothing except making money for themselves, I'm not holding out much hope (thinking of logging, burning rain forests, general corruption and exploitation of people).

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:56 pm

Lavanda wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:39 pm I do not think things in Cáceres, Mérida or Trujillo are any worse than anywhere else, Elusive, but I don't really know. Nothing seems to be making headlines here ...
Thanks. I do abit of googling but nice to hear from ppl up there.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:59 pm

Wicksey wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:42 pm
I meant at the Dr's, Gavilan. The fact that all and sundry is in the nurses room whilst you're having blood taken.

I am hoping long term that the world will be a better place, but with corrupt and greedy governments and rulers around the globe who care for nothing except making money for themselves, I'm not holding out much hope (thinking of logging, burning rain forests, general corruption and exploitation of people).
Very true. You only have to look at the news thats come out about HSBC amongst others and here we are worried about losing bank accounts while the banks are protecting criminals and money laundering

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:35 pm

Has there been any hints if there will be restrictions tomorrow? Seems unlikely. After all the lockdowns were useless and the masks don't seem to be much use. Madrid seems to be trying to avoid another lockdown. I know Ayuso is not very popular but I agree with her stance.

"Isabel Diaz Ayuso said 'the solution is not a total confinement' and demanded more help from the Spanish government as new restrictions were imposed on parks, shops and restaurants in another eight districts today.

Ayuso, who has previously argued that 'people get run over every day but that doesn't mean we ban cars', is opposing tougher restrictions despite calls for new measures from Spain's health minister. "

I did see an article in the UK that said after 17 deaths were announced in UK that ONS figures showed that at the same time 80 died of flu, 450 from cancer 500 heart disease and 160 from accidents. Expect it is similar in Spain if there were figures. More tests, more lockdowns. No mention of false positives and a figure for those asymptomatic would be useful.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:08 pm

I've been to the Torrox Town Hall this morning. Signs abound in three languages, the normal stuff, disinfect, maintain distance etc.
Inside no disinfectant, the normal shoulder to shoulder seating, no masks on the staff (all the visitors were masked) there is obviously no virus in Torrox. :lol:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:09 am

We can move pretty freely here but must wear masks. There's still lots of hand sanitisers at the entrance to every store and all social activity is distanced or in small groups that live together.

I know we had the conversation about masks BUT the DO steam up my reading glasses making shopping very frustrating. Masks and glasses do NOT mix. Also, my masks — and I have many sorts and styles — tend to ride up my face when I am not wearing glasses and when the top edge of the mask rubs against my lower eye lid I have to touch the mask to move it down. For the last two weeks I have had a stye and eye infection in my right eye. Oh! Joy! I also get a very dry throat and cough when wearing a mask BUT it's only the fibres from the masks and the restricted flow of air NOT the virus. For me, masks are not easy at all.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:21 am

Apart from the maladies that masks cause they are the first step in robbing us of our identities in preparation for the dystopian New World Order. Nothing whatsoever to do with any hyped up virus.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:21 am

They had a dummy run back in 1918 but nothing came of it :wink:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:22 am

I'm finding less hand sanitiser in shops these days. It's easy to walk in and miss it if it is there. Nothing to wipe the trolley handles with in Lidl although there was still paper and sanitiser in the carpark area of Mercadona. Carrefour was the best as they seemed to clean each trolley between use and put a label on it, plus have staff to ensure everyone cleans their hands as they enter.

Must say the mask is becoming a bit of a pain now. My OH doesn't like going for a walk on the paseo with it on, although last week we were practically the only people there in Torrox Costa so we 'adjusted it' (partially removed it) so we could breath again.

Lavanda, I'm interested to see you say you get a dry throat and cough. We've noticed that too and my OH likes the blue medical ones, but I have a variety of different cloth ones, but we both notice the same effect.

Biggest problem for me is hearing and understanding what people are saying. My hearing isn't brilliant and I tend to lip read but without sight of people's mouths I now really struggle to understand as the speech is so muffled.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:55 am

Havent seen anywhere about problems being stored up or happening with washing hands too much or aggressively. I have a friend who works in a food environment with customers. Her hands are now in a right state..

Anyone having trouble with masks. Use a valved one. Meets the law except at the ITV station of course!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:12 am

I posted this a while ago:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 28721.html

If the virus doesn't get you maybe the counter-measures will whether it is masks or hand sanitiser or depression and suicide.

I never use the hand sanitiser provided. The stuff inside may not even be what it says on the label (always assuming there is a label).