Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:26 pm

However, just go to the BBC website and there it is in it’s main story in a sub heading summery at the top of the page.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-55701652
Sky news also reported it, and they also answers your other question regarding when. I have read, heard and seen on TV that the most vulnerable should be vaccinated by mid-February.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-mor ... e-12190563

I regularly listen to the radio news and the current figures for the percentage of groups people vaccinated are reported all the time

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:23 pm

Thanks, Mark.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:44 pm

The UK vaccination program is a shambles. An elderly friend who lives in London was vaxxed a few days ago and was told that it would 'take effect' after twenty one days and that her second shot would be in twelve weeks time. She was adamant that she had the dates and timing correct.

According to everything I have read the second shot should be given twenty one days later with Pfizer and twenty eight days with Moderna with a window of plus four days and that it is effective (effective at what, though?) seven days after the second shot.

I have already posted links where the instructions are that the doses should not be modified, there should be no mixing of different types of vaccines and the timetable must be adhered to.

On Telediario yesterday I think it was the health minister who explained the apparent delay in the vaxxing program by the fact that they were prioritising the second shot because it was imperative that they gave it exactly twenty one days after the first.

At this rate, By the time the vaxxing programs are completed the vaccines will be obsolete. Given the number of people in Norway who died shortly after being vaxxed it is probably just as well.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:59 pm

Postcode lottery I think. 2 main health centres serves this area. One has vaccinated all the over 80’s and second dose too. Other has done all over 80’s and started vaccinations for over 75s but second dose will be 6 weeks later. A friend still not had hers and she is 83, lives in Surrey. I went to my surgery last week for routine test and saw people waiting for vaccs. Many looked quite young, suppose they could be care workers.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:32 pm

It's definitely the case that The Basque Country as well as Madrid are holding some back to make sure the they can vaccinate people twice in the allotted time scale but most regions haven't done so.

The UK have decided to get as many people vaccinated as possible so more people get their first shot but then have to wait longer for the second one. The argument is that it's better to vaccinate twice as many people with 75 percent protection than half as many with 90-95 percent protection.

The pharmaceutical companies disagree so we will have to wait and see

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:55 pm

Wow...Boris & Co think they know better than the experts. Where have we seen that before? I suppose they are doubling down on their bet now, what's another 10,000 deaths on their hands when they already have 70k.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:16 pm

Some countries seem to be unable to get over the fact that Brussels messed up and UK got in first. The 27 are squabbling like children with nasty comments. Also with vaccinations running fairly good in UK. Will get better now that Astra Zeneca is circulating as the freezing was difficult for small surgeries.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:15 pm

markwilding wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:32 pm The pharmaceutical companies disagree so we will have to wait and see
They would have to as it is contrary to their instructions on which the authorisation was based. In the UK the regulating authorities could force them to conform or remove authorisation but they won’t because it is obviously a good idea for getting maximum coverage out of limited supplies.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:26 pm

I think if people come out with sweeping figures of politicians having death on their hands maybe Brussels should be included for more than deaths than some other countries leaders. Clear that they effed up the vaccine if your read german and other countries press comments. No fan of Boris but ffs sake leave it out. Unless I was young I would be a bit more concerned about what is happening in the country I live in.

Jury is out as to apply 2 does or not. Some countries are using it as an excuse for low vaccination rates. The vaccine may not even work for 1 or 2 shots. Spain not bad, they are half way on the top of the pops (jabs) list.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:27 pm

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/N ... 7?query=RP

Here is the source data on the pfizer vaccine

One dose 45% effective after 12 days (however it is not known how long the 45% effectiveness lasts as the vaccine is designed to be given in two doses so this was never tested)

Two doses 95% effective 1 week after it is administered.

Why the UK is delaying/skipping the second dose is because they calculate the efficacy differently from the manufacturere. The UK ignore the people who got infected in the first 15 days after the first dose.
To give an example if 100 people get vaccinated and 30 get Covid in first 15 days...those people are ignored. So after day 15 the vaccine nobody gets Covid then according to UK calculations the vaccine is 100% effective. The people infected in the first 2 weeks are ignored.

It makes great press now and makes the UK look like they are super successful at giving the vaccine and very easy to bash other countries now. However it's a big gamble and reminds me of the story of the 3 little pigs...I just hope the big bad wolf doesn't blow the whole house down

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:34 pm

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:18 pm

I know this is incredibly selfish and horrible of me but I am rapidly losing interest in all this because, right from the start, I smelled a rat. No. Wait. That was the Bubonic plague, wasn't it? Anyway, I was reliably informed by our Mayoress this morning that people in my age group 60-69 will not be offered the vaccine until the Summer and just for good measure it is doubtful the swimming pool will be open this year, either. I'm happy with that (the vaccine bit not the swimming pool bit) because in another six months I am pretty sure I will not need the vaccine and, more importantly, will not feel guilty in refusing it. This whole thing is BONKERS. I think I have said that before. Meanwhile, more important things are happening elsewhere in the world but you have to look hard for that news ...

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:31 pm

I am at risk on four counts, one of which is age. How are we informed our turn is due and to make an appointment to be a pin cushion ? Anybody know ? It surely can't be by post.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:32 pm

katy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:34 pm https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n18
Thanks, the article you linked to confirms the UK are taking several risks, for example

---- Could the gap lead to vaccine resistant strains of SARS-CoV-2?
Paul Bieniasz, a retrovirologist from Rockefeller University who is studying how the virus can acquire mutations, has warned that the UK was taking a gamble that risked fostering vaccine resistant forms of the virus. He told the news site STAT, “My concern, as a virologist, is that if you wanted to make a vaccine-resistant strain, what you would do is to build a cohort of partially immunized individuals in the teeth of a highly prevalent viral infection.”14

When asked about this concern, a Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson did not directly answer the question, saying rather that it was “vital we do everything we can to quickly and safely protect as many vulnerable people as possible from this virus” ----------

Maybe that will lead to a second strain emerging from the UK...I wonder what name that might get?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:56 pm

I don't know how it works, Lyric. All I know is that our Mayoress, who is a personal friend and we talk English together, told me this morning about the time scale here but I do not know the methodology for arriving at the timescale and the decisions that are made as to who gets the jab and when.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:57 pm

Paddy Pumpkin, totally agree. That's how antibiotic-resistant TB has become so widespread.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:03 pm

Here is the official schedule. It is being run directly by the Andalucía Health Ministry via the local health centre
Attachments
FB_IMG_1610648286032.jpg
FB_IMG_1610648286032.jpg (25.18 KiB) Viewed 914 times
FB_IMG_1610648300833.jpg
FB_IMG_1610648300833.jpg (19.24 KiB) Viewed 914 times

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:26 pm

Lyric wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:31 pm I am at risk on four counts, one of which is age. How are we informed our turn is due and to make an appointment to be a pin cushion ? Anybody know ? It surely can't be by post.
That is precisely why I started the Corona virus in Spain thread so that factual info on when and where vaccinations will take place wouldnt be diluted or indeed subsumed with chatter on whether vaccines any good, which country was doing best, How rubbish Boris is, how rubbish the UK is etc. That isnt to say this thread hasnt got merit. It has. We all have concerns bout the vaccine concept and what it will achieve - if anything.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:40 pm

I actually started this thread with the same intention but that went within days. In my opinion it was a good idea to set up at least one thread which just gave out the facts with procedures and factual information regarding getting vaccinated.

Let's hope that now members use this one to offer opinions while the one you started can be left to give information.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:11 pm

olive wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:26 pm
Lyric wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:31 pm I am at risk on four counts, one of which is age. How are we informed our turn is due and to make an appointment to be a pin cushion ? Anybody know ? It surely can't be by post.
That is precisely why I started the Corona virus in Spain thread so that factual info on when and where vaccinations will take place wouldnt be diluted or indeed subsumed with chatter on whether vaccines any good, which country was doing best, How rubbish Boris is, how rubbish the UK is etc. That isnt to say this thread hasnt got merit. It has. We all have concerns bout the vaccine concept and what it will achieve - if anything.
Yeah really helpful isnt it. Friends in their 80s in Spain don’t do internet and haven’t a clue what is happening in Marbella. Everyone seems to know what is happening in the YUK ha ha.