Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Coronavirus

Postby markwilding » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:28 pm

It's a good idea to keep up with how the situation is in Spain and locally where you live in Spain. Measures have been taken in Vitoria, close to here, to close schools and public events for two weeks so the situation is as developed as most other European countries and there have been more deaths so far in Spain than the UK.
I've also read that football games are to be played behind closed doors.

andalucia
Site Admin

Re: Coronavirus

Postby andalucia » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi there,

We have created this page and are currently researching the locations of the confirmed cases.

https://www.andalucia.com/health/corona-virus

We will try to keep it up to date including the source of the infection.

Admin

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:11 pm

I was wondering when someone was going to mention the subject and good that Mark has, it helps to know from forum members what the situation is in Spain, not only for those living there but for people who have travel plans. My mother who is elderly was meant to travel with us to Spain at Easter but now has decided to stay at home,she has also cancelled other events in the Uk which she would have loved to have attended but better safe than sorry considering her age and one or two health problems which the virus should she get it put her in real danger.
I know it has been said that there are as many people who die from flue each year but this world wide virus seems to have caused a major panic and with good reason for many who have already got health problems, that aside it's also started to cause major economy problems and the travel and tourism industry especially could be hit very hard. It puts Brexit well in the shadows..

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:22 pm

An elderly friend who was due to fly back to th UK tomorrow has decided to stay here for the duration.

She is convinced, and probably quite rightly so, that she will be far safer tucked away in her remote Andalucian hideaway, not just from corona virus but also from ever escalating knife crime, than she ever would be in the British hell-hole known as London.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:46 pm

I know of a number of people with trips or cruises organised in the next couple of months to Italy and other parts of Europe who are cancelling. Problem is, unless advised officially by the FCO not to travel to a certain country, then the insurance won't be paying out. These people are elderly, some with health issues.

I find it strange that Italy is in apparent lock down yet planes continue to arrive from northern Italy today. According to newspaper reports yesterday there were no special measures or instructions for people arriving back to UK airports from northern Italy. Having said that, you can easily be carrying it without a temperature even if they did test, so will passengers self isolate once returning? Not sure what the answer is to stop it spreading as the planes aren't cleaned between flights and the crew will be on a number of flights each day.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:48 pm

The share market has been battered. Ive stopped looking, driving me mad watching money dissapear.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:59 pm

panic buying is alive and well.

Our local co op and agri stores haven't got any face masks. Key piece of safety equipment for our use during the current weed spraying season. Also useful items for those of us that suffer from hayfever but still have to go outside.

had to smile at folk (Australia for example but UK as well) buying up stocks of toilet paper. Is that some sort of sign of where we are in a civilisation chart? We don't need extra stocks of basic food like pasta and rice but heck we sure do need to be able to wipe our rears!

Whilst the thought of susceptible people dying is very sobering, a bigger concern is the likelyhood of global recession on a scale that might dwarf the 2008 crisis. If that happens what chance an economy like Italy going into meltdown with their banks collapsing? We are just heading for the start of the holiday season. Valencia has cancelled the Fallas a big earner. Who would go on a cruise?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:13 am

andalucia wrote:Hi there,

We have created this page and are currently researching the locations of the confirmed cases.

https://www.andalucia.com/health/corona-virus

We will try to keep it up to date including the source of the infection.

Admin
Useful info. Did not know there were patients in CDS hospital with the virus. A friend was admitted a few days ago (car accident) and she was not aware there was anyone admitted with flu.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:40 am

This is a very good link. Updated several times a day.
https://www.rtve.es/noticias/20200311/m ... 4681.shtml

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:19 pm

It seems to have taken root in Madrid and i read a piece in the Olive press regarding the Vox deputy leader having the Virus, apparently he was seen sniffing and coughing at a 9,000 people event or something to that description in Madrid. 52 party members are in self isolation while other Vox officials are off to visit Donald Trumps administration, not the best of timing..

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:32 am

Pamela1 wrote:... 52 party members are in self isolation while other Vox officials are off to visit Donald Trumps administration, not the best of timing..
Probably not going to get into the USA reading this mornings news!
Gerry

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:20 pm

Easily circumvented. Flight to Ireland or UK and then onward to US.

The various governments are just making it up as they go along

How are the bank capitalisations going? Lets hope we aren’t asked to bail them out again. Hopefully Christine Lagarde is hard at work behind the scenes .

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:44 pm

It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:04 pm

In Granada province there have been no cases until this morning. The Almunecar health centre has reported 5 cases amongst health workers and the centre is temporarily closed for deep cleaning. All local events have been cancelled, including next weeks Feria and the markets are closed.

Time to raise the drawbridge.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:53 pm

Here schools are closing tomorrow. for 2 week, I will have to follow suit and close my academy maybe as soon as from last class this evening.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:16 pm

On a lighter note, someone has dug up this clip from one of my favourite TV shows of all time:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... wsource=cl

and has anyone read 'The Eyes of Darkness' by Dean Coontz?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:00 am

Brilliant clip .... it was such a well written show, and so true.

I see Spain is now second worse in Europe with an overnight rise in cases. EasyJet's just announced they have waived their change of flight fee allowing any planned trips to be altered. I have a couple coming up in the next few months but I am hoping things have settled down by then.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:13 am

friend of mine went down to the coast yesterday to Lidl supermarket ... he surprised by full car park and panic buying within ... thought I would check statistics this morning ... Malaga 97 cases out of population 589,000 ... UK 590 cases out of population 66.87 million ...

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:29 am

If the media tell you there is a shortage of anything, anything at all, there is a large % people who for no logical reason will go into meltdown and panic buy even if they have no need for the item in question.
I So Bella tis you

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:38 pm

No tonic on supermarket shelf here in UK. Someone posted on Facebook ( so it must be true) that tonic protects against C19.

I admire your optimism Wicksey. Spanish government says they expect the peak to be 2 to 5 months time. In Britain they are hoping to “for e” the peak into the summer hols period! When NHS is less stressed.