Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby elusive » Fri May 01, 2020 11:50 am

Manchesteral wrote:
elusive wrote:You can only go for a walk with someone you live with
But not alone ?

Yeah of course. Alone aswell. My reply was in relation to going for a walk with a neighbour

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri May 01, 2020 11:55 am

Pamela1 wrote:Still can't understand why Peter said Mercadona was crowded given that Spain has so many restrictions in place, lot's of standing around and people chatting, kids everywhere, anyone know why?
Ive only ever seen lidl restrict entry.until now its been quiet at all supermarkets ive visted. Mucky D's was abit busier this week but our local supermarkets are never overly busy anyway except in summer

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri May 01, 2020 11:58 am

Thanks for the clarification :-) !

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Fri May 01, 2020 12:00 pm

Pamela1 wrote:Still can't understand why Peter said Mercadona was crowded given that Spain has so many restrictions in place, lot's of standing around and people chatting, kids everywhere, anyone know why?
No can't understand also. My Mercadona has strict controls and security at the entrance controlling the number of shoppers that enter. Was in there yesterday and definitely no overcrowding, certainly no chatting or clogging up the aisles and no children that I saw on my visit. I would have thought all Mercadonas adhered to similar guidelines even company policy.
I So Bella tis you

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri May 01, 2020 12:02 pm

Because a lot of people are thick! Given that police seem to be prioritising roadblocks they will be working at night and sleeping during the day, leaving very little capacity to police behaviour.
There are lots of traits that I like and admire about the Spanish, but they are simply not brought up to consider others, certainly not above themselves.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 01, 2020 12:30 pm

I haven't seen crowded supermarkets in either Eroski or Mercadona. There were people at the entrance of both controlling distance to enter and leave as well as providing gloves and hand cleanser. In both local small shops and big supermarkets from what I have seen is everybody maintaining a distance while queuing.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 01, 2020 12:35 pm

Must be a Murcia thing! I was in Mercadona earlier this week and it was quiet. One woman had a child with her but otherwise not too many people.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri May 01, 2020 12:36 pm

My OH has done the majority of the Mercadona shopping as it is in walking distance, but until now we have both found everything well run. It is the change that is puzzling and worrying. I am doing a Lidl run using the car today (the heavier stuff like 5l oil, cases of wine..) so will see what I find.

K&LTupper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby K&LTupper » Fri May 01, 2020 12:56 pm

I didn't realise you were permitted to drive to a supermarket further away than the one you can walk to, I have been under the impression you were supposed to use the one closest to your residence. Maybe this is just an Andalusia rule?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 01, 2020 1:06 pm

Actually in my local Eroski they were controlling how many people could enter the fruit and vegetables section at one time so as to avoid overcrowding.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri May 01, 2020 1:15 pm

I didn't realise you were permitted to drive to a supermarket further away than the one you can walk to, I have been under the impression you were supposed to use the one closest to your residence. Maybe this is just an Andalusia rule?
In Extremadura one person could go to a supermarket in their car if they needed things not available locally. In my case it is various things for the dog and gluten-free things for a neighbour. The village shops are excellent but do not carry everything. Not sure about Andalucia but Extremadura is not crowded with villages or people so maybe it's just a local thing here?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri May 01, 2020 1:19 pm

The difference in distance is minimal. We have Aldi, Consum, Lidl and Mercadona within 1.1 kms of our house. There does need to be a certain amount of common sense in all this, sadly lacking in some people and some of the rules. I would argue that the car parking at our Mercadona is crowded together and closed in, a bigger risk than the wide open spaces at the others where it is quite possible to maintain 2 metres separation out of the car.
In my opinion there has never been any sense to the one person in a car rule, as long as only one goes in to shop, but anyone breaking this rule has stood out like a sore thumb, thus lining them up for a fine.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri May 01, 2020 1:45 pm

Just realised (after 15 years in Spain - Doh!) that today is Labour day, so Mercadona shut, Lidl closes in 15 minutes....

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri May 01, 2020 2:09 pm

It's 1st May, and Labour Day the world over, including in the U.K. However, who knows what day it is or even month? During lockdown who is counting?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri May 01, 2020 2:12 pm

That is why you found Mercadona crowded yesterday. :wave:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri May 01, 2020 2:20 pm

Gerry - yep!
And Lavanda, it may be Labour day worldwide but it is not a public holiday in the UK this year. Although they normally make it the first Monday in May it has been moved this year as part of a commemoration of something - V E day?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri May 01, 2020 2:43 pm

Thanks, Peter. I'm so out of touch with most things!!!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 01, 2020 2:46 pm

I don't think that you have to go the nearest place to shop because if everybody just packed into the small supermarkets walking distance to their house and nobody drove to the bigger out of town hypermarkets,you would create even more overcrowding in some while others would be virtually empty.

Strange to hear that parking places in Mercadona are so narrow there. Their presence here in The Basque Country is recent so they have all just been built in the last 1-3 years and there are two white lines between every space to allow shoppers to easily pass with a trolley

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri May 01, 2020 2:51 pm

Before all this Covid our Mercadona was due to be replaced by a shiny new one, right next door to the Aldi that only opened last year. Hopefully this will be like its rivals with wide spaces (and maybe by some miracle the bays angled to encourage parkers to drive front first and follow lane direction arrows?)
Last edited by peteroldracer on Fri May 01, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Sounds like my kind of preferred parking space Mark, people will prefer them to the usual small car parking spaces ...They were not built for car doors to be opened never mind the Suv's there are around these days.