Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:57 pm

The Emergencias 112 here are giving packs of two free masks out going round the houses. I tried to wear one on my walk to the bins last night but apart from my specs steaming up found I simply could not get enough air into my COPD (EPOC in Spanish) lungs.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: My specs steam up, as well. Then I have the problem of an extra-long fringe (we are advised not to cut our own hair during lockdown) which comes down so far it almost meets the mask going up and shopping is a bit of a pantomime. I find I am constantly adjusting the mask and brushing my hair out of my eyes but, it's not a hardship compared with life in other places, etc, etc.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Where do you live?

If they are giving them to everyone on public transport it suggests that they have adequate supplies.

We hear lots of pros and cons about whether they should be used but it seems to me that wearing one cannot be worse than not wearing one.

I haven’t needed to use one so far as I haven’t left the house for 7 weeks! However I would not step outside without one. We bought two N95 masks in early January before they became almost unobtainable, should we need to go out.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:04 pm

we are advised not to cut our own hair during lockdown
Where does that come from ? No hairdresser I can understand totally but doing my own, don't understand.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:14 pm

Having a hairdresser daughter who lives at home with us means not having hair problems. :thumbup:

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:17 pm

Not a problem for politicians too I observe. :)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:18 pm

Lyric wrote:
Where does that come from ? No hairdresser I can understand totally but doing my own, don't understand.
The only consequences of DIY are ending up with a dreadful haircut, but if no one is going to see it for the next 6 months it really doesn’t matter!

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:08 pm

Exactly right, Sid. I have a daughter-in-law who is a hairdresser and she told me not to cut my own hair. My regular hairdresser, in the village, posted that no one should cut their hair but to wait until she opens again. That's without all the advice in Vogue on-line and the Daily Telegraph and all the other (weird) things I read advising "Don't do it!" Anyway, I hope i made you all laugh!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:41 pm

Lyric wrote:
Google coronavirus haircuts :silent: :lol:

Blokes are ok. They can just have a number one all over!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:56 pm

“Blokes are ok. They can just have a number one all over!“
I think I saw something like that on an internet site...no me gusta, gracias!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:25 pm

Was in England 10 days before the lockdown here just as it was gaining headlines so brought 5 X N99 3M branded masks back and wear every time I step out of the house, also bought a Hair trimmer by chance but not had the courage to use it yet. Certainly wont let the OH have a go as she has a very peculiar sense of humour.
I So Bella tis you

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:53 pm

I cut OHs hair today, ordinary scissors. Was coerced into it as fed up of hearing him moaning. Didn't take me long and he is very pleased with it. Maybe I should set up as a mobile hairdresser.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:07 am

We have a hair trimmer thing with attachments giving options of 1" to 0.25" (inches, yes, it's an old gadget but works brilliantly). I've been doing my husband's hair for years, 1" in the winter and 0.25" in the Summer. Had I known lockdown would take so long I would have got him to give me a 1" all over haircut weeks ago!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:50 am

I was lucky that I had my haircut the Tuesday before lockdown started. Some of friends weren't so lucky and they eventually trusted their OHs to cut it and they haven't done a bad job. I always cut my fringe if it gets on my eyes but can usually go a good 2 - 3 months without having it cut if necessary.

The most I'll do is to get my OH to trim the length at the back (I've cut his for years using a trimmer) and may have to use a hairband to keep it off my face if I get desperate. I have always dyed my hair myself so I'm keeping that up. No way am I going grey as it goes like a Brillopad and I have been out shopping at least once a week since lockdown began.

On the subject of masks, as we are in the campo then I don't think we'll get anyone delivering them here. We are not old enough to get the free supply that Lyric mentioned is available in Torrox.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:10 pm

Neither my wife nor I have been to a hairdresser since we came to live in Spain and we are as far from 'shaven-headed' as one could possibly get although my hair isn't quite as long as my wife's! Anyway, back to the plot.

Two articles which I have found of great interest voices the concerns of many who are afraid to speak out for fear of being branded conspiracy theorists or purveyors of fake news by the self-appointed cognoscente or Zuckerberg's anonymous 'fact checkers'. (They sound a bit like Orwell's 'The Watchers') However, I now find we are in good company:

https://www.eldiario.es/politica/Alvare ... 98967.html

https://www.elmundo.es/espana/2020/04/2 ... b45fe.html

There is also another article from last week:

https://www.periodistadigital.com/polit ... 404292098/

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:15 pm

I So Bella tis you

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:48 pm

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020 ... month.html

367 death figure and more recovered than infected in the same 24hr period.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:23 pm

I laughed out loud at the headline in your last link, Beachcomber!

Watched the whole thing, paulinmalaga. Very thought=provoking and makes me glad I'm not 25 with 75 years ahead of me if it's going to be like this, virus or no virus.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:04 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Neither my wife nor I have been to a hairdresser since we came to live in Spain and we are as far from 'shaven-headed' as one could possibly get although my hair isn't quite as long as my wife's! Anyway, back to the plot.

Two articles which I have found of great interest voices the concerns of many who are afraid to speak out for fear of being branded conspiracy theorists or purveyors of fake news by the self-appointed cognoscente or Zuckerberg's anonymous 'fact checkers'. (They sound a bit like Orwell's 'The Watchers') However, I now find we are in good company:
I think you may have that the wrong way round. Facebook and other social networks are the main sources of fake news . I would have said that it is at this very moment facts and proven evidence are very important. It seems to that it's about time Facebook and co started taking this problem seriously Not sure why anybody would think otherwise.

The 5g conspiracy is a good case in question. People have been pulling the masts down when all the scientific and I'm saying all the scientific evendnce tells us that it's just not true that 5G is a cause of the virus, You also had Trump talking about taking bleach to kill off the virus. Not a clever thing for a man, who has followers that hang on his every word

However, the links posted are not fake news. There's nothing wrong with questioning personal freedoms being lost. In fact it's quite important, I would go even further and say it's actually the job of politicians to ask question of the incumbents to keep them in check. Very few people would disagree that many personal freedoms are being sacrificed . However I would answer, some of us live and work in cities, including hospitals and I think I have the right to be able to expect my wife to be able to travel safely to and from work while working in place where the virus is all around her and not bring it home to the house and community because some people believe their rights to move freely around should not be curtailed.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:47 pm

HUGE questions, Mark. Whenever I used to take groups of students (17-19 year olds) on foreign residential trips I always read them the riot act and finished with this: "The selfishness of the one cannot take priority over the safety of the many". Maybe people do not agree with that but all the students took it onboard and I never had problems with them thousands of miles from home. However, watch the video that Paulinmalaga has posted and it does raise some very disturbing things.