Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Coronavirus

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:50 pm

I was thinking about doing the same katy, but figured now its too late.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:13 am

Your grandson is in good company, Katy, because the managers of my pension fund must have done the same thing. After an initial slight drop when coronavirus reared its ugly head it has now increased substantially to a level that could never have been achieved in a pre covid world.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:42 am

There will be always some who benefit from others misfortune.. :(

And when others fall from power because of their greed and lust for power their victims will be affected by 'Schadenfreude'.

What a wonderful world we live in.. :think:

Regards,
Gordon

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:20 am

Well, let's hope that applies especially to the world's mega billionaires rather than a young entrepreneur who is making the best of a bad job:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... nto-profit

K&LTupper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby K&LTupper » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:36 am

One of the many industries here in Spain as elsewhere to have benefitted greatly from the current pandemic must be those who deal in perspex screening. I think a lot of people/companies especially in the early days of the outbreak made a tidy sum from sales of face masks and plastic gloves. But sadly there will as ever be a great many losers.
But there's never been a better time to invest in Tin Foil :wink:
https://3wnews.org/uncategorised/111892 ... s-by-2025/

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:38 am

BC,
I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly, unfortunately I suspect that it will be the already megarich who will come out on top.

I always have and always will encourage entrepeneureal spirit....

Regards,
Gordon

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:13 am

A cynical old bat like me might wonder exactly WHY the entire world shut down over a virus that kills such a tiny percentage of the population — in actual terms. Could it be that, in a world where every country's economy was heading south anyway and the fact, yes, fact, that most western countries are trillions in debt and printing money like trees are finite, wait, they are, could it be that all this coming financial disaster has been organised in order for some extremely wealthy people and corporations to make money? I wonder. This is not a conspiracy theory. It is the musings of a person with independent brain cells and a jaundiced view of the way we have constructed our societies.

PS Good link, Beachcomber. I read it earlier and just sighed.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:16 am

It may have been posted or seen before, but a friend passed the link over to me last night.

It appears on the face of it to be the Gov.uk site.

Read what it says about Covid, just a few days before lock down.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-conseq ... f-covid-19
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:41 am

I have tried checking the authenticity of the page and it appear genuine so I googled the heading and got this explanation

https://onthewight.com/why-covid-19-was ... ding-them/

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:48 am

Yes Mark same here, it is genuine I now believe.

Is it any wonder why people raise eyebrows though about the whole thing?

That is the Gov.uk website not the Daily Mail.

To me it's incredible to see it there and enforces what I believe still to be a massive, costly and pointless over reaction to the problem.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:00 am

Yes, DA and Lavanda, I entirely agree. The World Health Organisation and its leader have much to answer for.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:11 am

I'm sure that over-reactions and knee-jerk responses in some areas were probably happening, however if the safety measures hadn't been put in place who knows that maybe there would be men with carts now going around the streets shouting out 'Bring out your dead'. :think:

It's a bit like sitting on the beach watching a tsunami coming towards you, do you run or hope it will stop short of you ?

I still think that the basic instructions ie, keep washing your hands and WEAR a MASK was really good advice.

Regards,
Gordon

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:13 am

Lavanda wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:13 am A cynical old bat like me might wonder exactly WHY the entire world shut down over a virus that kills such a tiny percentage of the population

Yes, but but many more people died than would be normally expected for the same period and that was with the lockdown. We take precautions for many circumstances in life but because they are effective, it doesn't mean the precautions were a waste of time. Using an umbrella in a heavy shower to keep us dry, doesn't mean it's not raining. It also doesn't mean that because you are not getting wet, you can take it down because as soon as you do the problem returns. The only way that can be done without getting wet is the shower must end

We will probably never know exactly what would have happen if we hadn't gone into lockdown but every 3 days the infection and death rates were doubling so you do the math.

I don't disagree with anyone who says that many in government are self centred, greedy and power hungry. The worst being the incumbent in the White house but I don't see it as some sort of master plan but as the way it has been throughout human history. The first settlers in the USA were wiped out due to disease and starvation but the Mayflower group survived due to the co operation and help of the native Indians. No conspiracy, just nature and man having to deal with each other.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:28 am

Devils Advocate wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:48 am Yes Mark same here, it is genuine I now believe.

That is the Gov.uk website not the Daily Mail.

To me it's incredible to see it there and enforces what I believe still to be a massive, costly and pointless over reaction to the problem.
Yes' but I while I was checking its authenticity, I was also checking for the reasons why it was being downgraded from being a high consequence infectious disease, which concurs with what most scientists are saying anyway. But it is still pretty contagious and dangerous.

Obviously, you didn't read the link sent you.
Downgrading doesn’t reduce C19 seriousness
By the Government no longer classing Covid-19 as an HCID does not mean it isn’t dangerous or serious – it’s just that it no longer meets the closely-defined criteria for an HCID.
https://onthewight.com/why-covid-19-was ... ding-them/

I also refer you to mine and Gordon's previous posts , who for me has given the best advice in the whole thread
better to stay a few metres apart for a few more months than risk being in a box 6 foot under for ever.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:33 am

I think there should have been a short, strict two week lock down at the beginning. A new version of the virus is spreading fast and will be harder to cure...Coronaphobia.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:43 am

I am certainly not afraid of getting on my life. I will embrace every relaxation of the rules but I can see that there might be a problem with some people

However, I'm starting to see another virus creeping into the thread as well. The Corona virus deniers. this is absolutely impossible to cure. One look at the recently started post in the lounge proves that.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:44 am

Some experts claim that the overuse of ventilators especially on most patients with serious existing conditions led to a high death count in the beginning.
Talking with the paramedics who took OH to hospital March 13 (not corona related) I asked them if they were busy due to the virus. They were not concerned and had a storm in a teacup attitude. One said most cases they had attended had been very mild.

Do you know anyone personally who has had it? I only know one, a Cousin in Yorkshire. Never been a case around the villages here yet.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:50 am

Yes I do as I have posted various times, and I also know someone whose father died from it.

Many cases and deaths around here.145 deaths in one day in the region at one point .
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:55 am

markwilding wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:28 am
Devils Advocate wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:48 am Yes Mark same here, it is genuine I now believe.

better to stay a few metres apart for a few more months than risk being in a box 6 foot under for ever.
Agree about distancing, just incase. Would do the same if someone had a heavy cold. We preempted the change in rules as invited to drinks at neighbours, a Paediatrician until retirement last year. There were 7 of us and as the evening wore on distancing wasn’t great. Lot of slips, saw OH and him almost shoulder to shoulder moving a heavy sofa across the garden. Someone else popped to another table to pick up a whiskey bottle.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:16 am

Code: Select all

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politics/refuse-abide-bonkers-rules-longer/ 
Will the rebellion spread to Spain?