Hayfever

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Hayfever

Postby elusive » Mon May 04, 2020 9:26 am

Anyone know of anything stronger than the standard loratadine and cetirizine that can be bought/prescribed?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Hayfever

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 04, 2020 10:31 am

Try asking at the farmacia elusive. Or perhaps a phone appointment with your Dr for something that could only be prescribed? We are both suffering worse than ever before this year. My eyes are just streaming all the time and the farmacia gave me some antihistamine eye drops which are helping. My OH is on Loratadina but so far it's not improved things much.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon May 04, 2020 1:06 pm

Yeah ive suffered for years but im just continually blocked up like im full of cold at the min. sore eyes and sneezing alot isnt good during these times! Doesnt help my throat problems. Lorat and cet.. seem to be the same strength, one just makes you less drowsy but cant really see any alternatives when i had a quick google.you would think there would be differing strengths of antihis.. spent so much in the chemist lately dont fancy going in again. OTC things seem to be so expensive for the most part. Bought some mouth ulcer gell ala bonjela and stepfen (sp) the other day nearly €20!! On some meds from the dr at min so if need to make another appointment i will ask as she gave me some cet.. and i had already been taking them for the last few weeks with no difference.generally i would stock up with them at morrisons but they dont seem to work much now anyway

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 04, 2020 2:45 pm

I take Loratadine as it's non drowsy. I am very sensitive to any drugs that make you sleepy but they seem to be fine for me. OH is on day 4 of taking them and reports that he is feeling a little improved this afternoon. He tried nasal sprays like Becanase but often you can only use them for a maximum of 7 days, so the tablets are worth trying. Loratadina here is about 3.50€ or 4€, I think, not expensive. It's the worst we've been here I think, OH is completely blocked up like he's got a very heavy cold.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon May 04, 2020 6:11 pm

Yeah ive alway used lorat and cet as they seem to be the standard ones yoy find in the supermarkets etc maybe for to many years as they dont seem to make any difference now. All the wild flowers out around us now are so beatiful and its great to be able to get out and see them but heck im paying for it!