Donating your body to medical science

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Manchesteral
Resident

Donating your body to medical science

Postby Manchesteral » Tue May 26, 2020 5:04 pm

Sorry to introduce this morbid subject but I'm exploring the possibility of donating my body to medical science, does anyone have any info regarding this, Funerals are so depressing !

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Donating your body to medical science

Postby costakid » Tue May 26, 2020 9:52 pm

Difficult for anyone to comment or give info because none of us have ever done it yet I guess.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue May 26, 2020 10:12 pm

If its Malaga Province I can give you details....
I So Bella tis you

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 27, 2020 9:32 am

If you have loved ones you might want to consider the affect on them, in the time of maximum grief and shock having to see you disappear - within a very very short time of death. Having seen the way medical students show no respect for the cadavers they worked on would also put me off.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 27, 2020 11:00 am

We've no plans to have funerals, so I don't really care what happens after I'm dead. Donating organs seems to be at least a good way to do some good after your demise. My MIL never wanted a funeral so we didn't have one and we didn't miss it. My FIL feels the same.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 27, 2020 11:10 am

Organ donation is only possible if the death occurs in hospital as everything starts to deteriorate once the heart stops, unless there is some form of life support. Only around 2% of deaths of willing organ donors are actually suitable, so it seems a lot of fuss for little possibility. The law in Spain is that organs are assumed to be available as far as I understand it. Not sure if there is any opt-out system, but as they will not even take blood from anyone in the UK before the mad cow problem I doubt they would be keen on anything else?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed May 27, 2020 12:39 pm

Thanks for your replies, I'm still thinking about it !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed May 27, 2020 12:43 pm

Wicksey wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:00 am We've no plans to have funerals, so I don't really care what happens after I'm dead. Donating organs seems to be at least a good way to do some good after your demise. My MIL never wanted a funeral so we didn't have one and we didn't miss it. My FIL feels the same.
Hi wicksey, without a funeral how will you dispose of your bodies, have you made plans ?
I'm thinking about this for various reasons but the main one being that funerals are depressing and the deceased doesn't care, I just don't want all the fuss !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed May 27, 2020 12:44 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:12 pm If its Malaga Province I can give you details....
I live in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 28, 2020 11:50 am

Manchesteral wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:43 pm
Wicksey wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:00 am We've no plans to have funerals, so I don't really care what happens after I'm dead. Donating organs seems to be at least a good way to do some good after your demise. My MIL never wanted a funeral so we didn't have one and we didn't miss it. My FIL feels the same.
Hi wicksey, without a funeral how will you dispose of your bodies, have you made plans ?
I'm thinking about this for various reasons but the main one being that funerals are depressing and the deceased doesn't care, I just don't want all the fuss !
My MIL still was cremated but there was no service or ceremony. No tea and cakes afterwards! I think they just scatter the ashes in the grounds of the crematorium if you don't want them. My dad didn't want my mum's ashes and I think that's what happened to them.

We had a friend that died here and they cremate you the next day often, unless you need it to be delayed. There was no service and she took the ashes back to the UK when she moved back later on. So there's a number of options if you don't want to have a funeral.

We both just want to be cremated with no kind of ceremony.