Private health insurance

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Manchesteral
Resident

Private health insurance

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi all, can anyone recommend a reliable private health care insurance company that don\t charge the earth, Thanks Al

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Private health insurance

Postby olive » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:21 pm

Could I ride on the back of your query please?

For a while we have been thinking that as we get older we ought to take out private health insurance on top of our Spanish State health care. The idea being to cover hidden costs of say losing eyesight or mobility. Obviously not to cover any pre existing conditions.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:03 pm

I'm sure you are both aware that if you wait until you are 65 or older, then the premium will be considerably higher than if you take out a policy before you are 65.
The policy usually just increases yearly with inflation.
Pre existing conditions are not normally covered.
We are with Prevision Medica, this years premuim, for both of us, me 75 and my wife 74, is 202.08 € a month.
I have found, so far, that Prevision Medica have some exclusions.
They won't cover laser surgery treatment, not that we have actually needed it yet, or eco Endoscpies, conver normal endoscopies as both of use have had several.
My wife needs and Eco endoscopy so I will be paying for it.
Also won't cover maternity costs for my wife is she becomes pregnant.
Not too worried about that. :think: :silent:
Easy to contact them by email when something needs authorising.
For medical appointments/ proceedrues that don't need authorising then just hand over one of their cheques, that cost 2E each, at the medical centre.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:58 pm

I have recently been diagnosed with a stage one tumour on my bladder, As I am not yet in the Spanish health system I have been paying for various consultations, ultra sound etc at private clinics who seem to be treating me as a cash machine.
I am not worried at this point as I will hopefully be within the Spanish healthcare system pretty soon.

The reason for my post is that I have been told by a friend who has recently been through the registration process for residencia that until I am actually registered in the system my application will not be looked at favorably unless I have some form of health insurance to accompany the application, I am due to attend an interview to present my EX18 next Thursday and don't want to be short of any documentation, anyone shine any light on this and perhaps give me some guidance, thanks Al.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:27 am

Not quite sure what you mean as you cant apply for residents status unless you have private healthcare (unless you have an S1 etc)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:03 am

Looking at people's experiences on the Citizens advice bureau in Spain, It seems that it has become more difficult to apply for residence in Spain since early July. Proving financial independence and having private health care are two important requirements now. The whole process is not as simple as when I did it when I moved to Spain some years ago.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:59 am

If you are on the Padron for a year some places will let you buy into the health service via the convenio. It's on the Brits Embassy website. Some areas do but some don't. With that health conditions are irrelevant when signing up for it. Might be worth checking out.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:47 pm

Manchesteral wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:58 pm The reason for my post is that I have been told by a friend who has recently been through the registration process for residencia that until I am actually registered in the system my application will not be looked at favorably unless I have some form of health insurance to accompany the application, I am due to attend an interview to present my EX18 next Thursday and don't want to be short of any documentation, anyone shine any light on this and perhaps give me some guidance, thanks Al.
Isn't it the EX20 now presuming you are registering for the first time Manchesteral, with the two step process (immigration office then police station) for which you'll need income and health cover details. More info here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residency-r ... -july-2020

I think the EX18 was the form we used previously for residency when Britain was still part of the EU. Now you have to apply for the TIE card which is for 'third country' residents (ie non-EU). Sorry to hear of your health problems, BTW. Hope you get something sorted out.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:06 pm

elusive wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:27 am Not quite sure what you mean as you cant apply for residents status unless you have private healthcare (unless you have an S1 etc)
Ok, I went to register at the police station at my appointed time, i was rejected because I don't yet have an S1, long story, they told me that in the absence of an S1 I would need medical insurance for 1 year as I expected !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:19 pm

Re my earlier post, for anyone interested I have taken out a good health insurance with Santalucia, Sanitas at 142 euros per month!