Covid Vaccinations Spain

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Covid Vaccinations Spain

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:12 pm

katy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:39 pm Even having to have a test is risky, so many false positives too. There you are, holiday all paid up, sun tan bought, attend for test and bang, it's positive. I know someone who obtained special permission to visit her sick parent in France...she tested positive although asymptomatic. back to the drawing board in a couple of weeks time!
Well in all honesty none of it makes any sense anyway, who says that a vaccinated person doesn't have the virus when they travel, to me that makes a vaccine passport nigh on useless.. I could understand it more if the vaccine put an end to the virus being passed on but it doesn't.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:34 pm

olive wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:57 pm Thought I would start a thread for positive contributions about the Spanish vaccination rollout.

Positive informative contributions only please.
Can I remind posters that this post was the original post.

Please post your negative views on one of the other threads.

I think it is fair to say that the majority of members are planning to accept the vaccine but are concerned about factors such as where and when

Thanks

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:03 pm

Ok. I will be positive, have my second jab in 10 days time. Cases are dropping in many places around the world, vaccine or not. France quite high though. Will be a miracle if I get there in May.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:28 pm

Sounds like the vaccination program is well ahead in your area katy..My mother had her first one at the end of Dec but no word of when she will get her 2nd one yet but i suspect it won't be long.. Having said that i received a text this afternoon asking that i click on the link in the message to book my vaccination appointment..It must mean they have made a start on the over 60's group and my appointment is for this Sat, feeling apprehensive, didn't expect it to come so soon, i thought perhaps April.
I also have flights booked for May but it remains to be seen if i get there..

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:09 pm

To everyone who has made the decision to be vaccinated my Mum, at 94, and my Dad, at 97, have both had theirs and had absolutely no bad effects — not even a sore arm.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:37 am

Wicksey, just to say I echo your thoughts 100%.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:26 pm

Had my jab this morning but it's early days to know if i will have any side effects. Afterwards they directed me to the room where you are asked to sit down for 15 mins before leaving, there were about 20 other people seated, from there we were given a leaflet about the vaccine by a member of staff who was very proud to announce that the clinic is no1 in the North East for the total of vaccinations they have given..He was very condescending telling everyone seated that they should be smiling and followed on with with his explanation as to why, a woman behind me said she had felt very apprehensive about having the vaccine but went along with it, she said she wasn't sure she had done the right thing, one or two others felt the same.Then one man spoke up and said ok so tell me what is there to smile about, are you going to hand out £50 notes.. At that point it was my turn to leave.. :lol: :lol:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:23 pm

IreneD wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:37 am Wicksey, just to say I echo your thoughts 100%.
Thank you Irene. Good to hear from you :wave:
Lavanda wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:09 pm To everyone who has made the decision to be vaccinated my Mum, at 94, and my Dad, at 97, have both had theirs and had absolutely no bad effects — not even a sore arm.
My 94 year old FIL has had both his jabs. When we spoke to him the other day he had washed his car that morning, gone shopping in Tescos, then spent the afternoon sawing logs :thumbup: . He's fitter than both of us :crazy:

I see that they may be approving the Janssen one here that only needs the one jab. Can't remember where I read it now.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:56 pm

I think, Wicksey, if a person is fit and healthy they are less likely to have a bad reaction to the vaccine.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:14 pm

Spanish media has now picked up with the news that the AZ stops 94% of hospitalisations. UK papers have now predicted that germany and france will U turn and offer it to the over 65s. I doubt it unless they get really short of vaccines. Anything with Oxford in front is a no no. Hungary is using Chinese and Russia vaccines. Strange none of us asked where our flu vacs came from.
From Diario Sur

The Lancet' muestran que, tras la primera dosis, se muestra una eficacia de la vacuna del 76 por ciento manteniendo la protección hasta la segunda dosis. La eficacia tras el pinchazo de recuerdo aumenta hasta un 82 por ciento cuando la segunda dosis se administra con un intervalo entre dosis de 12 semanas o más

According to this flu vaccines had less protection

21 CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, the current influenza vaccine has been 45% effective overall against 2019-2020 seasonal influenza A and B viruses. Specifically, the flu vaccine has been 50% effective against influenza B/Victoria viruses and 37% effective against influenza A(H1N1)pdm09.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:44 am

Can anyone tell me if there is a testing center in either Malaga airport or in Torrox itself? We are planning to go over in June to visit our daughter and as we will have been vaccinated, just want to be tested when we arrive to make sure we have not picked up any virus from the plane and pass it on to my daughter and her partner by accident (as I know that scientists are not sure if it can be transmitted to someone if you have been vaccinated). We obviously don't want the cost of separate accommodation but are prepared to take alternative accommodation if we cannot be tested when we arrive.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:05 am

Would it show up that quickly if you had been infected on the plane and had a test immediately on arrival? Obviously we don't know yet what the requirements will be for arrivals from the UK. Currently until 16 March all non residents are banned but I guess they will formulate something by then to allow visitors, perhaps either vaccine certificate and/or a PCR test like now.

There was an article in October saying that Malaga airport was going to provide testing but I couldn't find anything to confirm that it's been put in place. There is a clinic in Nerja that does the test: http://clinicanerja.com/information-about-covid-19/

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:09 pm

Thanks for the info. I did read that the EU is in talks with various Southern Med countries about a Covid Passport as they want to open up their countries to tourism again but Von Der Leyen said it should be in place by June. To be honest I would have agreed with you about the results of a test perhaps not showing up any virus immediately on arrival but as the airlines are testing before boarding and then at the other end very often they have to have another test (not sure if it is immediately or after a few days), perhaps it does show up in the test if not in the symptoms soon after contracting the virus. :roll: :roll:

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:18 pm

Found info on this site but it also says it will not be available for incoming tourists so maybe not an option for us ! http://www.surinenglish.com/local/20210 ... 129-v.html

I think maybe we should think about staying in separate S/C accommodation on arrival for a week or two just to make sure we are not infected when we get to see my daughter :wink:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:32 pm

I don't know if you are at any more risk of picking up Covid from a flight than any other situation. We went away last October and both outward and return flights were full and there was no testing required before flying (being an internal flight). I think you're just as likely to pick it up in Lidl as on a flight! Although we all have to wear masks the locals don't seem to do social distancing in the shops and I never see Lidl staff wiping down the trolleys and we've found the hand sanitiser at the entrance empty. The vaccination programme is much slower than the UK so probably most people we encounter here haven't been vaccinated.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:05 pm

Dunflittin68 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:18 pm Found info on this site but it also says it will not be available for incoming tourists so maybe not an option for us ! http://www.surinenglish.com/local/20210 ... 129-v.html

I think maybe we should think about staying in separate S/C accommodation on arrival for a week or two just to make sure we are not infected when we get to see my daughter :wink:
You can arrange a test at a private clinic for when you arrive, basically the same as people do when they are departing from Spain and get a test.

There are several near Malaga airport offering Antigen and even one I found offering PCR test with results guaranteed in less than 12 hours

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:09 pm

Wicksey wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:32 pm I don't know if you are at any more risk of picking up Covid from a flight than any other situation. We went away last October and both outward and return flights were full and there was no testing required before flying (being an internal flight). I think you're just as likely to pick it up in Lidl as on a flight! Although we all have to wear masks the locals don't seem to do social distancing in the shops and I never see Lidl staff wiping down the trolleys and we've found the hand sanitiser at the entrance empty. The vaccination programme is much slower than the UK so probably most people we encounter here haven't been vaccinated.
You are very lucky then. A friend of my daughter's who lives here in the UK died last night through a series of bad luck events. He was 77 and had underlying health conditions (a liver complaint I think), anyway he shielded for 12 months for protection as he was considered very vulnerable and never left the house not even for shopping, even his wife didn't want to risk bringing it home to him so they ordered all their food online. About 4 weeks ago his wife was invited for her vaccination but he wasn't as he was registered with a different doctor at the same clinic. Anyway, he decided to take his car out for a short local run as he felt the battery would be flat and whilst he was out a couple of youngsters in a car ran into him and he was taken to hospital with quite mild injuries and was released a day or so later and was fine, but was readmitted a few days later with a chest infection (non Covid related) and subsequently caught Covid whilst in there and as I say he died last night 3 weeks after being admitted. It was quite tragic because if he had had the vaccine at the same time as his wife he would probably still be here now. All the worse for his wife left behind grieving for him.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:11 pm

Apparently after speaking with my daughter in Torrox, she told me that they do Covid tests at the same place as she and her partner went for medicals for their Spanish driving license. So there is a local service for it apparently.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:28 pm

I believe in mixing with people as normally as possible although I accept I am not in any way in the vulnerable group. We've been meeting friends for lunch and eating out as normal when possible throughout the past year, for example. I know people have been told to shield but then surely they lose their natural immunity to some extent. (My FIL was a dentist and was very healthy all the time he was working in close contact with his patients, but when he retired and saw few other people he seemed to catch everything going.) It is very sad that the person you write about caught Covid in the hospital, which I don't think is uncommon from what I've read over the past year. The series of events that lead him there were such bad luck.