Vaccine war with EU

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Vaccine war with EU

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:53 pm

El Cid wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:34 am Looks like Spain are going to follow the rest of the EU and stop using the AZ vaccine on the over 65s.

That’s not going to help speed up the rate of vaccinations.

Sid
Probably not Sid, so does this mean those under 65 will now be getting their vaccinations earlier considering there should be now more of the Oxford vaccine available in Spain? No point in just keeping it in the cuboard :lol:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:07 am

Who knows? Also, they do not appear to be taking into account existing serious medical conditions. CNN news today described it as a "catastrophic disaster".

That sounds about right to me.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:39 am

My Mum is 94 and had the AstraZenica. My Dad is 97 and had the Pfizer. Why the different treatments?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:07 pm

I used the Spanish online calculator and putting in yes or no to underlying health conditions made no difference to the jab date window.

My 95 year old dad in UK was offered the Pfizer but declined when he found out how far he had to travel. He had the AZ one at his local surgery. Maybe the difference was down to what they had available?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:02 pm

olive wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:07 pm I used the Spanish online calculator and putting in yes or no to underlying health conditions made no difference to the jab date window.
What "Spanish online calculator"?
Do you have a link to it?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:06 pm

Lavanda, just a guess, it was probably what they had available.Did your parents go to the same clinic on the same day?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:13 pm

You can find the calculator here

https://cronicaglobal.elespanol.com/cro ... 3_102.html

Its not very helpful as it doesn't seem to actually change if you have serious health problems.

If you are over 80 it's March 1 to March 23. If you are over 70 it says March 1 to May 1. If you are 40 it says the same!

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:43 pm

No. They went to the same place, Pamela1, but six days apart.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:43 pm

Ah oh Lavanda, maybe they had used up all pfizer vaccine supply and started with the oxford one..
You could say that between them both they have the mix and match vaccines. :wink:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:09 pm

I think most of the smaller Centres will be using AZ because of the ease of storage. Everyone one I know seems to have had Pfizer at ours.

I had a scam email yesterday claiming to be from NHS click on to book appointment. Sure some will fall for it.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:47 pm

What are your preferences people? Az or Pfizer? Mine is AZ

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:53 pm

I would go for the AZ as it’s a more traditional method. However, being over 65 I probably won’t be offered it. I shall probably end up with Sputnik or the Chinese one as that’s the only way the EU will get enough!

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:59 pm

Correct, you won't be getting the AZ one if this article is correct.
https://english.elpais.com/society/2021 ... r-65s.html
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:07 pm

If I were to have it then the AZ one would be preferable as it uses a well tried and tested method of vaccine production. I feel the Pfizer and Moderna ones are using new methods that I understand have not been tested extensively up until now.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:43 pm

For me, AZ or nothing and preferably, nothing.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:53 pm

My thoughts also Wicksey, i guess time will tell about all the vaccines, which ones turn out to be the most effective, down to which ones have had the most side effects.My mother had the pfizer vaccine and had no problems with side effects, didn't have a sore arm.My sons partner who is a dentist had her first oxford jab and had one day of shivers and headache, also her arm was swollen and inflamed but it cleared up a few days later.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:00 am

I saw something on the Spanish news last night about only giving the AZ one to people 18-55 years old. I'm not sure where they're getting their data from as the UK are monitoring people who have been vaccinated and I'm sure they said it's effective on people of 80 years old.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:14 am

I find it really difficult to believe anything about the various vaccine jabs that are available and I'm in no hurry to get one !
Personally I've decided to just continue keeping my distance when I do have to go out and I'll 'sit it out' and wait and see.
I'd prefer to see the vaccine being offerred to people who have to be involved with the public, whatever their age, after all it's probably them who unwittingly pass on the virus.

Regards
Gordon.
( reporting from my bunker ) :shifty:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:30 pm

I'd prefer to see the vaccine being offerred to people who have to be involved with the public, whatever their age, after all it's probably them who unwittingly pass on the virus.
-----------
Totally agree. People in public facing roles.bus,taxi drivers supermarket checkouts (especially in the uk wheres theres loads of O.A.Ps still having to work in asda etc).frontline public services. Alot of these people are also in at risk groups due to race etc. An 85 year old isnt going out and spreading it around. Probably not even going out at all. If you want to cut the infection rates and then death rates give it to those who are the spreaders and at risk themselves.

I dont know how any data is accurate at the min. Its way to early to say anything. Thats why its always "could" or "should" at the press conferences. What happens in 4-5 months times after people have had their 3 month gap second vaccine and the figures arent going down in a substantial way. What if they realise that waiting 3 months causes the immunity from the first jab to have weakened so much the second jab doesnt give full immunity?

Theres so many ifs and buts no one can say anything with any certainty for along while yet. Giving the first doses to a population thats naturally going to be dieing off within a short space of time doesnt help in knowing any longterm consequences either

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:34 pm

There is always a lot of haggling who should be vaccinated. No one seems to bother about Supermarket workers who have been frontline for almost a year now. Some are quite elderly too.