Vaccine war with EU

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Vaccine war with EU

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:24 am

A blunt exchange between Doctors for Covid Ethics and the European Medicines Agency over 'investigational gene-based agents':

https://doctors4covidethics.medium.com/ ... d867f0121e

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:33 am

Pamela1 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:22 am Yes i also saw that news, never gave it much thought, had they said the booster for the most vulnerable was AZ then i'd have mulled over that. Pfizer was the only vaccine used in my area from Dec to end of Feb..Looks like they are going to give those who had Pfizer 1st and 2nd dose the same for the booster...So i'm not surprised the order is for 60,000..
Up to mid March when they would have finished first doses for at risks, AZ was the most used with 13.7m v Pfizer 10.9million. So there is no way 60 million Pfizer is needed to cover those.

The total of the original Pfizer on order was 40 million so now they have ordered more than 40 million it must mean the UK Govt is going to give Pfizer boosters even to people who had AZ the first time around.

One interpretation is that nobody wants AZ anymore even in the UK. So you could easily come to the conclusion that AZ won a short term battle against the EU but are losing the war because nobody will order from them again given how they treated the EU.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:25 am

Possibly correct, Europe certainly doesn’t want AZ after all the initial bad mouthing, aided and abetted by the high charging big pharmaceutical cartel.
If it is true demonstrates how vindictive and maliciousness the EU is by spending millions in Lawyer’s fees to sue whilst at the same time preventing other countries from accessing it.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:57 am

Lavanda wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:04 pm That is certainly one conclusion, yes. Another is that the number of people who want to be vaccinated is drying up.
Could be. Our Surgery posts on Facebook occasionally re. Vaccines. This week someone posted that they had tried to book online and it was half hour away. Someone from the surgery posted to ring the surgery as they had slots for Friday.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:52 pm

The EU has warned that Russia is trying to undermine trust in vaccines that are not sputnik.

https://euvsdisinfo.eu/uploads/2021/04/ ... d148d8c88e

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:02 pm

They're still offering the AZ to people in the their 60s here. A friend was rung today with his appointment and when he said he didn't want AZ they said they'd give him the Pfizer instead.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:33 pm

With many people refusing AZ the only answer is to offer an alternative.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:27 pm

Or tell them to get to the end of the queue if they have no other vaccine to offer. There are plenty who will take AZ no problems. Definitely there are more people in Spain who will happily take it than there is supply of vaccine.

At the moment there is not enough supply of alternatives to AZ to meet demand in the UK. Hence the slow down in 1st doses in the UK.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:42 pm

katy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:52 pm The EU has warned that Russia is trying to undermine trust in vaccines that are not sputnik.

https://euvsdisinfo.eu/uploads/2021/04/ ... d148d8c88e
To me it was very strange that Russia is shipping this vaccine when so many are still dying there. Then I heard a report on the world service of organised trips from Germany to get vaccinated in walk in centres in shopping centres where they will give Sputnik V to anyone who wants it. Basically Russians won't take it themselves so they have excess stock and are happy to give it to anyone who wants it

There is no way I would take a vaccine from Russia, the same country with a state doping programme for athletes. The Russian public themselves won't even take it! So I think Russia has an impossible task to convince other countries to take it on mass.

I think undermining other vaccines will only double the untrustworthiness of Sputnik V.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:32 pm

As I said other countries in the EU would catch up. I don't trust liar Boris and his band of fibbers one little bit. Any question about sleaze is deflected with how well the UK's vaccine programme is doing and how bad the other countries are doing,

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslond ... d=msedgntp

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat May 01, 2021 8:49 am

Interestingly the German plan is to 'offer' the vaccine to everyone by the end of June. The UK plan is to 'offer' the vaccine to everyone by the end of July. I guess it's down to what is the meaning of offer!

Also the UK plan is to vaccinate anyone over 20 so their % figures will appear higher because other countries % is of the population over 16.

Side note.....the country with the highest vaccinated % in EU is Malta and it is higher than the UK

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 01, 2021 1:13 pm

Gibraltar is fully vaccinated too (except for those who didn't want it) and they have vaccinated Spanish workers who go in.
I don't care which country gets there first provided that it not at the expense of UK. Seems a bit silly sending unvaccinated Brits to countries with high figures when the UK is now at 1 in 100,000. They may come back with one of the hundreds of mutations. :wink:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat May 01, 2021 2:49 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:42 pm There is no way I would take a vaccine from Russia, the same country with a state doping programme for athletes. The Russian public themselves won't even take it! So I think Russia has an impossible task to convince other countries to take it on mass.
After Salisbury I don't think anyone should give Russia any business.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat May 01, 2021 5:47 pm

katy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:13 pm Gibraltar is fully vaccinated too (except for those who didn't want it) and they have vaccinated Spanish workers who go in.
I don't care which country gets there first provided that it not at the expense of UK. Seems a bit silly sending unvaccinated Brits to countries with high figures when the UK is now at 1 in 100,000. They may come back with one of the hundreds of mutations. :wink:
It's not quite 1 in 100,000 it's roughly 50 per 100,000. It's been these level for a few weeks now. It's not dropping as quickly as the death and hospitalisation rate.

I guess that is because mainly younger people who are still getting infected as they are not vaccinated...and they wouldn't have ended up in hospital anyway. Or in other words those in danger are already protected and are not ending up in hospital.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat May 08, 2021 2:34 pm

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-eu-seals-ne ... a-57469709

EU buys 1.8 billion vaccines from Pfizer. AZ shot themselves in the foot by taking on the EU.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 08, 2021 3:15 pm

It was the EU (Von Liarden) who took on AZ surely. If they want to pay through the nose that's ok. Maybe the EU will now allow the rest of the struggling countries to receive the AZ, Africa etc.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat May 08, 2021 3:56 pm

Pfizer are being brave after the fiasco with AZ. :lol: Lets hope they can deliver.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 08, 2021 7:59 pm

Ursula made a big speech recently, bigging up how well she had done. Is there no system in Brussels where they have to face questioning. If her *beep* up had happened in the Uk there would have been questions in a Committee. Is there no one who could ask her if she had death on her hands after the EU was in limbo for a couple of months due to their(her) ordering process.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat May 08, 2021 8:06 pm

No.

When you are omnipotent no one challenges your wisdom. Bit like Napoleon 200 years ago.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat May 08, 2021 11:05 pm

katy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:15 pm It was the EU (Von Liarden) who took on AZ surely. If they want to pay through the nose that's ok. Maybe the EU will now allow the rest of the struggling countries to receive the AZ, Africa etc.
The UK did the same, so they are paying through the nose also.

..see my post from April 29th

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56921018

UK orders 60m vaccines to use as booster jabs for those most at risk.

AZ is the cheapest and most widely available. It is the vaccine that the UK has ordered the most of so is most familiar with and it is the vaccine that has been most widely used with the at risk group in the UK. It is also the easiest to store and transport with the added bonus that it is manufactured in the UK by a UK company. What is not to like?

The UK placed the order with Pfizer.

Is there an EU export ban on AZ? Is there a UK export ban on AZ?