Vaccine war with EU

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Re: Vaccine war with EU

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:45 pm

Beachcomber wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:20 pm AstraZeneca has now attracted nearly a half a million adverse events and 521 deaths in the UK alone. I think it may have lost the 'vaccine war with the EU'.

Latest figures from the deeply embedded Yellow Card reporting system which is actually two weeks behind real time:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -reactions
Taking the presumption that all 521 were directly due to the vaccine and none were deaths that would have occured anyway.

Presently the UK has administered 41 million of the planned 93 million doses of vaccines (presuming all adults get vaccinated)
If deaths continue at the same rate (521 per 41 million) when all vaccines have been administered that would be 1,200 dead.

A few numbers to put 1,200 in context.

Every year approximately 610,000 people die in the UK
Every day in the UK approximately 1,670 people die
The highest single day of deaths from Covid in the UK was 1,820
1,200 'extra' deaths is 0.00197% increase in the UK normal death rate
695,000 people died in the UK last year this represent a 13% increase in the normal UK death rate
There are 46.5 million adults in the UK. 1,200 deaths is 0.0026% of the population

You are 115 times more likely to die in a car accident than you are by getting vaccinated.

Play the Irish lottery every week and you are more likely to win the Irish lottery jackpot once every 3 years than you are to die from a vaccine.
So if you play every year for 60 years you will win it 20 times.
Minimum jackpot is 2 million EUR, so statistically speaking you have more chance to win 80 million EUR on the Irish lottery than you have of dying from a covid vaccination

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:50 pm

Taking the same presumption that all the 'covid' deaths were directly due to the covid and none were deaths that would have occurred anyway.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:05 pm

Sorry there was an error in my maths.

You are more likely to win only 40 million (not 80 million) playing the Irish Lottery than you are to die of a Covid Vaccine.

I fell poor all of a sudden!

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:13 pm

And you are more likely to die of a Covid Vaccine than eating Rice Krispies on a Thursday......statisically bla bla bla :lol:

steve_w
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby steve_w » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:29 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:45 pm
WARNING: PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE ANTI-VAXXERS ... IT ONLY ENCOURAGES THEM! :silent: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:02 am

https://www.gponline.com/first-dose-cov ... le/1712405

Bit of an obscure link, but I heard this from someone who works in the NHS so I went digging a bit to see if there was any news coverage. This was all that I could find that was anyway recent about vaccine supply in the UK.

So basically the link says UK has little no vaccine supplies for younger people so the people getting first vaccine shot will slow down dramatically. Hence the switch in focus now to second jabs.

Did the UK put all their eggs in the AZ basket and will have trouble getting to the finishing line?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:31 am

Not according to this mornings news, states that 30 yr olds are being vaccinated and the programme is2 weeks ahead. Same locally too. Was in DM or Telegraph. Think it mentioned Moderna.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:39 pm

steve_w wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:29 pm
Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:45 pm
WARNING: PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE ANTI-VAXXERS ... IT ONLY ENCOURAGES THEM! :silent: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There are a number of us on here that have said we do not want the vaccine for numerous reasons. I don't think any of us are "anti-vaxxers". I am not old enough for the pneumonia jab but I think it would be worth having when I am able. I am happy to have a tetanus or any of the tried and tested vaccines if I really needed them. If others want the Covid vaccine it's entirely up to them and I would not try to dissuade them otherwise. It's down to personal choice, but I am not an anti-vaxxer just because I want to make my own informed decision as to whether I want to have it or not.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:42 pm

Totally agree, Wicksey. There should be a law against bullying people who chose not to take up this particular vaccine.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:00 pm

Please get back on topic.

This thread is about the vaccine supply situation in the EU.

It has nothing to do with whether anyone wants it or not.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:35 pm

Today the EU has officially begun legal action against AZ on behalf of 27 countries. I wonder where the hearing will be ECJ or a neutral country?
A bit ironic when 2 days ago it was stated that the EU has over 20 million of it stockpiled.

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/2021 ... ine-delays

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 pm

The contract states that it is written under Belgian law so the first port of call will be the Belgian courts.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:32 am

katy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:31 am Not according to this mornings news, states that 30 yr olds are being vaccinated and the programme is2 weeks ahead. Same locally too. Was in DM or Telegraph. Think it mentioned Moderna.
I always take the source data over any news outlet.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

26 March 800k vaccinated
25 April 340k vaccinated....only 80k first jabs

That is not a blip for one day, have a look at the whole week.

I saw the press reports about vaccinating the younger people, but that is only booking appointments not actual jabs in arms.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:14 am

It is a fact that vaccination of 30 yr olds is starting in May. Some regions are already starting. Of course they are concentrating on 2nd doses, could hardly not do them when due. Our centre has brought forward 2nd doses by 2 weeks, as they did last month and many 35+ have received their first dose.
There could be shortages of doses due to EU withholding orders and today UK said it has sent some to India.
I know it may stick in some peoples throat but overall the vaccination plan has gone well.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:48 pm

Agreed katy. It is very galling to have friends and relatives back in UK vaccinated and here in Spain still only hear of a few friends ( all older) o have had their jab(s).

There are a couple of things Ursula is spinning. THe first is the legal action against AZ. What good will it do? The horse has already bolted. I suppose it shows Brussels is doing something and deflect attention from other concerns we all have.

The second is Sofagate. If you didnt see this it was cringeworthy. I agree with Ursula that she was treated badly at the meeting with Erdogan. Only two chairs for three people. Her left hand man sat in one of them as though it was musical chairs!. She is still going on about it. The important thing is our EU relationship with Turkey which isn’t good.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:28 pm

'Our' EU relationship with Turkey means, I suppose, Spain's EU relationship with Turkey?

Off-topic alert — Ursula should have demanded those two men stand up and get her a chair. If she cannot stand up for herself what hope is there that she will stand up for anything (other then the two men sitting down at that meeting.)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:10 pm

However much you blame the EU for the shortage of AZ vaccine, they were not entirely at fault for the inability of the company to meet the orders.

I am not saying that the EU couldn't have done better but it is also very convenient for Boris and papers such as The Express with their incessant anti EU rhetoric.
I still maintain that the bunch of clowns, which is the UK government, are not clever enough to have predicted the fast rollout of the vaccines. They made many poor decisions which are coming out now but in amongst them they got one right.

They will use this to cloud the realities of their poor performance and bash the EU at any opportunity to whip up more anti EU feelings with their core supporters and more importantly to keep their so called red wall supporters on side.

The reality is Spain is not so far behind the UK and many members of this forum have confirmed that they have been called or have actually had the jab and as production rises we will arrive at the objective a month or 2 at most behind the UK
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:40 pm

I tend to agree with your remarks regarding the Express, i absolutely detest the comic of a publication and will never believe a word they write, even if by some miracle they actually just for once print the truth without their spin and propaganda.

I think Spain is starting to catch up, not that it is a competition, they also have a lesser population to vaccinate than the Uk.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:45 pm

There is an element of deja vu withn that. We said the same things a few week ago.

I was merely pointing out a couple of smokescreens the EU are putting up to divert attention from the real issues. Euronews reports this , not UK newspapers - in the possible pay of the Tories. Let us not forget that we ( EU Europe )are for example paying Turkey to not allow refugees into Europe but “ house” them. EU Europe still hasn’t resolved how to handle migrants/refugees. Or how to deal with Turkey and its oil/gas exploration in disputed waters. There is a long list of very important stuff over some chairs and some cheap vaccine that was trashed at every opportunity.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:44 pm

Mark, The rhetoric is coming from ursula, UK papers do not need to do anything. Read what some of the other European/USA papers say. Note my link was from France 24. Has Boris said anything, only bits I have seen that he justifiably criticised the threat to with draw all exports from an independent company. Doesn't look good when Police can invade a production plant to see where it is sending it's goods. Many other countries have criticised their tactics too.

No it is not a competition , may have been if the roll out had been the other way.