Vaccine war with EU

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Vaccine war with EU

Postby katy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:13 pm

I didn’t say immune. 61% have been vaccinated.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:15 am

Sorry I mis understood as you replied to a comment about immunity when someone said that 70% of the population needed to be immune for their to be herd immunity

You replied the UK was at 61%. Since there was no change of subject in your post I presumed you meant immunity also.

To get to 70% of the population the UK still has a long way to go. That is 46.5 million people fully immunised.

The UK is presently at 8 million people who have been given 2 doses. So 12% of the UK population is fully vaccinated. Still another 53 million doses of vaccine to go to get to 70% of the population having had 2 dosis.

That ignores immunity that those who already have had Covid though.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:20 am

According to SKY this morning 15.5% have had two doses. I would just like to watch the morning news with my coffee and Covid given a minute slot at the end along with the Duke of Edinburgh :D

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:00 am

According to the UK gov website, as of close of business on 13th April the figure is 12.1%

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/easy_read

Govt or SKY.....who would I trust least. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Either way it's still a long way to go get to 70% and I guess that is why the restrictions in the UK are still so tight. I kept seeing the huge vaccine numbers in the UK and wondered why it was not total freedom like in Israel. After digging through the numbers it seems clear to me that the UK is still quite a bit away from it being over. The UK government website says now the focus will be second doses so the big headlines of 61% will slow down.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:15 am

It is now April 15th. Updated every evening.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:19 am

I see there's question marks over the Janssen one now. They were due to give that to those in their 70s here.
https://english.elpais.com/society/2021 ... -hold.html

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:24 am

Yes they have delayed deliveries to Europe.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:39 am

katy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:15 am It is now April 15th. Updated every evening.
The website had not been updated this morning it was still displaying 13th April, hence I used those figures as they were the latest available data at time of writing.

It is now updated as of Close of Business on 14th. I guess unless they have a crystal ball they don't know how many will get vaccinated today.
Figure is now 12.1%. (8,170,081 in a population of 67.61 million)

Unless SKY have their own insde line I would take the government numbers as being correct. Either way it is not 61%

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:03 pm

Suit yourself. Surprising no one has questioned it over many months.
Malta has done well, are they ordering their own?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:03 pm

You could add in a whole raft of other folk into your herd calculations. The ones at have had CV19 - knowingly or unknowingly. I have seen various estimates from one in five to one in three. Or just leave them out.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:10 pm

Pure guesswork to suit that particular days narrative by the so called experts and MSM......nobody really has a clue if truth be told......but the chances of that happening is anywhere between Zero and None.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:40 pm

Personally, I can't understand why there is so much competitiveness. Most of it is nothing more than political one-upmanship. What is important is that everybody in Europe and then the world beyond has the the opportunity to take a vaccine.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:36 pm

The vaccine war with the EU and beyond is political, of course. Before the NHS in the UK parents made the decisions about the health of their family. Then along came government interference. I'm not sure things are any better today for all the decrees, edits, rules and regulations about what vaccine to have and when. My OH was told, yesterday, that he would be vaccinated today. Two hours before the time to go to the Centro Medico in the village, I got a call that the vaccination has been put back a week as 'they' delivered the wrong vaccine for the age group of my OH. He will be getting the Pfizer one next Thursday. I wonder what will happen to the consignment of 'wrong' vaccines? Everyone may have the opportunity to take a vaccine, Mark, but ... which one? If we think it doesn't matter which one then why are there right ones and wrong ones? It's a very confusing war.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:30 pm

In the Spectator.
In Denmark 2 in 2.4 million with clots

AZ 5 in 1 million
Pfizer 4 in 1 million
Moderna 4 in 1 million

So small a margin, Something fishy going on. Not enough vaccines, people covering their asses?
I take a daily pill for a heart murmur. Amongst side effects are rare decrease of some blood cells. Signs of liver problems, confusion, decrease in blood pressure, severe abdominal pain, joint pain, muscular pain. These are stated as 1 in 10,000, very rare. !

steve_w
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby steve_w » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:33 pm

Before the creation of the NHS, healthcare was a privilege of the wealthy.

I'm extremely grateful to the NHS 'out-of-hours' GP whose prompt action undoubtedly saved my life when I developed sepsis a few years ago.

If that's government interference, then I'm all for it. :thumbup: :clap:

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:54 pm

Just be thankful it was a few years ago as your chances of seeing a GP let alone an "out of hours one" are pretty non existent nowadays......let alone if you need an op or pretty much anything NON Covid......Government interference in overdrive :wink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56752599

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:11 pm

markwilding wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:40 pm Personally, I can't understand why there is so much competitiveness. Most of it is nothing more than political one-upmanship. What is important is that everybody in Europe and then the world beyond has the the opportunity to take a vaccine.
Fear and anger are just two reasons.
Fear that a person might cop it or have their life changed by being ill and then recovering.
Anger at the injected delay by Brussels sitting on their thumbs. I did explain this earlier but I think it got deleted. The end result is now, this year, we have a two tier Europe. Those that have got large numbers of their country vaccinated and the people can lead ,potentially, a more normal life including foreign travel. Then there are those - like us in Andalucia waiting for a first vaccine date. Without those vaccinations, I can see our Andalucian lockdown measures continuing in perpetuity for residents. That means no travel outside of our province and no possibility of seeing family and friends in UK for the last time.

You are right that it is important to get nations vaccinated. Buy shares in Pharmas. The new normal will be a large percentage of the population jabbed for each and every variant and booster jabs.

steve_w
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby steve_w » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:13 pm

I have literally just returned from my local hospital where I underwent a routine surveillance procedure for an existing condition.

The procedure had been delayed by about 3 months. Under the current circumstances, I don't have any complaint about that.

You shouldn't believe everything that you read on the internet. :wink:

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:17 pm

steve_w wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:13 pm I have literally just returned from my local hospital where I underwent a routine surveillance procedure for an existing condition.

The procedure had been delayed by about 3 months. Under the current circumstances, I don't have any complaint about that.

You shouldn't believe everything that you read on the internet. :wink:
Indeed people do tend to make up stuff don't they :wink:

steve_w
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby steve_w » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:26 pm

They certainly do.