Vaccine war with EU

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Re: Vaccine war with EU

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:57 pm

katy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:14 am It is a fact that vaccination of 30 yr olds is starting in May. Some regions are already starting. Of course they are concentrating on 2nd doses, could hardly not do them when due. Our centre has brought forward 2nd doses by 2 weeks, as they did last month and many 35+ have received their first dose.
There could be shortages of doses due to EU withholding orders and today UK said it has sent some to India.
I know it may stick in some peoples throat but overall the vaccination plan has gone well.
In direct reply to Katy but also partly to other comments above.

I will repeat the facts (not my opinion) the hard facts of the numbers of doses being administered

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

26 March 800k vaccinated
25 April 340k vaccinated....only 80k first jabs

Feel free to look at all the data the pattern is there.

So what has gone wrong why have overall number of vaccinations gone down, 1 month ago it was 800k a day now it's less than 50% of that number. Why would the authorities not vaccinate at the same number of doses per day?

The physical capacity to vaccinate hasn't disappeared. They haven't closed centres and told medical staff to go home. All the other countries I looked at in the EU are accelerating vaccination but the UK is slowing down. The only conclusion which I can come to is that the UK has a vaccine supply problem.

https://www.gponline.com/first-dose-cov ... le/1712405

https://www.gponline.com/first-dose-cov ... le/1713792

It is not a fact that the the over 30s will start in May, it is a desire, because so many things can go wrong between now and then. Even if that desire is fulfilled it may only be a few over 30s due to stock issues.

I want this situation to be over ASAP and we are not out of the woods until everyone is out of the woods. I am just flagging up that something is going on in the UK as it makes no sense for them to slow down now the number of jabs they stick in people's arms.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:48 pm

They announced in mid March that there would be a shortage of vaccine supplies during April, this was due to an import delay from India.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:41 pm

NI has announced they are vaccinating under 30s as has Wales. Paddy, Not sure where you are going with this, or why. The BBC said this morning that average doses is is 116 thousand and 379 thousand 2nd doses which is 695 thousand per day. Still doing well when a third of the adult population has now had a second dose. Most of vulnerable have now been vaccinated so no panic.

Possibly there are shortages but the UK have sent some to Australia after the EU stopped their consignment and now India. If there is a problem with supplies we know who to blame and at least there is no stockpiling like in the EU with a unused stock of over 20 million. Just demonstrates the vindictiveness of Brussels.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:40 pm

An Italian here off message. Right wing of course :roll:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... itain.html

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:41 pm

Interesting that a number of European countries are buying the Russian Sputnik vaccine. Includes Germany 30 million doses. Last I checked it wasn't EMA approved.

Tied to tensions in Ukraine, the Russo German gas pipeline, part of a bigger experiment? Who knows.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:04 am

katy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:41 pm NI has announced they are vaccinating under 30s as has Wales. Paddy, Not sure where you are going with this, or why. The BBC said this morning that average doses is is 116 thousand and 379 thousand 2nd doses which is 695 thousand per day. Still doing well when a third of the adult population has now had a second dose. Most of vulnerable have now been vaccinated so no panic.

Possibly there are shortages but the UK have sent some to Australia after the EU stopped their consignment and now India. If there is a problem with supplies we know who to blame and at least there is no stockpiling like in the EU with a unused stock of over 20 million. Just demonstrates the vindictiveness of Brussels.
I am not going anywhere with anything. I am just showing the facts. I think there are a few errors in your post. If my maths or my links are incorrect please let me know and if you could provide links to your information it would be very helpful

116 plus 379 is 495 not 695k. Also what period is the average you are quoting? The average of the last 2 days in the UK is 367k, so clearly something is going on if the daily vaccination rate was 35% higher than it is now.

Clearly people are still getting vaccinated but the numbers have dropped massively.

The second dose total is 13 million, so I am not sure how that is one third of the adult population. The UK has to vaccinate about 47 million people so by my calculations about 27% is vaccinated. Happy to be proved wrong if you can show me the official figures.

UK ordered 100million AZ vaccines which is enough for the whole adult population to be vaccinated twice. However they won't give AZ to the under 30s. So even if the EU countries gave AZ to the UK the UK can't use it on the under 30s.

Also I am not sure of where you saw the BBC report of NI and Wales vaccinating under 30s. Here is a link to a BBC article published at 8pm London time

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55045639

The Welsh government says vaccines are now being offered to people aged 40 and over, and some health boards have started inviting the 30-39 age group. There's more information about the roll-out on the Public Health Wales website.

In Northern Ireland, people aged 35 and over are now eligible. They can book online or call 0300 200 7813.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:32 am

The figures came from BBC. Sorry about the total put a wrong figure in the calculator.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:35 pm

The 495k figure is the running average up to Saturday. So it's not taking into account what is happening now. The UK hasn't had 2 working days with vaccinations at current levels since the end of January.

'''Supplies of COVID-19 vaccine for first-dose jabs have been put on hold for a further two weeks from 26 April, NHS England has confirmed.'''

This is from the GP's own news portal. So there may be some sitting in fridegs etc but no new supplies are being sent.

So I can only come to one conclusion....useful vaccine supply is drying up

I read the rest of the BBC link you gave. I see no mention of 33% of adults vaccinated and also no mention of anyone under 30 being either allowed to book appointments or getting vaccinated. Please correct me if I am wrong.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:03 pm

if suppilies of AZ are drying up proves the point of who started this thread. The EU had over 20 million AZ does stockpiles last week. There is still Pfizer and moderna which are being used, Our surgery is 2 weeks in front on 2nd jabs, they put messages on Facebook too. Sure it's not the only one.
I Would be pleased to see Spain France catch up, not just to stop all the sour grapes from some but for the UKs benefit. Not great if British are holidayng in places that have high per 100,000. they may bring back the British virus (or was it kent) :wink:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:04 pm

So I can only come to one conclusion....useful vaccine supply is drying up

That is certainly one conclusion, yes. Another is that the number of people who want to be vaccinated is drying up.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:06 pm

From my Surgery.

23rd April
Dear Patients,
COVID Vaccinations- Changes to appointment dates for 2nd vaccinations
If your 2nd COVID Vaccination was booked for 7
th May has now been moved forward
To 30th April at the same time.
If your 2nd COVID Vaccination was booked for 4
th May has now been moved to 1
st May at
the same time.
If your 2nd COVID Vaccination was booked for 5
th May has now been moved to 2
nd May
At the same time.
We will try to endeavour to contact all patients affected where possible.
Thank you for your understanding.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:10 pm

Lavanda wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:04 pm So I can only come to one conclusion....useful vaccine supply is drying up

That is certainly one conclusion, yes. Another is that the number of people who want to be vaccinated is drying up.
Yes, I imagine quiet a lot of under 50s aren't bothered about the jab. I wouldn't have been. I think that is why there is all the publicity about travel corridors is so that people will get the jab. There are also lots of advertising on social media and TV urging people to get it.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:39 pm

As they get around to younger people demand is bound to dry up especially given the high recovery rate from covid for the under 50s. Why would they take the risk of accepting an unapproved, experimental drug?

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:50 pm

katy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:03 pm if suppilies of AZ are drying up proves the point of who started this thread. The EU had over 20 million AZ does stockpiles last week. There is still Pfizer and moderna which are being used, Our surgery is 2 weeks in front on 2nd jabs, they put messages on Facebook too. Sure it's not the only one.
I Would be pleased to see Spain France catch up, not just to stop all the sour grapes from some but for the UKs benefit. Not great if British are holidayng in places that have high per 100,000. they may bring back the British virus (or was it kent) :wink:
AZ supplies are not drying up. 2nd Jabs can use AZ, so there is no issue there. If you look at the data 2nd jab numbers are going up. Howvere no deliveries of 1st jabs are taking place. That is why the UK can move forwards 2nd jabs.

I already made that point in my previous posts

To quote myself

''UK ordered 100million AZ vaccines which is enough for the whole adult population to be vaccinated twice. However they won't give AZ to the under 30s. So even if the EU countries gave AZ to the UK the UK can't use it on the under 30s.''

''So I can only come to one conclusion....useful vaccine supply is drying up''

Useful vaccine being ones they can administer.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:57 pm

Beachcomber wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:39 pm As they get around to younger people demand is bound to dry up especially given the high recovery rate from covid for the under 50s. Why would they take the risk of accepting an unapproved, experimental drug?
Because for a 40 to 49 year old the risk of hospitalisation (from Covid or vaccine secondary effects) is lowered by 95% and the risk of death is also lowered by 95%

https://english.elpais.com/usa/2021-04- ... group.html

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:20 pm

Although the age groups do not match this is contradicted by the EudraVigilance web site but that deals in actuality not speculation.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:22 pm

And On it goes. EU demands immediate access to AZ vaccines from UK. What do they want to do look at them!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... -vaccines/

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:11 pm

Not to worry, they will soon be using Sputnik! does anyone else think the name is a real put off. :lolno:

Passed my local vaccine centre twice today, seems it was mass vaccination day...mixed group of ages, some looked quite young although the majority were around 40 plus.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:31 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56921018

UK orders 60m vaccines to use as booster jabs for those most at risk.

AZ is the cheapest and most widely available. It is the vaccine that the UK has ordered the most of so is most familiar with and it is the vaccine that has been most widely used with the at risk group in the UK. It is also the easiest to store and transport with the added bonus that it is manufactured in the UK by a UK company. What is not to like?

The UK placed the order with Pfizer.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:22 am

Yes i also saw that news, never gave it much thought, had they said the booster for the most vulnerable was AZ then i'd have mulled over that. Pfizer was the only vaccine used in my area from Dec to end of Feb..Looks like they are going to give those who had Pfizer 1st and 2nd dose the same for the booster...So i'm not surprised the order is for 60,000..