Hayfever season/meds

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Hayfever season/meds

Postby elusive » Sun May 16, 2021 7:36 am

It seems to have started early this year. I've been totally blocked up sore eyes and throat for a few weeks now. Ive been taking the stanadard lotratadine or cetirizine bit tbh i dont think it does much good. Can anyone recommend a stronger generic antihistamine that i can buy over the counter rather than need on a prescription to save the hassle of seeing the dr

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Hayfever season/meds

Postby olive » Sun May 16, 2021 9:41 am

You have my sympathy.

I think you will need a doctor appointment. You might recall on a previous thread, we are sufferers. I tried to get some Loratadina last month and the chemist refused initially because you cannot take them if you have high blood pressure. In the end she compromised and sold me a packet with seven tablets. I bought some more online from UK and had them sent to a friend for onward posting.so far doing the job but we are not in Andalucia. The sore throat and blocked noseI can live with but the eyes are a different thing altogether. You could resort to wearing goggles or swimming goggles.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun May 16, 2021 10:12 am

I have never been asked what other tablets I am on when I've bought Loratadina at the chemist here (or any other pill or potion come to that, unlike in the UK). I've just started taking them now as it's really built up this past few days and I cannot stop sneezing and my eyes are red and swollen. I blame it on the thousands of mango and avocado trees that have appeared in the past few years around us.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun May 16, 2021 1:07 pm

Ive bought cetirizina OTC. Never been asked or refused and stocked up when in GIb but i think like with most drugs if you take them over years the efficiency gets less and less. Last year it started early june for a few weeks.seems to get earlier every year

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun May 16, 2021 4:11 pm

Climate change is one reason given for pollen season lasting longer. Could be.

Being practical there are a lot more pollen bearing trees than ever before plus we don’t seem to get much rain anymore in the pollen season. First job we do when we get home in June is wash everywhere we can with sprayed water , including the roof of the house.

What is interesting is neighbours who never suffered have started these last few years.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun May 16, 2021 5:23 pm

We can wipe the cars down every day and get a load of yellow pollen off them. As we live off road the cars are either usually always covered in dust or pollen, so it's no wonder we sneeze with all that in the air.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 16, 2021 5:28 pm

I remember seeing a news report years ago of kids in Jaen going to school in masks because of the pollen. There is this old thread too way back in 2007.
viewtopic.php?t=11201

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed May 19, 2021 11:49 am

I buy loratadina from the chemist. I used to get it much, much cheaper from pharmacyfirst (uk based website) where you can buy 12x30 for around 12 pounds.. But they cant send to europe post brexit.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed May 19, 2021 5:16 pm

Been to granada today (alhambra wow! Forgotten how incredible it is) and its amazing within 10 mins of been there my nose cleared. Back in the car and ten mins back towards the coast and im bunged up again.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed May 19, 2021 9:55 pm

No pollen filter or new filter?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:34 am

Pollen filters for cars are very cheap, under €10. It's well worth getting one and replacing it every year.

If you drive with the windows open forget that tho.. bit pointless
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.