Healthcare

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Healthcare

Postby Pamela1 » Mon May 17, 2021 9:14 pm

Does anyone know what the new rules on healthcare for retired British people wishing to move to Spain are? I was asked this question today by someone who is looking into moving to Alicante through the Non Lucrative visa method but i couldn't give her any answers. I assumed that she would now have to pay for her own healthcare through healthcare insurance but i didn't like to muddy the waters in case i had the wrong information.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Healthcare

Postby El Cid » Mon May 17, 2021 10:06 pm

Yes, she will need full health insurance with no exclusions for pre-existing medical conditions and no co payments.

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon May 17, 2021 10:32 pm

Thank you Sid i shall pass that info on to her. :)

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue May 18, 2021 9:22 am

Contrary to many people's expectations (including mine), up to date UK Government advice according to their website does say that S1 forms can still be issued to people moving to Spain, post Brexit, if they are in receipt of a UK state pension (or in a couple of other circumstances, see this link).

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare- ... islands#s1

I would suggest your friend should ring the DWP in Newcastle to check, if she is receiving her pension.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:54 am

Ok FAL, that's a surprise, i will contact her and suggest that, thank you. If that is the case then perhaps it opens doors for others who thought retiring to Spain was now impossible for them due to private healthcare insurance costs. i imagine it would take quite a chunk out of the monthly expenditure.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue May 18, 2021 1:54 pm

Yes i would double check with overseas healthcare. Its a bit of a midfield at the moment as its all brand new and theres been lots of mixed msssages interms of can you use the S1 to get the visa but need private to apply for residencia once in spain. Or you van use the S1 for both Also check with the Spanish embassy as what the uk gov site might say is once thing..

Also unlike pre brexit O.A.Ps N.L.V ones wont have access to the uk NHS

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue May 18, 2021 3:29 pm

I don't think there is enough information out there yet.. apart from websites luring those wishing to apply for visas into needing their help, for a price.The nitty gritty info is limited. I think it's pretty much still a grey area until they all get their information pages updated and they all sing off the same sheet.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon May 24, 2021 11:00 am

I'm sure that the "rules" will differ from area to area but this is what happened to me.

I applied 3 times for residencia before I got it right, even now the Spanish authorities have declined to offer me healthcare through the Spanish system.

I now have a green certificado de registro de ciudadano de la union,.this card has my nie and address on it, no photo !

I had to have 7500 euros in the bank (provable with bank statements) plus a certified (by a notary) rental contract AND a years private health insurance, and they stipulate that this has to be paid in full, in advance for one year.

I'm not sure if the green card I have is actually of any use because it cannot be used as a travel identity document !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon May 24, 2021 11:11 am

The healthcarepackage with Sanitas was 1500.00 including some dental care !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 24, 2021 11:15 am

You can change the green card to the TIE. The green card without photo is all we had in recent years, which is why I was keen to change over to the TIE as soon as I was able to. Are you pension age, Manchesteral? Surely you can go down the S1 route if you are? I thought that was always a possibility for Brits here and it had nothing to do with the EU/Brexit as it was a separate agreement between the UK and Spain.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon May 24, 2021 4:46 pm

I have a unique and difficult situation at the moment, within 3 days of getting my green residencia card I was obliged to move to Finland where I have nationality status inorder to egt the best possible health care.

Having spent a fortune on private medical bills in Gran Canaria I came back here and am currently in the middle of a chemotherapy programme so not able to deal with this at the moment, however as soon as I have completed the programme I will be back to sort this out' !

As El Cid has pointed out the main criteria are money in the bank and private medical care, which has to be paid up in full, in advance for 1 year !

Thanks for the info regarding the TIE I will be pursuing it a s a p !

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon May 24, 2021 7:53 pm

I wish you all the best Al and hope you get back to your life in Gran Canaria soon. :thumbup: :wave: :)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue May 25, 2021 9:15 am

Sorry to hear about that Manchesteral. Hope you're soon on the mend and back in the lovely Canaries.