World shortage of blood bottles.

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

World shortage of blood bottles.

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:34 am

OTH was contacted this morning by our local surgery, they told him that they were cancelling his blood test which was booked in for today. The reason being that there is a World wide shortage of blood bottles and for the time being they are only doing emergency bloods. They told him to phone them in late Oct to book a new appointment but they stressed that they could not promise the situation would be improved. The receptionist told me that she was very concerned as her father who is diabetic can not get his bloods done as he is not classed as an emergency..What on earth is going on when even the most basic medical care like a simple blood test is now unavailable..Crazy times.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: World shortage of blood bottles.

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:12 am

Is that in the UK Pamela, as I've seen it on UK TV. I am well overdue my blood tests (they were due in March) and have a phone appointment tomorrow with the doctor to request them, so hope I can have them done OK.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:54 pm

Yes Wicksey, she told me there is a world wide shortage...I hope you manage to get your bloods done...let us know how you get on..
At this moment i am sat in a cafe waiting for a phone call from my daughter, she is in A&E...I am not allowed in, they said her wait will be around 2.5 hrs although there were very few people waiting to be seen...I don't expect her to come back out...she had an operation 10yrs ago after having several bouts of pancreatitis they discovered a tube was blocked due to it not being formed properly from birth..I have a feeling it has blocked again but until they test her blood we won't know..hoping they won't mess her about, she is in agony..

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:37 pm

As the UK is planning to import more tubes from the EU and US, it would not appear to be a problem in Spain.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:02 pm

Same as everything else with shortages, not just the UK even if it does cheer some up. In the news this morning France, Germany and Spain have shortage of HGV drivers too. Like the daily anti Brexit stories about beer shortages etc. Most shortages were caused by main brewer overtime ban. If you broaden reading there are some shortages all over the real world.
Stock exchange statement here calling out fake news in Mirror reports.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/wetherspo ... 59467325K/

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:03 pm

I haven’t noticed any shortages I Spain and have not seen any reported. The only shortage I have seen is the lack of Brit tourists and that’s a blessing!

Huge increase in Spanish though.

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:04 pm

One of those days where everything goes wrong...Went to my car and turned the engine and got nothing...Parked in a restrictive area where i was only allowed to stay 2hrs with no return..Got help with jump leads but had to start to drive home, couldnt risk driving to hospital to park then have the same thing happen again..Gave daughters overnight bag to friends who live in the town incase her blood results meant she had to stay...Not what i had intended...Meanwhile driving home all electrics went! Pulled over and called local garage, they were too busy to come straight out..Luckily DIL was home and could come and get me...Wish i'd stayed in Spain 😂..It is what it is and the main thing is that we get our daughter sorted.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:05 pm

Oops thats big! Sorry part of the disaster day.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:48 pm

El Cid wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:03 pm I haven’t noticed any shortages I Spain and have not seen any reported. The only shortage I have seen is the lack of Brit tourists and that’s a blessing!

Huge increase in Spanish though.

Sid
Just getting back to work and asking the perennial question, "How was you holiday" and I have never heard so many people saying they had been Malaga province. Estepona seems to have been a popular choice
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:31 pm

Marbella was almost exclusively full of Spanish from mid July to 15th August. Mainly rich with second homes. Haven’t seen any shortages here (in Uk ) except reading about them although about time Civil Servants got back to work. Infact this forum is a good source of UK news. Haha.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:53 am

I spoke to the Dr and he said I can collect the paper for the blood test tomorrow and make an appointment, so presumably no problems here at the moment. Hopefully I'll get it done OK in the next week or so.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:30 am

Had my blood test this morning OK. No apparent problems here it seems.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:13 am

That's good then Wicksey, i read a few days ago that the UK are trying to order them in from the EU and USA so i guessed you would be ok.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:57 pm

Of course it's worse in UK :mrgreen: Ikea have stopped blaming Brexit after 2 days they changed statement to

“There are major logistical problems worldwide. For example, there is a great scarcity of containers and container ships on important sea routes because the economic recovery from the corona pandemic is proceeding faster than expected. There are also congestion in ports due to the crowds and Chinese terminals were temporarily closed due to local corona outbreaks. Many IKEA products are made in China.”

Remainers – and some parts of the media enjoying spinning the narrative on their behalf – are refusing to accept the lorry driver shortage is global: iron ore struggles to reach Australian ports; US petrol stations have run out of supplies after a 35,000 fall in lorry drivers; Asia reports a 20% fall in drivers. As the head of policy at the Road Haulage Association said in August:

“Even if we were allowed to recruit drivers from the EU, there’s a shortage of drivers there as well… The only place that doesn’t have a significant shortage of drivers is Africa.”