Shingles

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Shingles

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:28 pm

I noticed today there have been a few adverts on UK tv about Shingles. It is an unpleasant condition, but what caught my eye was the fact that it was put there by GSK (large pharma co), and it made me wonder if this is going to be the next 'big thing' :crazy: or am I just a tad cynical 8) ?
this is the website they were recommending:

https://www.understandingshingles.co.uk ... lsrc=aw.ds
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Shingles

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:49 am

There are two vaccines available, but the best one is Shingrix which is made by GSK. There is more awareness of Shingles in the UK than in Spain. It is available on the NHS in the UK for the over 70's. In Spain you will have to pay for it. Even some pharmacies seem unaware of it, but if you can track it down, it costs €183.

I had shingles two years ago and it was awful. It went for a nerve in my head, the Trigeminal, and it gave me 5 weeks of very severe pain in my teeth and ear, far worse than I have ever experienced. The only thing that would control the pain was 4 very strong opiate painkillers a day (Tr**adol). Luckily I had no after effects which can be quite common. The pain can go on for months after the scabs have gone. A friend recently had it in the optic nerve and nearly lost the sight in one eye.

Believe me, €183 is a small price to pay to avoid it.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:50 pm

El Cid wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:49 am There are two vaccines available, but the best one is Shingrix which is made by GSK. There is more awareness of Shingles in the UK than in Spain. It is available on the NHS in the UK for the over 70's. In Spain you will have to pay for it. Even some pharmacies seem unaware of it, but if you can track it down, it costs €183.

I had shingles two years ago and it was awful. It went for a nerve in my head, the Trigeminal, and it gave me 5 weeks of very severe pain in my teeth and ear, far worse than I have ever experienced. The only thing that would control the pain was 4 very strong opiate painkillers a day (Tr**adol). Luckily I had no after effects which can be quite common. The pain can go on for months after the scabs have gone. A friend recently had it in the optic nerve and nearly lost the sight in one eye.

Sid
It's 183e per shot and its a two shot vaccine...
Regards

Bob

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:18 pm

Some correlation between covid and the covid vaccine and shingles so this might explain the recent adverts etc
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:52 pm

El Cid wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:49 am There are two vaccines available, but the best one is Shingrix which is made by GSK. There is more awareness of Shingles in the UK than in Spain. It is available on the NHS in the UK for the over 70's. In Spain you will have to pay for it. Even some pharmacies seem unaware of it, but if you can track it down, it costs €183.

Sid
Agree Cid. I know someone who had it really bad. I caught it but spotted it early. Just a vague rash when I got up on ribcage. Googled it :mrgreen: . Doctor said to come straight up as if they treat it early it may stop it. Was tested and given anti viral doses. Felt a bit off for a few days but it never got any worse. They gave me the vaccine a few months later. I don't think there is anything sinister in all the advertising. NHS been very vocal about it around here and long before Covid. Posters in Libraries, Pharmacies etc.