Breast cancer, Hospital Comarcal, Velez Malaga

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Weewoody
Tourist

Breast cancer, Hospital Comarcal, Velez Malaga

Postby Weewoody » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:29 am

Hi there, have any of you ladies been treated here? I’m just about pulling my hair out with the time it’s taken. Had a mammogram 5th November as I had an obvious lump. My local GP referred me urgently. It’s been one delay after another to get ultrasound, then biopsy and results. Diagnosis is cancer and operation required asap as so far it appears lymph nodes not affected. Who now knows after all this time? I’m still waiting, it’s supposedly urgent but no date so far. I see the anaesthetist today so hopefully an op soon but my god so far it’s been awful.

Free at Last
Resident

Re: Breast cancer, Hospital Comarcal, Velez Malaga

Postby Free at Last » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:15 am

I'm very sorry to hear about your diagnosis and do understand what a terribly anxious time this is for you. I saw my doctor at the Centro de Salud on a Monday morning in early September 2019 with suspicious symptoms, and she made an urgent referral to the Hospital Comarcal de la Axarquia. On the Thursday morning I saw a gynaecologist there who took samples for a biopsy and did an ultrasound scan, I went back 7 days later and got the results of the biopsy which confirmed endometrial cancer (one of the least aggressive types) and I was told it was at a very early stage and I would only need a hysterectomy, not chemotherapy or radiotherapy. I had an MRI scan at the hospital the following Tuesday then waited a couple of weeks for an appointment with the anaesthetist, and it wasn't until after I had seen him that I got a date for the operation which was done on 26th October. It was 7 weeks between my first seeing the GP and the surgery, which I thought was pretty good given the stage the cancer was at. I had a follow-up appointment a month after the operation and afterwards I have had twice-yearly checkups for the first two years and am now having annual ones for a further 3 years. I had the latest one on 1st December and have an appointment for the next in December 2023. All the checkups have gone ahead with no delays throughout the pandemic. I am aware from the Macmillan Cancer forum that in the UK, with the type and grade of the cancer I had, I would just have been put on a self-referral system, ie "get in touch with us if you notice any symptoms" so in my experience the aftercare has been much more thorough here. I do hope you get a date for your surgery soon and the outcome will be good.

By the way, I had had a lumpectomy some years previously, in the private system here in Spain, when what was described as a cluster of microcalcifications showed up on a mammogram. I had a biopsy then and the results took longer to come back than they did in the public system. Turned out to be benign but the waiting was awful and in the end I had to ring up and chase the results.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:16 am

Weewoody wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:29 am Hi there, have any of you ladies been treated here? I’m just about pulling my hair out with the time it’s taken. Had a mammogram 5th November as I had an obvious lump. My local GP referred me urgently. It’s been one delay after another to get ultrasound, then biopsy and results. Diagnosis is cancer and operation required asap as so far it appears lymph nodes not affected. Who now knows after all this time? I’m still waiting, it’s supposedly urgent but no date so far. I see the anaesthetist today so hopefully an op soon but my god so far it’s been awful.
I hope you get your op soon, best wishes blowing your way.. :wave:

Weewoody
Tourist

Postby Weewoody » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:40 pm

Update - op now scheduled for 12th January! Then I guess wait for more results and treatment plan. It’s all so disjointed. My local GP referred me urgently on 3rd November. I knew he knew what it was by his reaction.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:12 pm

I am glad you now have a date for your surgery and hope it goes well. Yes, there will inevitably be another wait for results because the histology study can't be completed until after the tumour has been removed and the information from that is needed to determine the best course of treatment.

Weewoody
Tourist

Postby Weewoody » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:47 pm

Thank you. At least I’m in the system now, so hopefully things will keep on moving. I guess I was unlucky with all the delays, lots of holidays in December. Roll on op date next week.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:38 pm

Fingers crossed for you - good luck :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Weewoody
Tourist

Postby Weewoody » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:44 am

Thanks all. x

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:58 pm

Do youknow the name of your surgeon ?

Weewoody
Tourist

Postby Weewoody » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:19 pm

My surgeon is Paloma Rey Perez.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:04 pm

OK my wife has had a surgeon that has successfully made her very ill on two occasions. That is not the name.

Weewoody
Tourist

Postby Weewoody » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:00 pm

Thank God for that. She seems lovely and well switched on. I feel in safe hands.

Weewoody
Tourist

Postby Weewoody » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:12 am

Successful operation, now just await call back for treatment plan. Let’s see how slick the oncology department are, I’ve heard good things.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:32 pm

Wishing you all the best, hope oncology look after you and you are soon cancer free.

Weewoody
Tourist

Postby Weewoody » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:57 pm

Thanks IreneD, I’ve been shunted to Malaga Materno for my treatments. I’ve heard they’re good but what a faff as will be having treatments daily. Onwards and upwards!