Allergies

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Allergies

Postby Wicksey » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:49 pm

Anyone else think that this year is particularly bad for allergies? We have been suffering for a number of weeks now. Not so much sneezing but blocked up, runny nose, ear problems and my eyes are just awful, blurry and running all the time. We take Loratadina but I can't take it for long periods and the moment I stop it all comes back. I feel like I've got conjunctivitis at the moment. On top of all the avocados and olives out in flower there's thousands of new mango trees adding to the mix.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Allergies

Postby costakid » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:16 am

I am ok at the moment. I get hay fever and about 8 years ago I walked from Fuengirola to La Cala along the beach and sneezed possibly 500 times. I went into a chemist and they told me it was the worst olive pollen for many many years.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:15 am

Wicksey. Here we go again. Nine weeks and it will all be over.

I have just come back from Engand and started just with lower lung volume. We are lucky enough to be able to escape the worst of the olive pollen by going away.

April is rapeseed, holm oaks and broom in the Poniente. The intensive nature of new tree agriculture in your area is a new dimension to your misery. You have my commiserations.

Easy to say especially with pets but have you considered long term house sitting and effectively decanting to another area of the world for maybe as long as 8 weeks?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:36 pm

Yes Olive we would like to be somewhere else! We lived in SW France and we both suffered there. I'd sneeze up to a dozen times each morning I woke up. I think it was willow pollen there although we were in deep countryside surrounded by fields of maize, sunflowers with lots of woods and hayfields. As much as we like the north of Spain I think the landscape in Galicia etc is too similar to France. I think it may be a number of different tree species here that set us off

We need to go somewhere like Lanzarote or Fuerteventura which are fairly barren, but difficult with 2 cats. Leaving our house for a couple of months is something else that has put us off trying a long term stay anywhere else as our own garden is very well planted and the irrigation system is pretty old and unreliable to leave (burst pipes and leaks can be a problem and the pipes are buried under undergrowth). We do want to move permanently to the Canaries in time, so maybe that will solve the problem at some point in the future!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:39 pm

I've had to take loratadina tablets for a few weeks now, as a temporary measure.

I buy local honey, and have a spoon of it each morning. I will probably stop taking the tablets in a couple of weeks. It seems like an old wives tale bit it works, 100%.

Try and get the most local and raw honey possible. I get mine from alhaurin el grande, for 8 euro a kilo. It is fantastic. I hate it. Far too sweet. But it works. No more tablets for me.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.