Heartburn

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Grouser
Resident

Heartburn

Postby Grouser » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:44 pm

One of the side effects of buying a house in Spain a couple of years ago was that, during the process of purchase, I developed attacks of chronic heartburn. This was due to the stress of remote buying from UK using an incompetant Spanish solicitor. The attacks occur at night and I've been saddled with them ever since, every time my stress levels go up. Any tips, apart from lobotomy, to relieve the problem please?
Grouser

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: Heartburn

Postby Bongtrees » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:53 pm

Just a cautionary note and not meant to be frightening.
and having sat for many months with someone suffering from bowel cancer.

Research on the net shows that it is well documented that significant numbers of patients with no other symptoms had complained of heartburn, indigestion some for many years when the cancer was in the top section of the colon before it was discovered too late for positive outcome. My mate is one of these people.

For anyone over 40 its worth having a colonoscopy with or without symptoms. Am seeing people as young as 20 with terminal bowel cancer.

Mike

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:20 pm

Yes Bongtrees is right get it checked out..in the states it is often known as acid reflux and was one of the symptoms ( and only one among many) when my father had cancer of the esophagus ( he was treated successfully). He had it for a long time before they found he had cancer, but it was a symptom..worth having a very thorough check . A friend who had severe acid reflux had an operation to stop it and it did work but that is an extreme measure, they take only if they think something else is sure to develop. Here is a site that has a bit of info
http://www.diagnosishealth.com/gerd.htm
it does have tips on relieving and avoiding the problem

Good luck
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:34 pm

:shock: I had a fairly stressful lifestyle in YUK and also drank a little too much, as a result I suffered from reflux for years, I always took Gaviscon for it, especially before going to bed. Gradually it got worse with a pain under my ribs if I laid on my Righthand side in bed. Sitting up eased it and I did consider buying an electric bed to assist this posture. Eventually I went to see the man and he put me on Omeprazole, one a day (Proton Pump Inhibitors) it has changed my life, wish I had been put on them sooner. Suggest you "Google" a bit and see if the symptoms are the same. I have three friends now on the same regime and they all say the same thing...wonderful!!
Hope this helps

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:28 pm

Thanks Guys,
I have googled heartburn and stress and find I am not alone by a long chalk. Always reassuring.
Grouser

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:33 pm

country boy wrote::shock: I had a fairly stressful lifestyle in YUK and also drank a little too much, as a result I suffered from reflux for years, I always took Gaviscon for it, especially before going to bed. Gradually it got worse with a pain under my ribs if I laid on my Righthand side in bed. Sitting up eased it and I did consider buying an electric bed to assist this posture. Eventually I went to see the man and he put me on Omeprazole, one a day (Proton Pump Inhibitors)
Omeprazole can react with many commonly used drugs including antibiotics.

More importantly the manufacturers instructions clearly state that it must only be used for a 14 day period every 4 months.

Anyone who has suffered heartburn for more than 3 months should have tests to determine the cause as it is not normal to have heartburn/ indigestion.

Too scared? then try a little restraint and follow the BRAT diet for 5 days Bananas Rice Apple Toast and drink only water. No smoking or alcohol and plenty of walking.

If you still have indigestion get your inards looked at PDQ.

Mike

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:42 pm

8) Spherical objects bongtrees...I'm very satisfied with my life....how about yours? :wink:

AguilaMike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AguilaMike » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:01 pm

Bongtrees wrote: Omeprazole can react with many commonly used drugs including antibiotics.

The side effects I got from it were worse than the effects of the hiatus hernia I was taking it for! Lansoprazole wasn't much good either.

MaggieMay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MaggieMay » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:15 pm

Grouser
To alleviate heartburn/acid indigestion at night you should avoid alcohol, citrus, tomatoes, spicy food, fats, caffeine. Ideally your last meal should be no later than 3 hours before bedtime. If you smoke that will certainly give you problems.
If general over the counter remedies like Gaviscon or Zantac etc are not relieving your symptoms, then you should ask your GP to get you tested.
If it continues left unchecked it can lead to severe Esophagitis or worse to Barretts Esophagus. Whilst your stomach is designed to cope with acid unfortunately the other bits are not, which is what is causing you the discomfort, and can do damage.
It would also help you greatly to raise the head of your bed by 20cm.
Proton Pump Inhibitors such as Omeprazole would be prescribed if you have GERD (Gastric Esophagal Reflux Desease) or Hiatus Hernia to lower the production of acid in your stomach. If you don't have one of these types of proplems you will be prescribed an antacid much like gaviscon to take before meals.
But best to get it checked.
Regards MaggieMay (in a nurses uniform)
I wear it well...........

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:23 pm

Gosh Maggie
Down Gasoline Alley
In a nurses uniform
That presses all the right buttons for me.
Thanks for that. Happily for me the problem is only sporadic and stress related, so I'm doing my level best to eliminate the stress. A preferable course to giving up alcohol, tomatoes and fatty foods. Point taken about late eating though and thankfully I gave up the evil weed years ago. However the thread has been a bit of an eye opener for me. I had no idea that Heartburn could be a symptom of much more serious things and had thought of it as a kind of adult colic.
Grouser