The Pill

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
wisewoman
Tourist

The Pill

Postby wisewoman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:30 pm

Does anyone know if the contraceptive pill is available at pharmacies without a prescription? Am not in the Spanish health care system and my UK supply will soon run out. Don't want to add to the population just now! A friend buys her HRT drugs over the counter this way so am hoping it's the same for the pill?

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:00 pm

Best thing is to go into a farmacia and ask most have an english speaking assistant. I decided to enquire recently about my prescription medication and took the packet in with me, the exact tablets were available for virtually the same price as I get them on prescription for in UK.

luffes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby luffes » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:04 pm

They are available over the counter in most pharmacies. You may have difficulty getting the same brand you used in the UK, so it is worth taking the packaging so that they can offer a suitable alternative.

It normally costs up €10 for one month.
I'm nobody :( and nobody's perfect. Therefore, I'm perfect :lol:

indalo
Tourist

The Pill

Postby indalo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:11 pm

I will keep my fingers crossed you can get them over the counter, but friend of mine came to stay for two weeks and stayed for 3 months and she couldnt get them over the counter - she had to see the doctor.

sioban
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sioban » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:15 pm

You can get them over the counter, but why go back every month and pay 10€, I am on the injection pill and only pay 3.45€ every three months, the only problem is that i have to inject myself as they give the needles aswell!.

Sioban

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:39 am

Have been reading that the Government is beginning to ´cut back´on the things a chemist can sell eg: antibiotics. They will be introducing tracking systems from maker to chemist to sales with prescription. Don´t know if the pill comes into this catagory.

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:18 pm

I buy Microgyon over the counter and it's cost me 4.80 a packet

wisewoman
Tourist

Postby wisewoman » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:38 pm

Just to update on this one: I was able to purchase no more than 2 packets of Microgynon at a time from the pharmacy without a prescription, over 5 euros a packet. I've since found an online site in the Netherlands http://online-apotheek.startspot.nl/ and it works out cheaper even with p+p if you buy, say a year's worth in one go!

lewis
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lewis » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:27 pm

a "packet" of microgynon is that a 3 month dose or one? as i am moving out there i will obviously need to purchase them. in the uk every 6 months you have to be checked for blood pressure etc before you have another 6 months, therefore do they not offer this if it is available over the counter?

wisewoman
Tourist

Postby wisewoman » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:08 pm

The packet available from the pharmacy was one month's worth - so you can buy only 2 months' worth at a time without a prescription.
From the online store a packet is 3 months' worth.
Obviously if you are buying without prescription from wherever, the onus is on you to have your blood pressure checked. I have this done at a local private doctor's clinic along with smear tests etc. I could get her to issue me with a prescription but have found the online purchase to be cheaper in the meantime. I don't even know if they'd be any cheaper with a prescription.

Golden Mile Girl

Postby Golden Mile Girl » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:32 pm

The pill is available without prescription from the pharmacy in Gibraltar, you can purchase as many months supply as you like - 6 months supply cost me £7.40.