Antibiotics

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
juliesteve&joe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Antibiotics

Postby juliesteve&joe » Mon May 08, 2006 8:12 pm

Can you buy antibiotics from pharmacias in andalucia please?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon May 08, 2006 8:13 pm

Yes. Easier if you know which one you want.

juliesteve&joe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby juliesteve&joe » Mon May 08, 2006 8:14 pm

Great- thanks for the info

CaroleE
Tourist

Antibiotics over the Counter

Postby CaroleE » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:30 pm

Hi everyone, my sister who lives in Tenerife has just told me that she can no longer buy antibiotics in the Pharmacia without a doctors perscription. She said this was an EU ruling about 3 months ago. Does this apply to mainland Spain as well, we are moving to the Antequera area next month.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:43 pm

I think it is coming in the Almeria province at least - an article in our local paper last week suggested that it won't be long before it's stopped. That's a real shame, it now means more queues in the doctor's surgeries.
:x :x
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:38 pm

technically, they shpouldnt be selling them without a prescription anyway, and they are trying to tighten up on this. many pharmacies will not sell them without a prescription, or any other medication that requires a prescription, unless they know you, or its a fairly common problem that the chemist can actually see or hear, (skin rashes, chest infections etc)

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Sat May 26, 2007 8:14 am

I thought I would resurrect this thread to see if anyone has any updates on whether antibiotics are available over the counter in Andalucia.

I occasionally take antibiotics in tablet form and would like to be able to buy them as and when.
Last edited by teralin on Sat May 26, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sat May 26, 2007 9:16 am

Our local chemist wouldn't sell me antibiotics a few months ago for a possible ear infection but was happy to sell us some for our dog last week :? It did help that the vet had told us which one to buy and the dosage.

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Sat May 26, 2007 9:58 am

I recently ( a month ago at most) bought antibiotics across the counter, without any problem. so yes it can still be done, but it will depend on the individual chemist and the particular medication requested

annie_d
Resident

antibiotics

Postby annie_d » Sat May 26, 2007 5:35 pm

I am no "earth mother" but i am wondering whether the easy access to antibiotics in Spain will result in alowered immune system? I have a son of 23 and 2 girlsof 21 and they have never had antibiotics.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

anti

Postby Julie » Sat May 26, 2007 8:44 pm

If I go into Adra 10 mins away from home, which is in Almeria province, you can not buy antibiotics, if i go 10 Min's the other way into Granada province, i can buy them no problem.
Had a chest infection last week and this happened, i got my Spanish neighbor to go in the chemist in Adra and they wouldn't let her have them either.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat May 26, 2007 10:19 pm

My local farmacia is brilliant - staff speak good english although I am getting better in Spanish. They will give antiobiotics without prescription but they are experienced and will question you carefully before issuing anything. For example, they will not give antiobiotics for flu and advise it must just take it's course, but will if it is a cold that persists. They always make sure you understand that you must finish the course to avoid creating an immunity against that antiobiotic.

kirmas
Tourist

Postby kirmas » Mon May 28, 2007 12:59 pm

I always just ask for amoxocillia and they give it over no problem. Although i havent bought any recently so not sure if its still ok.

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

drugs

Postby gronc » Mon May 28, 2007 3:44 pm

I have not had any trouble buying various prescription drugs (UK) in Spain.
Have bought antibiotics, omeprazol for my stomach and blood pressure drugs, though you do pay a lot more for them without prescription.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Mon May 28, 2007 6:13 pm

It was Amoxicillin we bought last week without difficulty, although it was for the dog, and I also buy Thyroxine over the counter which I actually think is far more dangerous than selling antibiotics over the counter. Regular overdoses of thyroxine can cause heart problems but there is no necessity to have a blood test here :? fortunately I've been taking it for so many years I think (hope) I would be able to tell if I was taking the wrong dose.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:41 pm

I agree with Annie d. Overuse of antibiotics are causing more antibiotic resistent infections. It also means that they are less likely to work when you actually need them. Antibiotics ONLY work on bacterial infections and not on viruses. Technically Dr's should be taking samples to check whether the infection is viral or bacterial before handing out these medicines and I don't think that you should be able to buy them over the counter (although here in Sabinillas you can).

Antibiotics when used correctly are a wonderful tool but, overuse is leading to them becoming useless.

My children aged 5 & 7 have never had antibiotics or even Calpol. During the winter here it seems that the children are on antibiotics every other month!!!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

anti

Postby Julie » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:44 am

Problem with waiting for blood tests is, you could be dead before they diagnose you. It takes a week in the UK to get a doctors appointment, probably at least another 10 days for results of a blood test

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:38 am

Not had a blood test here but another test that took 4 months to get the results back in the UK took less than 10 days here! I have heard that some pharmacies here will do blood tests and the results are received very quickly, same day in some cases.

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:01 am

Crazyred, you have been very lucky with your children I envy you!

I do agree with everything you have said about the over use of antibiotics but not all of us have such healthy children! And I am not quite sure what you are insinuating by the fact your children have never needed antibiotics or Calpol and that children here are prescribed them often. My child has had bad illnesses and has been hospitalized for them needing antibiotics and analgesia far stronger than Calpol but that is not due to a fault on his behalf, my behalf (being a overprotective mother and rushing to the GP for a sniffle!) or the fault of over prescription of antibiotics. Had we waited on several occasions for blood tests and culture and sensitivity test results my child could have been in a very serious condition. I know what you are getting at essentially but please don't make assumptions that because your child has not needed such treatment it is not necessary for others. Sorry if I appear prickly on this one but I think yours was a slightly emotive message!

Maybe I need to go and buy some Valium! :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Busymum

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:42 pm

Busymum,

I am not attacking you. Your child needed antibiotics which is fine, there was a need for them. And, my children DO get ill, I just choose not to use antibiotics/paracetamol for every cold like many of the mothers in my area. Actually my son was hospitalised last year with a genetic blood disorder that we didn't know he had. He had to have a blood transfusion and they wanted to put him on an Ibuprofen drip. I asked the Dr could I give him homeopathic remedies instead for the fever and they had no problem with that.

My point is that by giving antibiotics etc for every little infection they are doing no favours to people who actually need them as the medication will have lost it's effect. I know a mother in the UK who gives out Calpol whenever the kids ask for it!! She must go through a bottle a week and God only knows the damage it will do to their stomachs in the long term.