Uk GP notes

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
juliesteve&joe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Uk GP notes

Postby juliesteve&joe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:12 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know how or if GPs in Spain get our records from the UK.
We move over in August,a nd although fine now, my baby boy has been very poorly in the past, and i feel as though his past medical history is of importance. Do we get some sort of history from our Gp before we come out? Any advice greatly recieved.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:11 pm

I asked my UK GP for a copy of my records before we came out to Spain I and brought them with me. I was lucky and was not charged for this service.

However, my Spanish doctor took one glance at the 9 pages and decided he didn't want to know. I've recently moved to another district and will be organising another nearby doctor shortly so I shall take them with me again and see what happens this time. It made a good reference for myself to see exactly how long ago I had certain health problems.

I personally think it's a good idea to do this but I have heard that some people have had to pay.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

mickhick

Postby mickhick » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:23 pm

Same here, we paid for copies of our records before we came over. Have heard that some Spanish GP's will only accept the records if they are translated (understandable) but that could work out a little costly when you realise how many pages your records take up!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:39 pm

Its not just GB records they ignore. We are in Helicopters sanitarios (home doctor 365/7) and if they leave a report to take to the GP the GP just tosses it aside.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:04 pm

Personally I have never known a doctor take any notes here when you visit them. Even last year when I broke my ankle and had extensive surgery on it, I never had a file of notes after I left the hospital. They call me back regularly for checkups, but ask me each time how many screws/rods were put in but don't have even a record of which leg it was. Any xrays and blood results you are given to look after yourself, and it is up to you to tell the doctor what he did/said previously each time unless you go so often that he remembers. If you go for a mammogram etc., you just keep the results. The doctor won't know when you go back another year. I've got used to it now. I still think the in hospital and aftercare here is much better than in the UK; they just have a different attitude to keeping records.