Restaurante Cantueso, Periana

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:05 am

has anyone had lunch or stayed here?

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:17 am

it used to be a lovely, cosy place run by a very nice spanish man antonio. it has since been taken over by english and has changed completely - very expensive menu, not very friendly and no longer somewhere you can go and drink and 'tapear on the terrace' - they expect you to eat a full-blown pricy meal and get out. they have spent a fortune on trees and flowers but don't seem to know much about how to run a restaurant business. no longer as popular with the locals.

el canuelo up the mountain is a good substitute - just been reopened by a lovely spanish girl and her boyfriend. basic food at good prices and lovely views.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:36 am

Thanks oscarposcar for your interesting response ... I had never heard of this place until I noticed a very fancy advert on the Viñuela weather website ... and good to know El Canuelo has reopened ...

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:41 am

that's exactly what they're trying to be - fancy - but still have paper table cloths! shame you didn't experience it when it was at its best under previous ownership...

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:17 pm

Yes, I wondered whether to say I wish I had known it under previous owners ... but then I would just be disappointed again ... like you sound!

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:23 pm

A good example of how Brit owners can ruin what used to be somewhere a little bit special!

Food now grossly overpriced and inferior quality with surly staff.

Only good thing about it now is the view at sunset - stunning.

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:54 pm

that 'same old view' as they bizarrely market it as - hardly enticing for newcomers...

johnwp
Andalucia.com Amigo

same old view

Postby johnwp » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:53 am

yes like your other commenter's ,Cantueso Restaurante has the view but not the rest, fortunately I live not to far away and have the view also may be I should offer private home cooked food at realistic prices !! or wold the tax man chase me !!!!! suggest try a lovely restaurant in Vinuela follow the road down into the village , when it gets narrow and one way you will see the place on your right opposite a little fountain.

am keeping the name secret.

eric

cantueso

Postby eric » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:51 pm

Is it really that bad .It always seems very busy?

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:31 pm

I guess the only way to find out is to try it... For me it was the prices and the rude owner who drove me away, having been going regularly since it opened. But of course there will be many who don't mind the prices nor the surly staff...

eric

cantueso

Postby eric » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:26 pm

Thanks oscarposcar.Well I have decided to go and try it out very soon so watch this space!!! Saludos Eric

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:25 am

to eric ... if you want to head up into the hills far from the madding crowds of malaga ... suggest you also at least have a drink at Hospederia Retamar in the hills to the north of Riogordo ... not easy to find but a lovely old farmhouse (bar, restaurant, pool and rooms to stay overnight etc) in a fantastic isolated location with great views of the mountains around there ...

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:32 am

or el canuelo which is further up from cantueso.

eric

Postby eric » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:53 am

Thanks Guys. Was in periana 2 weeks ago and canuelo was closed again They cant seem to keep it open.Will keep the other suggestion for later as i am back in uk for a few weeks.To be honest the quality of food and its authenticity to me is more important than price.I have had extremely high priced rubbish in some parts of spain and tend to find the further inland i go the better it gets.However i dont know how they work their businesses but staff have to be paid and profit made to survive so i am happy to pay 20 euros plus drinks for two decent courses especially when that is less than £15 uk. It is a great country and i dont like going on my short trips back. Talk soon
Eric

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:17 am

canuelo is open now but it shuts on tuesdays.

eric

Postby eric » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:58 am

Thanks I will try it within the next few weeks.What sort of food do they do .I hope good tapas etc and is it it pricey?

hectare

Postby hectare » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:57 pm

Know what you mean about profit but food should be seasonal and therefor not too expensive.Tapas vary in price but you should be able to eat good tapa and drink house wine for less than 20 euros and feel like you have had a great meal.I would like to know what others think who live in rural andalucia and what sort of prices they pay

marsupial
Tourist

Cantueso

Postby marsupial » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:29 pm

Hello,

I would like to give an accurate, unbiased review of Cantueso. I cannot comment on the previous owners because we have only lived here a couple of years and discovered Cantueso in February of this year, shortly after they opened under new management.

The food is generally very good, although as with all restaurants there will be good and bad culinary experiences. The prices can be on the expensive side, for example we both had a mushroom lasagne (12 euros) that measured 5 square inches and contained about 2 mushrooms and was as dry as a bone and almost totally inedible. That was the worst meal we have had at Cantueso, however the majority of the meals have been very good, and the specials have changed every time we have visited, so there is variety. I have not had a good steak at the restaurant, yet. One was tough as an old boot. Let us hope it is not Zebu?!

There IS tapas as Cantueso. It arrives as a mixed tapas starter, and the dish is excellent and can even be served as a main course, and indeed starters and main courses can be mixed and matched with no problem. So, you CAN sit out and tapear on the terrace, or at the bar. The starters are reasonable and you do not have to have a second course.

Cantueso also have a free bottle of wine offer on (as a I type) so if you have a bottle from their wine list, you will get a free bottle to drink or take away. This is a good deal since there are many reasonably-priced wines on the menu. The house wines are also reasonabe, around 7 or 8 euros I recall.

Much work has been done on the grounds and to the rental accomodation. This makes for a very pleasant atmosphere and this is important to me (personally) since I do not like eating in messy, uncared for restaurants with horrible toilets :( Of course the food is the main issue, but it is certainly never the only issue for me personally. Cantueso is immaculate and you can see the cooking area if you sit inside.

The staff at Cantueso are not rude, indeed we have been welcomed many times and have had long chats with many of the staff. The staff are attentive and they check if your food is satisfactory, and will change a meal with no hesitation if there is a problem, as we have done once or twice on occasion when there has been an issue.

If the staff were truly rude at Cantueso they would not have any business at all, so perhaps the earlier poster could elaborate on the "rudeness" exerienced? However, in defence of the esrlier poster, the English staff (and owners) of Cantueso are a little on the pedantic side; they can fuss over very minor things. For example, I spilt some wine or oil on my menu and the lady owner thought this was a real "issue", when in fact another page can be printed in 10 seconds... it was more embarassing than insulting, to be honest.

Suggestions and constructive criticism: Please Cantueso, you need to get more laid back; the customer is king. The paper tablecoths are horrible and blow everywhere when you are trying to eat. Portions of some main courses could be larger. 20 euros for a Salmon main course was exorbitant. House dogs should be tethered.

I have not tried Canuelo, but will pop along soon. Other good restaurants we like are Chez Spice at Los Romanes, for excellent (but pricey) Indian fare, and the lovely Comares hotel/restaurant which is housed in an old mill (located off Comares square). The atmosphere here is amazing, and incredible views. Oh and the food is not bad either.

I will forward this thread on to Cantueso and we have certainly not been "driven" away by them, indeed we will be going back soon.

Regards,
Mr Marsupial

marsupial
Tourist

Canuelo

Postby marsupial » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Hi again,

We popped up to Canuelo today and it was a delightful place. The hamlet of El Canuelo itself is tiny, and the restaurant is housed in an old cortijo with an impressive vine hanging over the eating area. There has been a large fire in this area recently, and on the (steep) drive up the land is visibly black and charred.

For 33 euros we shared a starter of aubergines in black honey and my wife had Salmon, and I had a steak. The steak was excellent and melt-in-the-mouth: the Salmon was equally as good. Both meals were served with crushed potato in olive oil, with locally grown tomatoes. The servings were large. For postre we had melon and two coffees. Bargain, at around 12 pounds a head, including two beers and tip.

Staff were nice and the locals chatty and there were a number of ex-pat walkers who had popped in for lunch.

I hope Canuelo does well and that we can get up there in the winter! The track was single width and pot-holed to death. The rains will doubtless make the road worse, but if you can get up, it is worth the drive.

Regards,
Mr Marsupial

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:07 pm

Surely reviews are subjective and therefore cannot be classified as inaccurate or biased? My comments were based on my experiences at the restaurant (and many others I have spoken to have had similar experiences). And perhaps they are learning by their mistakes - let's hope so.