El Gecko, Esatacion Cortes de la Frontera

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

El Gecko, Esatacion Cortes de la Frontera

Postby Roz » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:54 pm

Has anyone been for a meal at El Gecko recently? Would appreciate soome feedback. We used to love going there when it first opened, but have heard mixed reports since it changed hands

Manxman
Andalucia.com Amigo

El Gecko

Postby Manxman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:35 pm

Hello Roz

I have just stayed in Cortes de la Frontera for a couple of weeks and visited El Gecko a few times.

The new chef Robert is fantastic, he was working down on the coast and has brought his culinary experiance with him.

This may sound sad but we had Donna Kabab for lunch one day.

In the evenings we ate mostly steak which was great, starters included Thai chicken salad and thai fish cakes. Others comented on the steak and ale pie and other delights all in the possitive.

Sara is running front of house, very well.

While we were their we saw parties up from Gibraltar, Horse Trekking groups, Walkers, Bird watchers etc. All eating and drinking, some staying in the hotel.

All in all, an excellent experiance and one we hope to have again in the near future.

Adrian :D
Manxman living in Manchester.

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Roz » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:04 pm

Thanks Manxman go to hear that. We are going over to our house next week and if we get a chance will try El Gecko, do you know if they have a day the restaurant is closed?

Manxman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Manxman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:52 pm

I am not sure you would have to give Sara a call or drop them an email at [email protected] to be sure

We ate there Wed to Sunday inc but up in Cortes most places had shut for holidays, the big Ronda Bullfighting Festival was on and I think places close down for a break but not El Gecko.

We asked for thai fish cakes and they made them special for us. I am sure they will also do other things but the menu is quite extensive and changes weekly I think.

I have found these telephone numbers (0034) 661 124 371 & (0034) 952 153 386

Hope you have a good time, say hello to everyone for us.

Adrian & Norma
Manxman living in Manchester.

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Roz » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:57 pm

Thanks again, only staying for a week and have friends coming to stay so not sure of our plans yet. If we have the chance will give it a go again.

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:58 pm

Really good to hear Sara is doing well. :D She certainly desrves success.
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

Bandy
Resident

Re: El Gecko, Esatacion Cortes de la Frontera

Postby Bandy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:32 pm

Just had a quick chat with next door neighbour in Cortes. He says the new chef Rob is brilliant and the grub superb!! :D :D We are coming over post Xmas until the NY :D and will be sampling personally so I will report back but the news so far looks excellent for foodies in the area!! 8)

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:26 pm

Recently back from New Year celebrations in Cortes. Had a brilliant evening on the 31st at El Gecko. :D :D The food was excellent and as always the atmosphere was superb as Sara and Nafecia looked after all the diners. Can't wait for the summer ............shame not to be going sooner !!
There were quite a few folk up from the coast including some from Marbella and they well all impressed. I thoroughly recommend a visit :!: :!:

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Roz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:00 pm

Not sure why my posting today has vanished, just wanted to keep this subject up todate and tell those interested what I had discovered about the new owners at El Gecko.

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Just back from Cortes having gone to survey the damage done to my farmhouse in the recent floods. Thank God for insurance :!: :!: :clap: :clap:
Anyway, I had to stay in a hotel and despite being topsy turvy with flood damage in the lower level of their hotel the new owners Bill and Maxine Findlay made me extremely welcome :thumbup: . El Gecko will rise to its former glory and more I am sure under their careful and sympathetic ownership. Despite being officially "closed" at the moment to sort the damage out they nonetheless did a brilliant bed and breakfast with the room being very clean and comfortable.
I ate with one one night and it was excellent fare :D :D .
They will be open soon and I will be returning with my far better half arriving on Feb 14th when Brian and Maxine are full with guests and are doing a Valentines meal and stay special :D :D .
Then its a week of shopping for EVERYTHING to replace all the flood damaged stuff :crazy: :x