Nerja restaurants

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Nerja restaurants

Postby ashfieb » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Off to Nerja for valentines weekend, anyone know of a good Indian restaurant for Friday night and also any Spanish places doing a valentines night special meal ?

cheers, Barry
Cheers, Barry

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Nerja restaurants

Postby katy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:09 pm

The Paradors are doing a Valentine dinner. 45E each person.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:48 pm

Indian is so much a personal taste thing, someone will like one while others will not like it and prefer somewhere else however The Havili probably has the best ambiance but to my taste mediocre food and service while I think the best food is the Taste of India on C. Carabeo but it's a personal choice.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:02 pm

I seem to remember a posting mentioning a really good Indian in Torrox. Ok so not in Nerja but the Indian there is really just ok, Torrox isn't far and a good Indian is worth a short drive along the coast.

Not tried it ourselves yet but it's way up there on the list.
Regards

Bob

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:19 pm

The one in Torrox Costa, highly regarded, is called Light of India, near the lighthouse, it is, to my taste good, but not quite as good as Taste of India, I have been and been totally satisfied (food wise) when with friends who do not care for the ambiance of TOI

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:26 am

The Light of India has just opened another restaurant in Torrox. It is on the left hand side of the N340 just before you get to El Morche.

The chef from the other restaurant is now in charge there and the menu is the same except for the fact that there is a single charge of €12.95 for as much as you can eat! The only proviso - no doggy bags allowed!

Sid

ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ashfieb » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:49 am

Thanks Lyric,

We went to the Taste of India, really good night, food and ambience spot on !

Cheers, Barry
Cheers, Barry

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Very pleased you enjoyed it, when the owner returns from India I will let him know.
Was in top form on Sunday night but only eight covers and one take away all night ! Very busy on Saturday it seems. Hard times I'm sure the sewer works don't help.

ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ashfieb » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Yes, The sewer works do not help, it was Sat night when we were there and it was quite full, a very nice girl from Durham served us and she said the owner was back in India. We will be back soon I hope.

We also had a very good meal on the Friday night at Mesón de Antonío in calle Diputación Provincial ( they were fully booked on Valentines night )

Cheers, Barry
Cheers, Barry

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:44 pm

El Cid wrote:The Light of India has just opened another restaurant in Torrox. It is on the left hand side of the N340 just before you get to El Morche.

The chef from the other restaurant is now in charge there and the menu is the same except for the fact that there is a single charge of €12.95 for as much as you can eat! The only proviso - no doggy bags allowed!

Sid
Wahey that's at least one meal sorted when we go over in a couple of weeks time.

In Nerja itself we are rather partial to Asian Bens opposite the Balcon and Jose y Victorias which I think is in Calle de Malaga, not far from the Lao restaurant which appears to have shut down. Very good home cooked food including an excellent gambas pil pil. which dare I say it we prefer to the version at Taberne de Pepe.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:58 pm

Yes I know them both very well. Ben's is very good but sometimes the service goes away and the food can suffer. I once had some crispy duck that must have gone through the frier on three consecutive days - crispy no, cremated yes! Still when it's good it's very good.

I like Jose and Victoria and have been going there with a bunch of friends for lunch for many years. My only criticism is that the service is dire if he is busy. The food is good but you might wait a while. Bearing in mind his kitchen is the size of most people's shower room he does pretty well.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:50 pm

I have been to the Light of India near the Faro in Torrox (after rave reviews on here a while ago)and I think it was the best Indian meal I have had since leaving the UK 8 years ago. I was interested to see that they have opened the second restaurant in Laguna Beach but have read a poor review of it recently saying that the food was no-where near as good as the original restaurant. I'd be interested to know if that is the case as, with drinks, the 'all you can order' menu will still work out to be quite expensive for two people (compared to what I usually pay that is, anyway). I see Haveli in Nerja do an 'early bird' menu for 11€ including one drink, but I'm not sure what you get for that.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:08 pm

We've just come back from the Light of India at Laguna Beach. The menu is just about the same as the one at the lighthouse, but with no prices. Drinks not particularly cheap, including 3 cokes and a coffee it was 32 euros, but we were absolutely stuffed, and the food was just as good as the other one. They have prawns in lemon and black pepper on the main courses, and it's fabulous. Well worth the money, although the decor is a bit strange - looks like an Austrian chalet where they used up the orange paint. But well worth a visit - we normally pay best part of 50 euros at the other one. If you're close enough they do a take away menu which looks pretty good value.
AlisonB

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:13 pm

An update on Light of India. The one at El Faro is closed temporarily. We've just called for takeaway at the Laguna Beach one, and the owners were there. Apparently the community are doing some work on the building at El Faro and it has caused them infrastructure problems, so they have closed until the work is finished. So at the minute the laguna Beach one is the only one open. And the takeaway was delicious.
AlisonB

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:49 pm

Went to the Light of India at Laguna Beach last night - grave error!!
The quality of all the food had gone way downhill since previous visits - strange tasting Tandoori mushrooms, spiceless onion bhajis and chicken pakoras, fatty lamb in the Rogan Josh...
Cheap and cheerful we thought, being kind, but the sting in the tail was that before I could reach home my bowel forcibly emptied itself, filling my pants, jeans and socks with a runny and odious version of what I had eaten!!
Never, ever, again - I like my bacteria more spiced... :thumbdown:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:10 pm

Old thread but nevertheless ... the Taj Mahal beside Supersol in Torrox is infinitely better.
The service however is woeful.
Dave

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Aw Come On peteroldracer

You must give them a chance. How about trying 2 out of 3, that seems only fair? I have had that kind of reaction before, but only in India and after Kingfisher beer! Must say, the pressure was tremendous, but at least a couple of hours later. I do sympathize .

Fred

:sick: :sick: :sick:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:15 pm

Last night was my 3rd visit, but although prices had gone down, sadly so had the quality.
That sort of reaction is due to nothing more or less than poor health and safety control in one way or another - should never never happen.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:58 am

Mowser wrote:Old thread but nevertheless ... the Taj Mahal beside Supersol in Torrox is infinitely better.
The service however is woeful.
We have only been to the Light of India once, just after they moved to Laguna Beach, and although we didn't suffer the horrendous experience peteroldracer describes, we were so unimpressed by the food we never went back.

We share Mowser's opinion that the Taj Mahal in Torrox Costa is much better, but not his opinion of the service. We have always found them very pleasant and efficient, and it is amazing, having paid so little for the meal, to be offered a free drink (of your own choice, not some horrible violently coloured liqueur) on paying the bill.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:22 am

Free at last

Don't get me wrong. We found the staff very helpful. The trouble was that on each occasion we went, the restaurant was full and there was only one waiter on duty. During one visit, we sat down at 7:00pm and finally paid the bill at 11:00pm
It does say a lot for the place that it WAS full.
Dave