music

Suggestions and comments for entertainment, nightlife, ferias and culture in Andalucia.
wollie
Resident

music

Postby wollie » Sun May 06, 2018 9:31 am

I was at an outdoor event last weekend of flamenco music and dance which was amazing.
I was wondering if violin/fiddle is widely used as one of the performers were playing same.
He was a very good musician as was the guitarist, the dancers were also brilliant.
Just wondering...

Many thanks...

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: music

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Just to be pedantic, a violin and a fiddle are the same thing just a different musical style, Violins are not, in my experience widely used in Flamenco although having said that I was performing recently at a music club in las Palmas where one of the musicians accompanied me to, "Dead flowers" and "Sweet Virginia" on violin and it worked very well even though those songs were not written for violin, so why not with Flamenco ?
I think, in the main, Violin, Viola, and Cello is restricted to classical music, at least here in Gran Canaria anyway

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:20 pm

I'd be interested in how you came to be playing those two stones songs Manchester.

I've never heard a violin being used in Flamenco, but I think it would fit in well with the gypsy vibe.

Violins and cellos are frequently used in all generes of music e.g. Gypsy Jazz of Django and Stephan Graphelli.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:22 pm

violins are part of Verdiales, a moorish-flamenco genre I reckon
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:24 pm

RichardCoeurdeLion wrote:I'd be interested in how you came to be playing those two stones songs Manchester.

I've never heard a violin being used in Flamenco, but I think it would fit in well with the gypsy vibe.

Violins and cellos are frequently used in all generes of music e.g. Gypsy Jazz of Django and Stephan Graphelli.
Fabrica de isleta in Las Palmas have a jam session every Sunday night, they are two of my favorite Stones songs, there just happened to be a violinist on stage at the time, so we got going and did it, Piano, violin, bass, lead guitar and drums plus me, didn't sound too bad.
Django Reinhardt fed very well off his violinist, and Grappeli is in a class of his own !

Manitas de Plata often used a violin to accompany him but never in front of the paying public only to his friends and relatives, he was related to the Reyes brothers of the Gypsy kings, fantastic artist !

CielodeCadiz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CielodeCadiz » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:19 pm

Violin is trending right now in flamenco. Have heard some very nice ensembles with a violin backing up El Pele and Los Farrucos, among others.