Moving to Andalucía /Take 3

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Swallow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Moving to Andalucía /Take 3

Postby Swallow » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:13 pm

It's 10 years since I joined this forum and investigated moving to CDS , our UK house didn't sell so we got no further and life moved on , kids went to Uni etc. Another tentative perusal 5 years ago but again UK life got in the way . So third attempt and this time it's a bit more promising as my wife retires in March '22 and is very keen , apart from Covid putting the world on hold Brexit happened and researching all stuff move to Spain is a bit vague with ever moving goalposts and the promise of some UK / Spain agreement concerning expats .

What I have ascertained so far and I'm not 100% sure this is correct .

I can apply for a Non Lucrative Visa if I have £xxx in a Spanish (?) bank , successful application will come with my NIE .
I will be 66 next June so I get my UK State Pension and can get free Health Care in Spain
My wife will be 63 so will need Private Health Insurance for 3 years ?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moving to Andalucía /Take 3

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:42 pm

The free health care for pensioners moving to Spain ended 31/12/20. You will need full health care, report from doctor that you are both not suffering from certain illnesses, a police report that you have no criminal record, will have to pay increased prices for uk goods…and all this ignores the effects of Covid that could go on for years.
Also… https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/family ... d=msedgntp
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:03 pm

Free healthcare for pensioners in receipt of a uk government pension are entitled to healthcare in Spain.Brexit did not change that..If you visit the uk gov pages which have been updated since brexit you will see the information which clearly states that.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:02 pm

Your wife would be covered as a dependent until she reaches pension age I understand. The question is whether you need to take out a year's insurance in order to get residencia, then once you are registered as a resident you can get the S1 and apply with that for your free NHS cover. Neighbours have done it recently, and I think they did it like that. So you would need private insurance for the first year.

This is quite a good article setting out the requirements. Quite a bit more required now that the UK is out of the EU.
Can't get the link to load properly. It's spanishpropertyinsight.com and the article is "I’m from the UK: How do I get a non-lucrative residence visa for Spain?" If you Google that you should get it, but it seems to be very comprehensive.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:43 pm

If you are on f.book i suggest joinging the group brexpats in spain run by anne hernandez . They will give you all the info you need. Basically you will need to apply for a visa from the spanish embassy in the uk. The amount goes up every year but at present you need to show around 32k for a couple(pension or lump sum) ontop of the health requirements stated above.that entitles you to a one year visa. At the end of the first year you need to show double the amount so for eg 64k. That visa lasts for two years. At the end of the third year you need to show double again so 64k for eg then once you have been here 5 years you are in and thats it. The visa costs around 600 each and once granted you have to arrive and then apply for your residency in spain with x amount of months. Its something like month to get to spain and 3 months apply once here. Or the other way around i cant remember.so basically you need to have all your ducks in a row before applying

If you want to drive you will have to take a spanish driving test but there are negotiations about being able to do a swap ongoing so that will prob change.

Swallow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Swallow » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:43 pm

Thanks all for the replies , I'll do the advised reading and yes I'm on Facebook so will join that group , cheers .

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:32 am

If I may add,

Don't be put off by the negative information that is floating around everywhere at the moment, and remember that
situations are different for many people, so be clear as to the correct path that you must follow.

Remember that the best things in life are usually the most difficult to obtain... :think:

Saludos,

Gordon...

Swallow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Swallow » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:03 am

BENIDORM wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:32 am
Remember that the best things in life are usually the most difficult to obtain... :think:

I'll show that to my wife :D

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:09 pm

BENIDORM wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:32 am If I may add,

Don't be put off by the negative information that is floating around everywhere at the moment, and remember that
situations are different for many people, so be clear as to the correct path that you must follow.

Saludos,

Gordon...
Good advice, Most of us a scratching around in the dark after Brexit. I know Elusive suggested Facebbook but It would be handy for others who might want to do the same if you would keep the forum updated with your experiences should you try to go ahead.

Swallow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Swallow » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:57 pm

markwilding wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:09 pmIt would be handy for others who might want to do the same if you would keep the forum updated with your experiences should you try to go ahead.
Most certainly will , as I mentioned wife is retiring end of March and I hope to have made some progress before then . We were discussing it last night and besides the paperwork the hardest thing to get our heads around is the swap around , we may do it with a buffer , ie take the holiday home route first , this is mainly because of son and daughter are in a transition regarding homes/jobs , all Covid related .

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:10 pm

If you or your wife are taking private pensions ie the 25% make sure you take it in the tax year before you become spanish tax residents as its taxable in spain.. tax year runs jan-jan here and you become tax residents 6 months after arrival. So arrive from july and you dont become tax resident until the following year.

Also similar re capital gains tax if you sell a uk house. It can be alot so sell up in the previous tax year if possible

Swallow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Swallow » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:18 pm

Ok @elusive thanks for that .

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:42 pm

elusive wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:10 pm If you or your wife are taking private pensions ie the 25% make sure you take it in the tax year before you become spanish tax residents as its taxable in spain.. tax year runs jan-jan here and you become tax residents 6 months after arrival. So arrive from july and you dont become tax resident until the following year.

Also similar re capital gains tax if you sell a uk house. It can be alot so sell up in the previous tax year if possible
Good advise Elusive, there will have been many caught out with this.

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:25 pm

i too would be very interested how things progress as this may well be my path next year