Loja a safe place to live?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Kaz_K
Tourist

Loja a safe place to live?

Postby Kaz_K » Thu May 16, 2024 8:10 am

Good morning

After searching to relocate from Menorca to possibly Loja I have a few questions if anyone can help

Is it a safe place in the town and any areas to avoid ?

Why are properties so cheap?

Do they speak Spanish or is it like here there own (mix similar to Catalan)

Any other information would be really appreciated

PS we are buying not renting (as we mentioned in another post we have a parrot and do not want stressed out moving around)

Thank you in advance

Kaz

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Loja a safe place to live?

Postby Enrique » Thu May 16, 2024 9:04 am

Hi Kaz_K,

Good day to you.............

"Do they speak Spanish or is it like here there own (mix similar to Catalan)" ..............drop the 's' .........e.g.. Buenos días

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialecto_andaluz

"is it a safe place in the town and any areas to avoid ?" .............Member Benidorm will give you the info on this one.

"Why are properties so cheap?" ............ It's inland and prices are much lower, example a large village house went for 28K in this area.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 16, 2024 9:29 am

I think most areas have a local dialect, but all the years we have been here we do find the Andaluz quite difficult. We notice it when we go to other parts of Spain, like Madrid, where they speak a purer form and I can get on so much better. I do struggle with languages but it's the same everywhere. (When we lived in France we spoke French better but then the locals all spoke a Gascon dialect!)

I would check out the weather, Benidorm can help with that. I think it can very cold in winter like most inland areas, and hot in the summer but perhaps less humid than where we are on the coast. It depends on what you are looking for in an area weatherwise. For us we wouldn't want to be any colder than we already are in the winter. The modern houses are not well insulated where we live and it's like living in a breezeblock garage mid-winter and can feel cold. I know you want to buy, but I would try to rent in the area you're interested in even for a couple of weeks holiday, as you'll get much more of a feel for it.

We've been trying out places by using Airbnbs and it's been interesting. We're thinking of spending at least a couple of months of summers elsewhere. Currently way up in the mountains but it's too isolated with too many twisty roads to be here for very long. I also like to be not too far from a good supermarket (Mercadona/Lidl). I know these are my personal thoughts, but we are trying out some different areas for long summer breaks and it has been interesting. We have to take our cats with us so that limits us to an extent.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 16, 2024 9:34 am

I will do a reply later

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 16, 2024 6:07 pm

Hi,

Loja is a nice place to live. About 20,000 inhabitants. The sitting mayor has done a great job in improving the town and they have a good programme of events all year though you have to work to find out eg “recital for 30 people was well attended”. Reported in the towns free newspaper - El Corto de Loja. Available online. Once you are here and integrated , it is a bit easier to find out stuff! The town also runs various free Spanish lessons to cater for various levels from beginner upwards. Tthey do expect you to buy a ream of paper though. The classes run by Jose Manuel are very good.

Is it safe? Yes. It is still an area where everyone knows everyone else. Nowhere is crime free although I guess those stockades with a security guard managing entry maybe above average!

Where to live? Loja is situated in a river valley ( Rio Genil) and the main town stretches from that up to the ring road. Above that is the motorway - A92. The motorway gives great connection with Granada 30 mins and Malaga 45 mins. Seville and Cordoba likewise 90 mins and 70 approx. On the other side of the river is the newer part San Fransisco and the train station. “ high speed trains “ to Granada and Seville. That may cease as it is being rerouted to shorten journey times between G and S.

Either side of the town is a backdrop of attractive hills/ mountains. We like the 3D aspect. To the south is the Sierra de Loja. 1600 metres high an astonishingly quiet wilderness. Plenty of info on the climate but cold in winter and hot in summer - 44 last year. There is a good municipal pool and a well equipped new hospital both in the valley bottom. Each August the council do a free evening for Retired folk on the padron. Five course dinner, music, raffle and the mayor goes round every table and talks to everyone.

Areas to live? If you have a car almost anywhere. Parking in the casco historico is a problem , as it is everywhere in Spain.I would avoid the area near the old bridge in the main town. It looks a bit run down. Of course come back in 30 years and those houses will have shot up in value and the area will be the “ Albaicin” of the town. Plenty of good supermarkets. Mercadona and Lidl with a good independent between them. Also a Dia and a Consum in the town centre. Over the years the town centre has moved from the cathedral area to where Dia is. That might influence your decision.

Plenty of good restaurants but dont expect any “ all day English breakfasts”. Atracon, ABQ, Cilantro and el Cerro are good.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other Qs.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 16, 2024 6:58 pm

That's a very interesting post olive. Would you say it's a less humid summer heat? Friends live in Padul just south of Granada and they think it is a dryer heat .... the humidity down near the coast was horrendous last summer. We've just spent a couple of nights in Granada and Alpujarras and although we know it will be hotter there in the summer we thought it may be cooler in the evenings and a dryer heat which is slightly more bearable! Also trying to get away from the noisy barking dogs here too, there's more every year here and they bark all night which drives us nuts, plus music from the Costa and the holiday homes at night.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 16, 2024 8:24 pm

Spain is a noisy place.

Humidity. Definitely dry here. Last year we took a short break in lovely Malaga city. We took more clothes than necessary and used all of them- it was only 36C but so humid. We were glad to get back to 39 dry heat.

The Alpujarras are lovely but it takes a very long time, even now after all the road improvements , to get around. We are trying Western Andalucia out at the moment. Very windy and greener……… Very hard to find the perfect place.

Loja has a cable TV company and so the town has good internet plus outlying “ in mast sight” areas too.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 17, 2024 8:26 am

olive wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:24 pm Humidity. Definitely dry here. Last year we took a short break in lovely Malaga city. We took more clothes than necessary and used all of them- it was only 36C but so humid. We were glad to get back to 39 dry heat.

The Alpujarras are lovely but it takes a very long time, even now after all the road improvements , to get around. We are trying Western Andalucia out at the moment. Very windy and greener……… Very hard to find the perfect place.
The place we stayed was about 6 minutes on track and wonderful when we got there, but the road from the motorway torwards Orgiva was also a good half hour of bends which we're not too keen on.

It's been very windy here and up in the Alpujarras too this week. The west coast is particularly bad though. The only place we've never been to in Andalucia is around Huelva, west of Doñana.

Kaz_K
Tourist

Postby Kaz_K » Fri May 17, 2024 9:04 pm

Enrique wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:04 am Hi Kaz_K,

Good day to you.............

"Do they speak Spanish or is it like here there own (mix similar to Catalan)" ..............drop the 's' .........e.g.. Buenos días

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialecto_andaluz

"is it a safe place in the town and any areas to avoid ?" .............Member Benidorm will give you the info on this one.

"Why are properties so cheap?" ............ It's inland and prices are much lower, example a large village house went for 28K in this area.
Thank you for the information still in shock about the prices

The link for the language is very interesting

Thank you
Last edited by Kaz_K on Sat May 18, 2024 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaz_K
Tourist

Postby Kaz_K » Fri May 17, 2024 9:12 pm

Wicksey wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:29 am I think most areas have a local dialect, but all the years we have been here we do find the Andaluz quite difficult. We notice it when we go to other parts of Spain, like Madrid, where they speak a purer form and I can get on so much better. I do struggle with languages but it's the same everywhere. (When we lived in France we spoke French better but then the locals all spoke a Gascon dialect!)

I would check out the weather, Benidorm can help with that. I think it can very cold in winter like most inland areas, and hot in the summer but perhaps less humid than where we are on the coast. It depends on what you are looking for in an area weatherwise. For us we wouldn't want to be any colder than we already are in the winter. The modern houses are not well insulated where we live and it's like living in a breezeblock garage mid-winter and can feel cold. I know you want to buy, but I would try to rent in the area you're interested in even for a couple of weeks holiday, as you'll get much more of a feel for it.

We've been trying out places by using Airbnbs and it's been interesting. We're thinking of spending at least a couple of months of summers elsewhere. Currently way up in the mountains but it's too isolated with too many twisty roads to be here for very long. I also like to be not too far from a good supermarket (Mercadona/Lidl). I know these are my personal thoughts, but we are trying out some different areas for long summer breaks and it has been interesting. We have to take our cats with us so that limits us to an extent.
Thank you and very interesting regarding the language.

We have lived in a small village so we want a bit more life and agree about the supermarkets :)

We are going to be booking a few days to spend time in the town to find out way around and get a feel for things ( so far it is ticking all out boxes)

Renting is not an option with having the parrot but appreciate the suggestion

We live in a very humid island so dry heat will be great , winter am fine with that too

Thank you again for replying

Kaz

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat May 18, 2024 8:36 am

We've been on holiday to Menorca and whilst we found it very pretty and lush, the mosquitos were the worst ever! We stayed in Alaior in the centre of the island. I know from watching the Spanish weather forecast, the Balearics often get a lot more rain than us down here. There was a huge thunder storm when we were there in late August/early September a few years back.

Good luck with your house hunting!

Kaz_K
Tourist

Postby Kaz_K » Sat May 18, 2024 12:59 pm

olive wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:07 pm Hi,

Loja is a nice place to live. About 20,000 inhabitants. The sitting mayor has done a great job in improving the town and they have a good programme of events all year though you have to work to find out eg “recital for 30 people was well attended”. Reported in the towns free newspaper - El Corto de Loja. Available online. Once you are here and integrated , it is a bit easier to find out stuff! The town also runs various free Spanish lessons to cater for various levels from beginner upwards. Tthey do expect you to buy a ream of paper though. The classes run by Jose Manuel are very good.

Is it safe? Yes. It is still an area where everyone knows everyone else. Nowhere is crime free although I guess those stockades with a security guard managing entry maybe above average!

Where to live? Loja is situated in a river valley ( Rio Genil) and the main town stretches from that up to the ring road. Above that is the motorway - A92. The motorway gives great connection with Granada 30 mins and Malaga 45 mins. Seville and Cordoba likewise 90 mins and 70 approx. On the other side of the river is the newer part San Fransisco and the train station. “ high speed trains “ to Granada and Seville. That may cease as it is being rerouted to shorten journey times between G and S.

Either side of the town is a backdrop of attractive hills/ mountains. We like the 3D aspect. To the south is the Sierra de Loja. 1600 metres high an astonishingly quiet wilderness. Plenty of info on the climate but cold in winter and hot in summer - 44 last year. There is a good municipal pool and a well equipped new hospital both in the valley bottom. Each August the council do a free evening for Retired folk on the padron. Five course dinner, music, raffle and the mayor goes round every table and talks to everyone.

Areas to live? If you have a car almost anywhere. Parking in the casco historico is a problem , as it is everywhere in Spain.I would avoid the area near the old bridge in the main town. It looks a bit run down. Of course come back in 30 years and those houses will have shot up in value and the area will be the “ Albaicin” of the town. Plenty of good supermarkets. Mercadona and Lidl with a good independent between them. Also a Dia and a Consum in the town centre. Over the years the town centre has moved from the cathedral area to where Dia is. That might influence your decision.

Plenty of good restaurants but dont expect any “ all day English breakfasts”. Atracon, ABQ, Cilantro and el Cerro are good.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other Qs.
Wow thank you for this and agree once you are somewhere it is easier to find things :) I have saved the local newspaper link and great to hear about the Spanish classes (we have got by all these years living here but would be nice to actually hear more and practice)

Hope I did not sound rude to anyone living in Loja (I should have worded it better and apologize if it came across as that) we have been spoilt in menorca all these years and wanted to check

Great to hear recommendations and the only English breakfast I have eaten since I have lived in Spain is the one I cook at home lol

Thank you again I am sure I will ask more

Kaz

Kaz_K
Tourist

Postby Kaz_K » Sat May 18, 2024 1:01 pm

olive wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:24 pm Spain is a noisy place.

Humidity. Definitely dry here. Last year we took a short break in lovely Malaga city. We took more clothes than necessary and used all of them- it was only 36C but so humid. We were glad to get back to 39 dry heat.

Loja has a cable TV company and so the town has good internet plus outlying “ in mast sight” areas too.
Dry heat suits us fine ( I am currently sat in horrible humid conditions and my hair looming like some one from frazzled rock lol)

I was going to ask about internet as need fibre optic for my work ( we currently use movistar)

Kaz

Kaz_K
Tourist

Postby Kaz_K » Sat May 18, 2024 1:05 pm

:D
Wicksey wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:36 am We've been on holiday to Menorca and whilst we found it very pretty and lush, the mosquitos were the worst ever! We stayed in Alaior in the centre of the island. I know from watching the Spanish weather forecast, the Balearics often get a lot more rain than us down here. There was a huge thunder storm when we were there in late August/early September a few years back.

Oh that has made me smile if you get less mosquitos

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat May 18, 2024 1:58 pm

safe from ... expensive housing? ... humidity/mosquitos? ... crime ? ... climate change? (fire, floods, drought) ... banking sustem/internet collapse? ...
who knows what/where anyone is safe these days!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun May 19, 2024 5:07 pm

Kaz_K wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:05 pm :D
Wicksey wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:36 am We've been on holiday to Menorca and whilst we found it very pretty and lush, the mosquitos were the worst ever! We stayed in Alaior in the centre of the island. I know from watching the Spanish weather forecast, the Balearics often get a lot more rain than us down here. There was a huge thunder storm when we were there in late August/early September a few years back.

Oh that has made me smile if you get less mosquitos
We get a lot where we live as we have a very lush garden and we seem to suffer more than friends of ours.

We went to an animal rescue place in Menorca and I was eaten alive all up my legs with bites, plus the house we rented didn't have nets and the kitchen had loads in when we arrived. We had to buy fly spray to annihilate them all!

We can't spend any time outdoors here and rarely eat outside apart from sometimes in the winter when there's no flies. Other people don't seem bothered by them as we are. In the accommodation just outside Granada we stayed at last week we sat out and ate our dinner which was lovely. Even the presence of chickens around us didn't seem to attract flies.